Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
White plastics + lush rim colour = you done good. Your bike is pleasurable for the eyes.

I'm planning on DIY painting my rear rim black to match the front, any tips?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! Big fan of your build, been checking it out for awhile! The white is such a bad ass color, from an Audi R8. I've actually been thinking about a redo this winter...might switch it up to something different or just fix some spots and repaint the white.

If I do the white again, I'm going to choose another wheel color. Ever since I painted them I've been seeing a **** load of white bikes with red wheels in my area...

Just when I thought I was being original...

As far as tips...just sand the hell out of it! I used a high grit scuff pad on mine, followed with a self etch primer, sealer, then paint and clear. Let all the coats dry real good before applying the next coat.

I'll be honest, this time around...no matter what color I go with, I think I'm having mine powdercoated. The paint has a tendency to chip very easily.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What all did you have to do to get the ZX-14 shock in? I'm thinking about adding fairings/brackets to mine, where did you get yours? Looks good..

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shock was probably the easiest mod I did (on the technical side of things) I just put in on a rear stand, loosened the top bolt a little. Loosen the lower links and the shock slides out. Had to file down the top mount on the new shock and the top mounting area as the ZX shock is a tad wider on the top mount than the stock shock. All in all it took about an hour.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thanks for the tips :) It's good to know that someone's reading my build thread haha, it feels like I'm talking to myself whenever updating it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Where can I get reflective rim strips? All the ones I found online seem to get bad reviews. Which ones did you have luck with?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really need to say, I love how the bike looks... I realllllly want to do this with mine
Thanks man! I remember my bike looking like that in the good 'ole days!!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where can I get reflective rim strips? All the ones I found online seem to get bad reviews. Which ones did you have luck with?
Man, I think the brand was like ProStripe or something like that. I got it at a local bike shop here in Cincy..(Cycle Specialties) Worked great and I had it on there for like two years.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Would you be able to find out? If not, I understand...I'm just a little tight on $$, so I don't want to waste any.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did a little google research, think it was the ProGrip brand. It comes with an applicator, but I layed that **** out by hand. Just set my wheel on a garbage can and had at it...But I think the main thing is (as usual) preperation. Clean those things off real good and deep like before you apply, with some good wax, tar, and grease remover.

Give it a nice clean surface to stick it to... :drool:

(That's what she said)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sexy color scheme! I like it alot. Did you rent out a paint booth or do you have connections/work at one? I've been wanting to get into auto body...because I don't have enough hobbies ;-)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^Thanks man! Yeah I work at a shop as a manager. Been in the industry for about 16 years doing paint work. It's something you need the patience for, it can get pretty frustrating at times...

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
All right, I'm just going to say it. You asked for comments so here it goes.

In my opinion, I think the gold carriers on the front rotors are out of place. I really like the color scheme (I also, really like white bikes for some reason), but it looks like everything on the bike is either white, red, silver, or black. I don't see any other gold and I think it would be better looking in some other color.

But then again, well, that's just like my opinion, man. ;D

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't ever post on my thread again.

Just kidding man, was actually thinking about painting that part of the rotors...I have a couple of ideas for her this winter with maybe quite possibly changing the color(s)...

I do have a gold chain and the tops of my forks are gold though if that makes it any better!!!:highfive:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts