Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wish that there had been a build forum when I bought my SVS around two years ago. There was not. So I've already made a lot of progress that is un-logable. Not the biggest deal in the world. Worse things have happened....barely....

Since I bought the bike in Feb of '08, I have done a few modifications to start to get it the way I want it. It's coming along. Performance wise, I've swapped out the stock bowl-o-jelly rear shock for one from a ZX10r. I had a Holeshot slip-on for most of the bike's life (with me) but I JUST finished installing my new Renegade Carbon Duals. There is no better sounding exhaust for the SV650. Hands down.

The guy before me managed to lightly drop the bike on both sides, coincidentally giving me the excuse/opportunity to paint my bike white. I'm pretty sure looking at Nudist's bike on the top of the screen was the biggest contributor to this. At any rate, it's not bad for a rattle can job. I think I'm going to redo it when it warms up a little bit.

I'm waiting for Luis to get my parts back so that I can install this

I'm most excited about this mod. I simply cannot WAIT to lay down a larger footprint in the back.

This is how the bike looks right now.

Oh my sweet Lord, I love the look of dual cans. I can't get over it.

After the GSXR wheel is on the rear, my next upgrade will be to the forks. I'm waffling between Sonic Springs and 15wt. oil or a complete GSXR front end. It sounds lame, but I just finished doing a really nice and time consuming paint job on my SV front wheel to match the black GSXR rear wheel, and I'm going to feel like it was all for nothing if I move to a GSXR front end. I know, I know, I'm lame. PM me your opinion/experience. I'd love to hear it.

Stay tuned for updated pics w/ the GSXR wheel!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
December 17th, 2009

I've started to a-mass parts for my GSXR front-end swap. I plan to give a breakdown of price and parts used. Things are coming together very quickly and that makes me happy. Honestly, if you take a look around your garage, you will find $$ everywhere.

Here are my forks.

2006 GSXR 1000. I purchased these from E-Bay for $300 shipped. Included were the forks, lower and upper triple, steering stabilizer, front axle, brakes and lines. I didn't have to bid on them. The seller didn't meet his reserve on the auction and I proposed him an offer. Not the safest way to E-bay, but this is the way I get most of the stuff I want.

These babies also came in. I know it's lame, but these are what I'm most looking foward to.

2005 R6. Simply bolted on with a few washers to center them on the rotor. Easiest swap ever. I paid $50, shipped.

Next, I scored an amazing deal on an '09 front wheel from E-bay complete with rotors. I did the same thing as with the forks, but with a little twist. I was doing my normal daily search for parts and found a local guy in Cleveland parting out an '09 GSXR. He had 40 watchers but no bids w/ about 2 days left in his auction. He had started the bidding @ $100. I offered him $150 over the phone and the rim was in my car 20 minutes later. I LOVE E-BAY.

Also roughly figured out the placement for my speedo magnets.

As far as magnet selection goes, these are rad, b/c they have a 3MM course thread bolt on the back end of them. They are here and they cost me exactly $3.80. So all that's needed for mounting is 4 3MM course thread nuts and washers. Simply place the magnet inside 4 holes in the rotor (equally spaced), place your washer on the other end and then tighten down the nut. Excess thread at the end of the magnet can be shaved off w/ your Dremel. I wanted to go this route b/c not all of us have access to a lathe like Jim did when he fashioned his infamous magnet holders. It's the same concept.

For my speedo, I'm using this. ($23.22) Same one as most write-ups here talk about, but the older threads reference a part number that Digi-Key no longer stocks. This one's exactly the same, just made by a different company.

The pin-out for this particular Hall-Effect Sensor is as follows:

SV-----------------Sensor
Orange/Red ------> Red
Black/White ------> Black
Pink -------------> White

This info pertains to 1st Gen bikes only! Now, 2nd Gen's may be exactly the same but I have no effing clue. I've never owned nor ridden, nor worked on one.

I didn't take pics, but Zoran's top bearing and race came in. ($45 shipped) I also got my new 520 front sprocket for the GSXR rear wheel conversion. Just waiting on Luis' kit. Once I have that, the rear wheel will be on in 20 minutes. Oh, purchased some front stainless lines as well. Those should be in the mail rather soon. (Thanks Aram)

Here's how she looks right now.

I plan on starting to tear off the existing front-end this weekend. I'm going to paint the new lower-triple. Most people seem to use bed-liner for this. I think I might go with left-over black rim paint and clear.

I plan on another update after the weekend. Can't wait til Spring already. In Ohio, I've got a solid 4 months at least to have this thing humming. Sigh. Better get started.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
December 27th, 2009

Ah, I love Sundays.

I had a lot of time to kill the past few days because my wife is out of town, so I tore into my front end conversion like I've been meaning to. Almost everything is here. The major thing I'm waiting for is my clip-ons. I ordered them from TLZone.net w/o realizing that the home-boy parting out his TLS was in Norway. Whoops. 15-20 days of shipping time, he says. :(

Some pics from the i-Phone. Sorry, wifey has the digi-cam.

Improvised Tool #1

A punch on the end plugged into an ill-fitting socket extension. I was going to buy a new punch to knock out the old race (application for this tool) from underneath, but I couldn't find one long enough. I jammed a 90 degree bracket I had sitting around into the socket along with the punch and it kept it pretty stable. Just annoying as hell...

Improvised Tool #2

This one is well documented. I wasn't comfortable using a flathead and a hammer to set the torque level of my lower stem nuts. I decided not to use the Komodo-Draggin tool b/c it's $75!! This "tool" is a deep-socket 1 1/4" socket found at your local auto store. Take out your dremel (and if you don't have one, it's the best $50 you'll ever spend), grab one of the nuts and use a sharpie to mark your cuts. Took me about 45 min to make this tool and saved me about $70. Plus, now I can properly torque the nuts instead of grunting it out and guessing. Well worth it.

As for the rear wheel, it's on hold for now. I received my kit from Luis on Wednesday, but it was the holiday so I didn't open it. I was all excited to put the wheel on on Saturday, but I realized when opening the box that Luis forgot to give my cushion rubbers back :(:(:( I can't put anything together until he gets those to me. sigh. My day off is Wednesday. I should have an update then. Hopefully.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
January 4th, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I finally got the rear wheel buttoned up. Luis mailed my cushion rubbers quickly and I threw this wheel on as soon as I could. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the look.

Now, as for the front end, I'm waiting for a ton of parts in the mail. I've officially decided to go mostly naked. I took all of the fairings off to do this work and decided never to put them on again. I do have a little something planned for the headlight. It's been done before, but I threw in my own touch and made it mine. More to come on that later. It's still in its early stages of development.

Got the digi-cam back from wifey. Here's some clearer shots of the front end that aren't iPhone sucky.

D'Ecosse's steering stops came. It literally took 2 minutes to install those. I'm really at a stand still as far as the front end's concerned. I'm still waiting on my clip-ons. I'm still debating them because of the ridiculous rise the ones that I bought have. My original plan was just to mount them further down the fork tube in order to keep roughly the same height as the S clip-ons had. Now that I'm going naked, I don't need a rise at all. I might pick up some GSXR ones instead. There's just so many things to buy!! Right now, I can't stop thinking about levers, but I can't justify dropping $100+ on those right now. Someday.....

Til next time. Hope these parts come fast.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
January 11th, 2010

So, folks, I have a quick update for you. As I've mentioned, I've decided to go [mostly] naked. I worked on my front fairing today, which I've stolen from a 2005 Buell Firebolt. I know that this was done before [here]. I did manage to add my own twist. I've trimmed the fairing down.

The red marks are where I'll trim the fairing stay. The stay is obviously set up for stock mirrors. I'm using bar-ends instead.

This set-up also gives me the dual HID (w/ projector) look that I've been craving, but isn't really possible with a 1st Gen b/c of the reflector-style headlight glass.

I'd love to spring for some Koso guages, but can't afford the $300+ price tag. Vapors and Veypors and whatever else aren't really attractive to me, plus it's important to me to keep the stock Odo going strong. For all of these reasons, I decided to retrofit my stock "S" guages on the Buell fairing stay.

Here's a picture of the back.

I'm still trying to figure out whether to leave these as is or try to fit the gauge shroud from the "S" set-up as well. I've already hacked it up a bit, but it's just not the right shape to fit this stay...understandably....

I spent $75 for the fairing and the fairing stay. I spend $100 for the projectors and headlight assembly. I had my heart set on this set-up, and was blown away at how expensive the projector set-up was, but this was the cheapest price I could find.

I scoured E-bay and finally found one for that price. The stay and fairing were acquired off of a Buell forum. I have a little chunk of windshield that I'm going to use as well, mainly for aesthetics. No function, really. I guess every little bit helps.

The retro-fit required me to hack a new hole w/ my Dremel for the stock gauge connector. no big deal. This fairing stay is heavy duty. That sucker is ridiculously over-built for its function.

I'm still waiting on a few parts for the front end. I did get my clip-ons I was waiting for, but I'm now waiting on a GSXR master cylinder that I've decided to use. I should be throwing the front wheel and braking assembly on soon.

Til then....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
January 17th, 2010

Just a quick little update. Over the long weekend, I've found some time to throw on the front wheel (w/ tire) and the braking assembly. These are really just test-fits, but you know the drill. Some pics.

So the front wheel is finally holding its weight. I'm happy to get the thing off of the jack. I always had to be so careful around it...thinking I was going to trip and knock it over. Still waiting on my GSXR master cylinder. Unfortunately, it looks like it won't get here til Tuesday b/c tomorrow's a holiday.

Thanks for continuing to follow my painfully-slow progress.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
January 18th, 2010

Small update. Still trying to get the placement right. Just wanted to show you all what I got done today.

Here are the mounting points. Kind a hack-job, but it works. The thing isn't going anywhere.

I think it's too far away from the forks. Moving it in will be a lot of work, and I will have a clearance issue when turn the forks to full lock. It's pretty close already.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a day off of work today, and my GSXR master cylinder came in! So, I could finally put much of the controls together. I did that.

This little fairing is being quite a b1tch. I drilled new mounting holes in the fairing stay and mounted it closer to the stem, which worked out WONDERFULLY as far as asthetics go, BUT, of course, I didn't think of the implications or such a move. The little problem I overlooked was that of the radial master I decided to use. As you can see in the above picture, it sticks out quite a bit....so much so that when the forks are turned far-left, my brake lever is hitting my gauges. :( I'm still trying to figure out this problem. The thing that sucks is I already removed material from the stay. It's much harder to put it back. It can be done, it's just annoying as hell.

There's my rant for today. If I could get this fairing issue sorted out, I'd be done!

I'll post pics of that once I get it figured out. grrrr...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
January 23rd, 2010

Discussion Thread Now Open

Another Saturday, another 3 hour alotment of "bike-time" (Phrase patented by my wonderful wife)

Screwed with this fairing some more today. Finally got it on the bike how it's going to sit. I've probably put 10-12 hours of work into Dremeling, changing, molding, hacking, and shaping this phacking thing. As I mentioned a post or two ago, I hacked a big chunk off of the mounting posts on a hunch, which pulled the fairing closer to the forks. The look was awesome, but I just had multiple clearance issues. I could turn the forks no where near full-lock. No U-turns for Marcus. So I fabbed up some ghetto ace-hardware mending-plate brackets. It worked out better this way, b/c I could use BOTH of the original stem-holes as opposed to just one with the old set-up.

We'll see how it holds up. I tried to move it around and it's solid as a rock.

So she's pretty much ride-able at this point. Too bad there's still a few inches of melting snow on the ground. I'm scared to pull her out of the garage to wash her, let alone try a test ride.

I also threw the belly-pan back on since I'm finished with the rear wheel and exhaust. I think it looks bad-ssa, to the max!

So, moving foward, next steps are as follows:

1) HID kit install (I suck as an electrician. I may need some help with this)
2) SS lines (Still need to purchase)
3) Speedo install (Waiting on Hall Effect sensor)
4) Paint the fairing (Waiting for warmer weather)

There's more to do, I'm sure, but this is my short list.

Here's a few more pics b/c I can....

Til next time...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
February 3rd, 2010

Had a day off of work today, so I got a decent chunk of time to button a lot of things up..... enjoy!!

HID's

First off, a HUGE thanks to D'Ecosse for helping me figure out how to wire up the relay for these lights. I couldn't have done it w/o him.

I rigged up the lights to turn on only when my hi-lo switched is on "low". Turning it to "high" actually shuts the lights off. I did this because it's not always necessary to blind everyone when putting on your gear, etc. Now I can turn my lights on when I want, not when the ignition wants.

The relay gives the HID's access to direct power from the battery. This also saves my bike wiring from being fried inadvertantly.

The following is the pin-out for wiring a relay on HID's in case you decide to do it. This is pretty basic.

D'Ecosse said:
Battery + to fuse (15A) to relay pin 30
Battery - to relay pin 85
Output to ballasts to pin 87 (both wires to this one terminal)
Control 'on' signal (from old headlight low beam - white wire) to pin 86.
I followed this to the "T" and didn't have any problems making the system work. Yah for no "gremlins"!!

6000k. They aren't as blue as they look in this pic

Steering Stops

Several people asked me about D'Ecosse's steering stop option. If you have a 1st Gen, don't think about it. Don't try to rig something else up. Just buy the kit. It takes 2 minutes to install and of ingenious design. Here's a few pics, full-stop both ways.

Fairing

She's finally on and buttoned up! This fairing was definitely the larget pain in the a$$ of this entire project, believe it or not, but I think it turned out wonderful! I barlely was able to hide all of my old "S" wiring plus the new stuff for the HID's behind the fairing. As you could imagine, I didn't have as much room for wiring as the original "S" configuration. Here's where the ballasts ended up (one on each side)

Here's my LED dash lights :D Did these a long time ago but forgot how much brighter and crisper the dislpay looks with them.

Odds and Ends

My SS brake lines (Galfer) came in. They're black. You can't even see them in the pics. I hooked them up, but I wasn't sure whether my new GSXR/R6 hybrid braking system needed DOT3 or DOT4 fluid, so I didn't fill it. I was thinking DOT4 and I only had DOT3 on hand anyways. That's what the SV system called for.

Also installed my new sliders. They're pretty.

A Bunch of Updated Shots
Pic Heavy!

Second Favorite

Favorite

DISCUSS

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
February 15th, 2010

Enjoy this picture-whoring moment with me, won't you?

She was just sitting so pretty in the garage when I opened the door today. I had to flatter her for a second.

Updates are coming soon, I took some advice from Phantom (I think) and Swiest and purchased some 1" raising dogbones for the rear. Very inexpensive. $20 on Flea-Bay, IIRC.

I also purchaed two 1-watt 12v water-proof LED's for my new DIY rear-turn signal project. Should be pretty easy to rig up. They have a 40 degree range and I read somewhere that Rizomas use 1-watt LED's in their products. Should be plenty bright and quite small. I'm thinking of drilling two holes in my license plate and epoxying the LED's into place. We'll see.

Lastly, I'm taking Lost1888's (and other's) path and cutting out the slots in my front sprocket cover as well. I don't think I'm going to paint it, however. It's already black.

I've also decided to cover my frame in bed-liner. Yes, you read right. Very labor-intensive, but I think that the aesthetic reward of my days of work will show. The bed-liner paint is finicky, however. I will have to wait until it hits a temp b/w 68 and 90 degrees. Here in Cleveland, that means May at the earliest :(

Next update will have more pics and more progress, I promise.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OMG, AN UPDATE!!

So let me say this, I'm sorry. I've let you down. It's been too long. I've been working a lot more sporatically on the bike. It's dumb things like zip-tying things and cleaning them up. The bike is still incredibly dirty, as a whole. On to good news, I DID MY FIRST TEST RIDE TODAY!

Impressions:

Front End
* No more brake-dive. Especially wonderful for me, b/c I'm tipping 200 on the scale and I'm 6'4"
* More solid turn-in. Goes without saying. I just feel more confident. I took turns 7-8 mph faster just by feel alone.
* Brakes. Just better, period.

Dual-Renegade Exhaust
* I thought, no, I knew my Holeshot exhaust sounded good. It doesn't hold a candle to this system. So much deeper and throatier than before. I also put on tank risers a little earlier, so the intake sound was also nice. i though my Holeshot was a 8 or 9 out of 10. On that scale, this system is at least a 12.

Rear Wheel
* Loss of flickability was definitely noticable, however, I felt much more confident through corners (just street driving, mind you). The entire bike turned a little slower. I think that the rear wheel slowed the bike in the turns, but my combination of raising the rear 1" and dropping the front a few MM's balanced it out nicely

Sprocket Gearing
* I went from a 16 front to a 15 and from a 47 rear to a 45. My bike is mainly for commuting and riding the twisties so the lower gearing works for me. It was way toooo "buzzy" before and 1st gear was gone before it even began with the old gearing. Even with the fatter, heavier rear wheel, I still like this gearing much better

HID's
* I did my test ride (about 30 minutes) around 5 p.m. This time in the year, that's about 2 hours before sunset, so the sun was low enough to turn them on. I didn't have anyone flashing their brights at me. Unfortunately, it was never dark enough to see what kind of light output they offer. With dual-projectors, I'm not really worried, but I guess I'll test them another day.

Updates

I grabbed my beer stein

and did the following:

DIY Rear Turn Signals

As many of you pointed out, my new dual exhaust made the signals from the PO pretty much obsolete, so I had to fab something new. This is what I came up with.

They are 1 watt water-proof LED's. I can't remember which store I got them at, but they're not hard to find. They're already made for a 12v system, so I didn't have to do anything as far as resistors go. As you can see, even in daylight, they are bright as the sunshine :D

Here are the fronts. They're bright, but I was a little disappointed. They aren't as bright as the rears. I like my fast-flash, BTW. I think it sticks out a little more, so I have no desire to throw resistors in.

Speedo Sensor

This thing is giving me trouble. It was the only problem I had with my test ride. When cruising around 40, my speedo was showing about 130. It was also counting miles that way as well. Turned my 15 mile ride into a 40 mile ride. I pulled the wiring diagram off of here somewhere. Apparently it was wrong, or the sensor is picking up the magnets funny. Who knows. Sigh. I'll have to work that out.

Here it is.

1" Rise for the Rear

Save your jokes, kids. This is serious business. Not only did it improve the overall looks of the bike A TON (thanks again Phantom and Swiest), it made up a little for the bigger, lazier rear wheel. Like I said earlier, the SV isn't as flickable as before, but I still feel that it's more balanced than before. So much smoother.

Had some fun with one of the dogbone bolts. I had two breaker bars, a brother, an impact, a propane torch and 3 days of PB Blaster and still had no luck breaking this sucker. As you can see from the pictures, I finally just replaced the bolt. I've ordered one, but I wanted to ride too much to let the bike just sit there while I wait on slow-a$$ USPS. An 8.8 bolt is in there instead. Strong enough and torqued correctly. :D

They're so much prettier when they're nice and new.

Overall Picture-Whoring

The tail-rise really did wonders for the look. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been so busy riding that there hasn't been much to update, but, here's what I got.

I re-painted the front fairing completely. Originally, there were black plastic pieces around the "eyes" of the fairing. Well, those got trashed and cracked, so I took some spray-on bedliner and re-did them. I also re-sprayed the white as well because it was cold when I did it the first time and it didn't stick as well as one would have liked...

Before:
(Notice the little bit of blue where the plastic broke around the eyes as well as a healthy gap b/w the projectors and the fairing)

After:

No one probably ever notices, but, I do... Enjoy your summer!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been a while! Been riding, not much modding. I've made a few changes I thought I'd highlight.

First, I wanted to alter the front headlight to be attached to the forks instead of the stem. I didn't have full turning radius and it was starting to bug me simply b/c my forks, stem, and Buell front-end were in no way engineered to work together.

I decided to fab up some brackets to attach the headlight assembly to the forks. Got the brackets at a local Ace Hardware. Needed to widen the holes on them a bit so that my threaded bar could fit through.

Here's the idea. Upper and lower T-Bolt clips on both forks will attach to upper and lower brackets. Upper and lower threaded rods will run through the stem holes in the Buell fairing and then be attached at the forks. Whalaaahh!!

Works in theory, but after cruising for a while I've seen no one who's really attempted this so I'm sort of just giving it a shot.

So it's not pretty and it's not clean but it is functional and I have full turning radius again!

The fairing still sticks out too far in front but the problem is, if I move it closer to the SV frame the "S" stem holes (for attaching the fairing stay in S models) start to cause clearance issues. I'm hesitant to just buzz these off simply because if I ever sold the bike, it fully "convertible" back to an S at this point.

So, after such a long time I'll leave you with some shots of her in the fading sunlight. :)

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BIG changes. It was time. I've joined the other XB fold by switching up to the Lightning setup. Yea, I know it's been done a billion times, but I was ready for a change and I think that this dual setup looks best on the 1st Gen. Also, that Firebolt fairing was A LOT of work! My home-fabbed brackets always needed adjusting and tightening. It was becoming a chore to keep that thing on and straight. Now, I have half the weight up front (which I actually DO notice).

On to the pics!

I still have LSL bars in my garage, but I kind of like the clip-on look with this new fairing. Lemme know what you think here.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whelp, hell it's been like 2 years since I've touched this thread. I've just been riding. Tweaking things here and there. I figured it was time for some updated pics of my baby. I still have her. I still love her. She looks better now.

I've plasti-dipped her white. The old rattle-canned job was showing its age. Here are some photos I took in a local parking garage. I got kicked out before I could do any of the LED light-painting stuff I wanted to try, but oh well. I'll do it another night and post another update :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts