Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have been checking this site out for some time now. there is a ton of usefull information here. however, i just registered to the site. my question is about the mufflerectomy. it doesnt seem to work on the 05 SV650. i read all about it, but after i drilled and cut the ring around the end of the silencer, it was still very much attached to the muffler. i looked arounbd my hles and noticed that there seems to bwe a silencing ring, about the size of the whole canister in there. that seems to be holding the silencing "tube" that comes to the end of the muffler. has anyone attempted this on an 05? or does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just did it recently with my 03. By what you are saying, It sounds like you still need to break the welds off from inside the muffler (where the baffle is attached to the inside of the can). You'll need a piece of 1 and 1/4 or 1 and 1/2 inch pipe. Put it over the end of the baffle and smack it with a sledge hammer. You really gotta smack it like you hate it to break it loose. The baffle may move in and inch or so before you break the welds. However, if you pussyfoot around and smack it too soft, the welds will just stretch and cause much trouble when you eventually want to remove the baffle completely.

Also, Mark the top of the baffle with the top of the end of the can (use a marker or something) This will help you to line up the welds in the baffle.

Removing the baffle SUCKS. It took me 3 hours to get the thing out of there.

I really like this mod EXCEPT the backfiring I am getting sometimes...

Check out this link. Hopefully I've helped.
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=41140.0

·
Registered
326 Posts
I did it to my 05. I think colin has it right. You still need to break the welds to get that tube out.

It saddens me that so many of you have had troubles breaking the welds.

I must have gotten extremely lucky as I had my restrictor out in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The hardest part about removing the restrictor is breaking the welds loose. Use a 1.5 inch O.D. 6 inch pipe nipple and a cap on one end. slide it over the restrictor. strap the bike to the rafters or have someone hold it. Use the biggest hammer you can find. A smaller hammer will not have the mass to break the welds as easy. Hit it with hammer as hard as you can. It will break loose after about 5 or 6 whacks. Hit it like you mean it. Don't be an Alice and it will come loose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright then, i will try that. i thought if i tried banging that out that the peice the baffle is welded to will come lose. if that comes loose im sol. that peice is too big to get out of the end of the can. thanks for the help. i will try it as soon as i can. i have pinched some nerves in by neck from riding. both my hands and some of my face are numb. so i cant ride. so it would probably not be a good idea to take a large hammer to my bike, well aqt least right now. ahah thanks again!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just left that piece of pipe in the can and cut it about 3" inside of the can with a dremel and a cutoff wheel. I don't think there is a sound difference if you remove it or cut it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts