Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my 03 today and really like the sound now. I had no problem drilling or breaking the welds, but removing the restrictor was about impossible until i got a bright idea.

I made a slide hammer (with a really heavy slide) and welded it to the inside of the restrictor pipe with my mig welder. Worked like a charm, just should have done it 30 min and lots of cuss words earlier.

As hard as I had to hammer to extract the restrictor :eek:, there is no way I could have worked it out with pliers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Am going through the same thing...

I got it all out almost, but that restrictor just won't come out...

and it feels weak, it is almost out...

the 1 1/2 pipe is not wide enough for the restrictor to fit inside of the pipe so all it does is bang it towards the inside...

I am just gouing to leave it like that until it falls off on its own one day...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good idea man, I had a similar problem when my restrictor got wedged back in the baffles. All I could do was wiggle it back and forth with pliers until i wised up and used some WD-40. The neighbors probably wondered what the hell was going on when i was swearing and beating the hell out of my bike with a sledge...

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Man, you are three days late and a mig wlder short. I did not have a welder to pull out of my butt, so I did it the old fashioned way and beat the pee pee out of it on Saturday.

I am a big boy, but I had to beat to really beat the hell out of it. It took 8-10 minutes after we cut it through with a skilll saw!

I LOVE the way it sounds now!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Did you guys mark a line on the baffle and the exhaust tip to line it back up after you knocked the welds loose? The reason it's so hard to pull out is that the edge is all jagged. If you line it back up after breaking it free, it'll slide right out b/c all of the edges will line up.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I actually remembered to do that, but it did not help. We got it close to the end of the tailpipe and were able to reach in with pliers and bend it so it came out fairly easily. The worst part was the banging away. Really surprised it took that much work to knock it loose.

·
Registered
456 Posts
maroonbully said:
Did you guys mark a line on the baffle and the exhaust tip to line it back up after you knocked the welds loose? The reason it's so hard to pull out is that the edge is all jagged. If you line it back up after breaking it free, it'll slide right out b/c all of the edges will line up.
Did mine last year marking as such and worked like a charm. Then I went out and bought a Holeshot. Noise is addictive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts