Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided I would try Mr. Black's idea and remove the restrictor from the exhaust. I drilled the holes around the restrictor, successfully chissled out the peices between the holes and tried to bang it loose.
After whacking at it for a good amount of time, I realized I was pushing the restrictor further into the muffler, but not breaking it loose. The top of the restrictor is now at the bottom of the opening of the exhaust. Before I bang this thing any further, I wanted to see if this is normal.
The restrictor feels loose, but is definately not coming out. I tried like hell to pull it out with no luck.
Any suggestions?
Can the restrictor get banged back into the holes further down in the muffler? It looks like it is in the top of the three holes. Is that where it is welded to?
Thanks in advance.
Brent

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep,
I noticed only after I posted it. I'm a jackass.
:lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey man, I just noticed your thread. Looks like we're in the same boat... let me know if you can get yours out, and I'll do the same here. Right now, my plan is to pull on that thing everyday until it comes out..

Take care,

André

·
Registered
56 Posts
Alright man, I got mine out.

All I had to do was grab the restrictor with a plier, tie the plier shut with zip locks, and hit it out with a rubber mallet.

The pliers on the left are the ones I used (borrowed the image from craftsman), I just made sure I had the restrictor right, and started hitting the plier handles with a mallet. In about 5 minutes the restrictor was out of the muffler

Good luck,

André

·
Registered
293 Posts
Angus2911 said:
Second thread this evening about this. You've probably broken it loose and it's stuck in the rear baffle - check out http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=40961 for a more thorough reply.
Is this thread still available or is just my computer acting up, but I can't get to it...

I am having a hard time getting this thing out and I don't want to continue to bang the muffler...

·
Registered
55 Posts
what i did was drill the holes and chisel the remainder per the instructions. after banging on it for awhile ride the bike around long enough to get the exhaust hot, then continue the hammering. in addition the to end of the baffle getting smashed up it did go in about 2 inches before it broke off both spot welds (very cleanly i might add). if you need a frame of reference the tip of the restrictor will be about inline with the big part of the can/ innermost part of the tip, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thank you...

I got it done, is one of those things where patience preveils...

The night before it would not come out, waited until the next day, gave it two more bangs and then it came out so easy...

The sound is a bit too loud for my liking and the loudness is just pure loudness of a broken muffler, is not a tuned sound.

I did discover that for those of you who just want a little resonance but not loudness, just cut the inner tip of the muffler up to the inner edge with a dremer, no need to take the restrictor out or to do any banging, It gives a nice resonance sound but not anoying loud...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts