Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shortened up my can a bit today. I didn't want more noise, just less length.

I ground off the roll of the outer skin at the tip. There were 3 spot welds that let go with minimal effort. Then I was able to pull the whole internal "guts" out with the tip still attached. I cut off most of the first (front) chamber-- It was 8" and I cut off about 7" of it.

I slid the inside back in and used the edge of the tip as a guide for cutting off the extra outer skin. I left it a bit long and ground it flush. After a little touch up with a file and de-burring of the edges and it looked pretty good.

I drilled a small hole on the bottom and pushed a pin out of a POP-rivet to pin the cap in place. (just to make sure it didn't slip out, get pushed in further, or spin) I like the look and the sound is still pretty close to stock.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
cool. I would be interested in seeing pictures of the final product including close ups on the edge that was cut from the outter skin. Were you able to get it pretty smooth?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
You could be a rabbi with all that extra outer skin you were cutting off.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Awesome job.
Thanks for the picture. the end of it looks really clean.

I know it wasn't your goal, but did the sound change at all?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome job.
Thanks for the picture. the end of it looks really clean.

I know it wasn't your goal, but did the sound change at all?
Maybe only a slight change. Hard to say though, because I didn't have any time on it this season before chopping it.

I'd like to remove the file marks on the end and try to get out some of the scratches, but it all takes time. A bit tougher when it's parked a half mile away. (wife has still never seen it ;D)

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
Maybe only a slight change. Hard to say though, because I didn't have any time on it this season before chopping it.

I'd like to remove the file marks on the end and try to get out some of the scratches, but it all takes time. A bit tougher when it's parked a half mile away. (wife has still never seen it ;D)
Wow - does she know you ride?

Looks pretty good btw - giving me inspiration.

·
Registered
709 Posts

Wow, its like keeping a mistress 1/2 a mile away from where you live with your wife... ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts