Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I'm registered for the IL MSF course which takes place in a few weeks, and wanted to make sure I had everything covered as far as apparel goes. Should be getting an SV sometime between now and the next month or so.

Quoted from their site, for required apparel:

Helmet: minimum 3/4 coverage, DOT approved. A helmet will be provided if you do not have one.
Boots: tall enough to cover your ankles, with normal (1"-2") heels. High-top leather gym shoes are acceptable.
Long pants: heavy material with straight legs.
Gloves: must be full fingered. Leather is preferred; open backs are discouraged.
Long-sleeved protective clothing: shirt or jacket.
Eye protection: face shield, glasses, or goggles.

I've already got a full faced DOT/Snell helmet that I use for autocross, so I've got the helmet and eye protection covered. I also have several pairs of shoes/boots that I can wear, as well as jeans that should be covered under "heavy material".

I do plan on picking up a pair of Alpinestar SP-2 gloves, since I'm going to need gear anyways soon, and I'm deadset on these gloves after trying several different brands/sizes/styles on.

My main concern is with the long sleeved protective clothing. I've tried on several jackets and can't really decide on which to get. I'm leaning towards the JR Nova, A* Airflo, and other jackets similar to them, something preferably mesh and with textile around the contact/heavy wear area's.

I was wondering how strict they are for the apparel. Would I be fine with a regular windbreaker (not the super thin ones, windbreaker outside with cloth inner liner), or light jacket, or does it need to something specific? I'd assume they wouldnt be too picky considering theres probably quite a few people that have no intentions of spending $300+ on gear if they're not picking up a bike anytime soon.

I do plan on getting a bike soon, as well as gear (jacket & gloves). Havent fully decided which jacket to get, which is my biggest issue. Being able to wear my own jacket would allow me more time to fully thoroughly figure out which jacket will suit me, and fit me best (if you have any recommendations for summer jackets under $200, that'd be great).

If you've taken the MSF, how strict were they with the apparel? Could you wear any type of decently protective jacket/shirt, were they looking for something more specific?

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
The shirt just needs to be a long sleeve T at least. If it's warm don't bother with a jacket unless you have a mesh.

Make sure you have sunglasses if you have a full face. You will get failed for lifting your visor while on the bike without protective eyewear.

Boots. Basic hiking or working boots will do.

Most people wear jeans.

Bring rain gear if it looks like rain.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey

I'm registered for the IL MSF course which takes place in a few weeks, and wanted to make sure I had everything covered as far as apparel goes. Should be getting an SV sometime between now and the next month or so.

Quoted from their site, for required apparel:

Helmet: minimum 3/4 coverage, DOT approved. A helmet will be provided if you do not have one.
Boots: tall enough to cover your ankles, with normal (1"-2") heels. High-top leather gym shoes are acceptable.
Long pants: heavy material with straight legs.
Gloves: must be full fingered. Leather is preferred; open backs are discouraged.
Long-sleeved protective clothing: shirt or jacket.
Eye protection: face shield, glasses, or goggles.

I've already got a full faced DOT/Snell helmet that I use for autocross, so I've got the helmet and eye protection covered. I also have several pairs of shoes/boots that I can wear, as well as jeans that should be covered under "heavy material".

I do plan on picking up a pair of Alpinestar SP-2 gloves, since I'm going to need gear anyways soon, and I'm deadset on these gloves after trying several different brands/sizes/styles on.

My main concern is with the long sleeved protective clothing. I've tried on several jackets and can't really decide on which to get. I'm leaning towards the JR Nova, A* Airflo, and other jackets similar to them, something preferably mesh and with textile around the contact/heavy wear area's.

I was wondering how strict they are for the apparel. Would I be fine with a regular windbreaker (not the super thin ones, windbreaker outside with cloth inner liner), or light jacket, or does it need to something specific? I'd assume they wouldnt be too picky considering theres probably quite a few people that have no intentions of spending $300+ on gear if they're not picking up a bike anytime soon.

I do plan on getting a bike soon, as well as gear (jacket & gloves). Havent fully decided which jacket to get, which is my biggest issue. Being able to wear my own jacket would allow me more time to fully thoroughly figure out which jacket will suit me, and fit me best (if you have any recommendations for summer jackets under $200, that'd be great).

If you've taken the MSF, how strict were they with the apparel? Could you wear any type of decently protective jacket/shirt, were they looking for something more specific?
Im not sure about Illinois, but here, you need a helmet, long sleeve shirt, jeans/slacks and a closed toe shoe.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
One of the people in my class just wore a long sleeve shirt. When my daughter took hers, she wore a wind breaker, because it was 95+ degrees. I'd say from those 2 experiences, anything long sleeved will work.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Don't buy anything for the class that you won't use afterwards including gloves. You can use gardening gloves, mechanic gloves or come cheap cloth one's from Walmart. You won't be going fast enough in MSF to really worry about damage from a fall. You can go faster riding down a decent hill on a pedel bike then you'll go in MSF.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you have sunglasses if you have a full face. You will get failed for lifting your visor while on the bike without protective eyewear.
Thanks for all the quick replies. I wear prescription glasses, so I believe that would help incase I accidently lift the visor. I'll remember to keep it down while riding.

The last thing I want to do is buy a jacket on an impulse buy for the course that I may not feel comfortable wearing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any summer jackets for skinny/tall people? I'm roughly 5'10", 140lbs. After wearing the JR Nova in small (otherwise the elbow paddings werent in place), the length was a little shorter than other brands. The A* airflo was a little better in medium, but had a few less features (not as adjustable, etc). Looking something similar to both of those, that I want to buy locally to ensure the fit. If nothing else fits as good, A* seems to be the best quality/fitting for the price range.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't buy anything for the class that you won't use afterwards including gloves. You can use gardening gloves, mechanic gloves or come cheap cloth one's from Walmart. You won't be going fast enough in MSF to really worry about damage from a fall. You can go faster riding down a decent hill on a pedel bike then you'll go in MSF.
Definately set on the SP-2's. The finger lengths/palms/knuckles fit good, leather is nice and thick, and for the price ($100 everywhere) compared to other full gauntlet gloves, its not bad. Only thing I dont like is the hard knuckles, but they fit pretty well.

Unless you've got a similar/better recommendation?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Heh heh, actually in my MSF there was a guy who was going about 15MPH while doing the ovals. He for some reason grabbed a handful of front brake while cornering, target fixated on the shipping container the bikes were stored in at the range, and he low-sided into the container. He was wearing jeans and a jeans jacket. They were completely shredded on one side and he had a ton of road rash. His right work glove came off too (the tan ones from hardware stores) and a couple of his knuckles were chewed up.

Heck, when I crashed my bike, it was at 3-5MPH and I had on jeans. My left knee still is scarred from over a year ago and I still have those jeans with a hole in them (wearing them right now to go work on the bike, haha).

:)

Oh, one of my instructors said that when you buy a helmet, get a full face, even though the helmets they let you borrow were the 3/4 helmets. He said he had a girl crash at 5MPH during a MSF class he taught and fall on her jaw, breaking it, while wearing the 3/4 helmet.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Heck, when I crashed my bike, it was at 3-5MPH and I had on jeans. My left knee still is scarred from over a year ago and I still have those jeans with a hole in them (wearing them right now to go work on the bike, haha).

:)
Pics of your hole!!! ;D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pics of your hole!!! ;D
That just sounds dirty...

As far as gear, they aren't too strict. But as someone else said, don't buy anything you don't plan on using in the future. If you don't find a jacket you like, go spend 8 bucks at blah mart for a long sleeve t. As long as you follow the guide lines for apparel, they shouldn't give you any crap. It's not like you will be doing highway speeds out there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
As for how strict they are, it might be different for MSF (I took the Team Oregon class), but they do make sure you meet all the requirements. Afterall, this is where you learn to ride, including proper safety...it wouldn't be in their best interest to let you fudge the safety requirements.

When I went on my second attempt (failed to look far enough into the corner and failed the test, so retook it the following weekend) I wore regular shoes that didn't cover my ankles. They found some cardboard, wrapped it around my ankles and duct taped it together making sure it was as ugly and obvious as possible to "serve as a warning" :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If it's MSF, they are all VERY strict on the apparel guidelines so have exactly what they require. They will not let anything slide but as said by many others, don't rush out to buy the stuff. Jeans, long sleeve t-shirt, work boots, hiking boots, just cover your ankle, Helmet and Eye protection, and the Mechanics gloves are a great idea 'cuz you'll use them turning wrenches after you decide on which one's you want to buy, later. Have that, you'll meet the minimum. If it's cold, add to the minimum for your comfort level. Don't show up without any of it or you'll be done and sent home. Our local MSF course did have full helmets for those that didn't own and you had to wear this little hair doily deal before you put it on. Using community property helmets is pretty rank so I'd definitely have my own.

Also, DON'T BE LATE to any class or ride day. No sh!t!!....they will send you home and KEEP YOUR MONEY. Leave home extra early so you are waiting for them to begin. I've seen many sent home for walking in ONE MINUTE after class has begun. You're not at Public School anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Check your PM.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You are only going to be going 10-20 mph. Wear a sturdy long-sleeve shirt (like denim) or a golf jacket or windbreaker over a regular shirt.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Show up early so you can pick the bike you want. One day two of my MSF, 4 of the women showed up really early and they let us out on the range for practice for about 20min.

Snacks/Water aren't bad to have either, take a small cooler.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Pics of your hole!!! ;D

Now you've seen my hole, I'm so embarrassed. ;)

These are actually fairly thick jeans, too. I cleaned up the hole, it was more shredded.

Also, DON'T BE LATE to any class or ride day. No sh!t!!....they will send you home and KEEP YOUR MONEY. Leave home extra early so you are waiting for them to begin. I've seen many sent home for walking in ONE MINUTE after class has begun. You're not at Public School anymore.
Yeah, they are always strict on this. Mostly because they end up having some people on the waitlist. They will make you reschedule or show up on the waitlist if you are late.

Bring water, snacks, sunscreen as others have said.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
My MSF in Illinois was very strict. Would not let me ride on the course even with visor ½ up and it was in the mid 90s.

+1 on the water

·
Registered
594 Posts
Although I have all my gear already, this has been useful to me as well. Being I'll be taking the MSF class the weekend of April 10-12.

I'm gonna find some cheap shades to wear under the helmet so I can lift my visor without being failed. I'm not gonna try to cram one of my pairs of Oakleys under the helmet and risk damaging or breaking them. Cost me too much to do that!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts