Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've been riding for about a year now and took the basic class last summer. While I've become much more confident as a rider since then, I still feel that I could use some continuing education (especially for cornering). Which would be the better class, intermediate or experienced?

Thanks!
-ADH

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Hmmm, I thought there was only beginner and experienced classes...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Experienced Rider is the way to go. I just took the ERC on Saturday and honestly, it is the BRC without all the classroom and you're riding your own bike.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I have heard to ride for about three years before taking the ERC, anyone have an oppinion? I have a bit over 2 years under my belt, and have noticed the amount of improvement over my first year, so I am thinking perhaps waiting another would not be a bad thing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Experienced Rider is the way to go. I just took the ERC on Saturday and honestly, it is the BRC without all the classroom and you're riding your own bike.
Exactly. With a year of riding under your belt, you've advanced past the intermediate course level. Take the ERC, then hit the track a couple of times to work on cornering. After that... if you want further instruction, any one of the advanced rider courses offered would be excellent.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have heard to ride for about three years before taking the ERC, anyone have an oppinion? I have a bit over 2 years under my belt, and have noticed the amount of improvement over my first year, so I am thinking perhaps waiting another would not be a bad thing.
Usually the minimum experience recommended before taking the ERC is 6 months of seat time or 6000 miles. Basically, you want to be familiar-enough and comfortable-enough with your own bike that you're prepared to push it a little. You don't want to take the ERC if you're still 'getting to know' your bike, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the replies! It sounds like the ERC may be the best way to go. After giving their "intermediate" class a second look I think it might not be a good fit. They describe it as being for riders with a learner's permit and only a month or two of experience. I'm no AMA rider, but I think that maybe my dollars might be better put towards the ERC if that is the case.

Thanks!
-ADH

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I had pretty limited seat time before taking the ERC. I knew the basic course would be way too slow for me. It was very helpful but not too hard to pass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts