Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow SVrs,

I'm glad to be reporting to you live. Literally! I was enjoying the Pennsylvania countryside a few days ago and as I was heading out of a turn a teenage girl on a cellphone was driving in my lane. She wasn't passing anyone, just driving in the wrong lane on a two way road. She didn't even see me, so I had to utilize my training from the MSF course I completed this summer. I hit the brakes as hard as I could without sliding, then gently rolled into a shallow ditch on my side of the road. I figured that was better than swerving into the other lane and possibly being splattered by another oncoming car. The girl didn't change lanes until after she had passed me, and then she promptly sped away. I thought about chasing her, but thought better of it and just continued my ride.

After the MSF course I practiced sudden stops and swerving in a parking lot until I felt comfortable on my new SV. I'm a new rider and this is my first bike. I'm so glad I took the course and learned some valuable lessons. No matter how safely you ride you simply can't predict what some idiot in a car will do. I was also wearing full gear and had Nate's Motosliders installed. Luckily they weren't needed this time. Remember, the next obstacle you encounter won't be a little orange cone.

Even though it's very hot right now, protect yourself and be alert!

·
Registered
397 Posts
You did a great job, Alastor.
I'm very glad you were safe.

:thread jack on:

dmroeder!
Dude, that's Sam Kyump Sal picture!!!
Where did you get that avatar????

:thread jack off:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yeah, I am so glad i got ticketed for no license and had to take my MSF course. I can't count how many times what i learned in there has saved my life.

Now, that i think about it, atleast a couple dozen times.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I took the MSF class close to 12 years ago, and then stopped riding. I am now getting back into it and the first thing I did was go down and sign up for that class again. In my personal opinion taking that class not only improved my riding safety level. It improved my my safety level in driving a car. 8) It would be awsome if every driver had to take that class. I know it wouldn't stop all the idiots from doing dumb stuff, but I know will put some common sense into some drivers. It is amazing how little other drivers know about the common things about a motorcycle such as faster stopping time. Whenever I am behind a motorcycle I ALWAYS give them at least 5 to 6 second gap between them and me. It is just the little things like that can lead to an accident if they have to slam on their brakes suddenly to avoid something. Just my two cents though

·
Registered
397 Posts
man I woulda chased her ass down and beat her senseless :mad: I HATE STUPID DRIVERS!!! They should really make it harder for ppl to get their driver's licenses, cuz its way too easy these days...maybe raise the minimum driving age to like 21 or sumthing...cuz stupid ppl just can't drive and need to stay off the damn road...I had a similar experience in the past at an intersection...the light turned green on me and i pulled like half way into the intersection with a car right next to me, and this fukker speed through a red light missing my bike about 1ft!!! He even made eye contact with me and guess what he was doing??? OH HIS DAMN CELL PHONE!!! newayz glad your safe, ride on ;D

·
Registered
238 Posts
shekshishekki said:
...newayz glad your safe, ride on  ;D
For those who don't speak jive, The gentleman was making a segway. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
VaroM said:
I totally agree!  I'm going to try out the second level MSF course in a couple months.   ;D
+1

I took my MSF course at least 6 years ago. I didn't have a bike to ride the last 5 years and wanted to take the second level this summer. It will probably be next spring before I can because I need every extra dime I can scrounge up to buy a house but really want to take it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's really cool to read all the positive press about the MSF. THANK YOUR INSTRUCTORS! Even when you're out on a Sunday morning ride, stop by the range sometime, say Hi and Thanks during one of the breaks. We really do appreciate it. The students enjoy it too. I've been teaching for about 2 years now and it's lots of work, and lots of fun, but these hearing these stories are really what makes it worth the effort.

Glad SOMEBODY was listening in class!!!
Sandy

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
lkm said:
yeah, I am so glad i got ticketed for no license and had to take my MSF course. I can't count how many times what i learned in there has saved my life.

Now, that i think about it, atleast a couple dozen times.
Generally this isn't a reason you should take the MSF course....but whatever.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Glad to see at least one other msf instructor rides Sv's

This is my Sixth season of instructing over 60 sessions. I love teaching the course but im going to be slowing down a bit next season. I cant teach them all.

So if you enjoyed the course consider teaching it in a year or so. The pay is decent but doesnt match the fullfilment you get from making a positive influence on people, Also your skill level, and observational awareness will increase with every class

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
quintin said:
Glad to see at least one other msf instructor rides Sv's

This is my Sixth season of instructing over 60 sessions. I love teaching the course but im going to be slowing down a bit next season. I cant teach them all.

So if you enjoyed the course consider teaching it in a year or so. The pay is decent but doesnt match the fullfilment you get from making a positive influence on people, Also your skill level, and observational awareness will increase with every class
Come on, dude...you know what we want....some awesome(funny) class stories!!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
i swear a couple times i could have had material for americas funnies home videos...

most recent mind boggling student move was just this past weekend. during the practice test and evalution.

the student was late 40's heavy set(approaching 250 lbs best guess 6ft tall) african american lady on a suzuki GZ 250.. Over all she had decent quick braking technique. Except during one run some how she got nervous and stuck her feet straight foward off the pegs as the bike was stopping. her wait goes forward and she stands straight up on her feet traddling the bike but not over the handle bars just pushing them forward.

The back wheel literally came off the ground nearly 2 feet. and fell straight back down when she sat back down. I was just speachless, i couldnt believe it. She didnt even realize. Didnt drop the bike or anything it almost looked intentional. figured it was a one time fluke thing

but then during evaluation she got flustered again and did it again flawlessly. couldnt believe it, and was well short of her stopping standard.

Now the range is surounded by a chain link fence that everyone is just aiming for it seems. and i am becoming more and more impressed with the recoil the damn this has for just bouncing them right back out like a trampoline.

teaching in Philadelphia brings all kinds of interesting characters on a daily basis that just want to learn to ride

·
Registered
9 Posts
As an instructor (who also rides\races an SV) it is always great to hear stories like this. In Ohio, the cost is $25 and is probably the best $25 you can ever spend as a motorcyclist. If we give you just one tool that prevents you from dropping your bike, even if in the driveway, you've paid for the course. All you have is the time investment which pretty minimal and fun as well.

Keep riding. Take a course. Take an advanced street riding skills course. Take a track school. All should improve your skills. Like the MSF slogan goes, "The more you know, the better it gets!"

Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
$25 is a steal. In tx i paid 180. but then nearly everyone and their mom has a bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah, I paid $200.00 from a private organization in Kansas City but like MG-242 said, it's cheaper than dropping the bike :-\

1 - 20 of 22 Posts