Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed my MSF course today  ;D ;D ;D

It was loads of fun and I learned alot, especially how much more I have to learn.

The first day, I took the advice of many here and selected the smallest bike they had, a Suzuki 125
I had a blast with that thing!  It was really funny because the "macho" biker types grabbed the 250's and were constantly struggling with stalling, lurching and other control issues.

Since I did not have to worry about too much power, all I did was have a big grin on my face and just zoomed right along the various tests they had.  The instructors told me that I was having way too much fun and to knock it down a bit as that bike was just like riding a tricycle! 

For those that never took the MSF ... go for it! 
For those that took the MSF, even though I did great on all the exercises, I choked on the final tests.  I still passed them but I can't believe I put my foot down once and messed up my braking tests by not completely rolling the throttle down while braking.  (Test Anxiety, afraid of screwing up and I did ..)

I am going for the intermediate in two weeks.  I know I will do better as there is no license endorsement test anxiety to worry about here.  I will focus more on technique rather than results.

New Hampshire is REALLY sucky as they only give you ONE permit for your lifetime.  You have 30 days to pass the license exam.  Once those thirty days are up, you are basically screwed.  You then only have two options to get your license.

1.  Take the MSF.  (there were several in my class that fit this catagory)
2.  Truck or trailer your motorcycle to the DMV parking lot for the test or have a friend drive your bike to the location.  Do not drive it there as you will automatically fail the exam.   :mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey, congrats on passing!

i had a blast at my msf class too...not to mention i had a hottie of a msf instructer ;D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yep +1 on msf. it saves you shitloads more money that it costs if you pay attention and learn!

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Congratu;ations. Ride well and be happy.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Actually unless they changed it recently in NH, you can keep on getting permits forever and never have to get a license, but you still have to pony up the 30 bucks EVERY time you get a new permit, But they do knock off the $30 off your new license when you go to get it.....so nice of them ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MeLLow_YeLLoW said:
Actually unless they changed it recently in NH, you can keep on getting permits forever and never have to get a license, but you still have to pony up the 30 bucks EVERY time you get a new permit, But they do knock off the $30 off your new license when you go to get it.....so nice of them ;)
Nope, I beg to differ and several in my class told me about this. ONE permit per lifetime!
That is why I tried so hard to pass the first time as my permit expires next week.

Now Massachusetts, there many people go for the permit every year.
Same with Maine, you can reapply as many times as you can.

New Hampshire, they want you licensed, thirty days and that is it.
The thirty bucks is for the license endorsement fee.

My info is from the DMV officer and MSF classmates. It has been like this for at least 3 years that I know of.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
well about a year and a half ago my brother and I signed up to take the MSF and had to wait a couple of months so we go up to the DMV and got a permit for month 1 and when that ran out, got one for month 2. I dont know if its a fluke or what but the lady at the counter said "you can keep on getting permits like this until you get your license" . I guess they really like money? ::)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Congrats!!

Now practice and you'll be just fine, especially the slow speed figure-8 stuff as well as the emergency maneuvers.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
okay, is there a reason to continue to get permits instead of the license?

·
Registered
537 Posts
for what you pay, you get to learn how to ride on someone else's bike (and not pay for damages if you drop it), you get to use a lid and gloves you'd otherwise have to pay for, learn very valuable safety skills to keep from getting creamed on the road, and if you passed, you wouldn't even need to do the riding portion of the DMV test to get your M1/motorycle license.

sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
lkm said:
okay, is there a reason to continue to get permits instead of the license?
no there is no reason to continue to get permits, you will be shelling out more cash than you need to, in order for me to ride my bike before i took the MSF course i had to get permits, the class around here was booked 2 months in advance,so I had to get permits while i was waiting for my class.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will find out tomorrow morning, I am getting my license endorsement.

Maybe it is because you signed up for the MSF and they knew that you were waiting?????

There was a couple of guys in my class that insisted when the 30 days are up, that is it.

Will post tomorrow, I want to get to the bottom of this. It just don't make sense to have a one time deal and you are permanently out unless you take the MSF or have a friend drive your bike in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts