Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, all my gear will be here tomorrow, so i could actually add something to the look what came in the mail thread lol. But what has me going is I decided to take the advanced course here close to me.

I think im more nervous taking this course than i was doing the msf course to get my license. What can i expect here compared to the normal msf course? I decided to take it because i still have a bit before i get my own bike, so i have a good friend lending me his 250 that just sits. I wanted to get a bit more practice and lessons in before i get my bike.

The thought of finally being completely street legal has me jumping around after all these years. I think nothing of hopping on one of the dirtbikes in the shed and just tearing off, like its 2nd nature, but this has giving me the jitters in a good way lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
Call and get a refund ASAP. You need a lot of seat time before signing up for that class. And especially if you dont even have your own bike yet. The advanced course isnt a "practice" class, if you need practice go to a parkinglot on your own time with your buddy's bike.

If you take it, expect the entire class to meet you after class to kick your a$$ for holding them up... but in all honestly, the instructors will probably kick you out within an hour of being there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well then ill just go to jennings lol..... thanks for the info.. I live only 10 minutes from jennings gp and know a few people that work out there

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
You probably should get some street time before you hit a race track too...

It's one thing to know how to ride great and fast on a track, it's another to know how to read traffic, identify road obstacles, manage less than optimal pavement, and ride in stop and go traffic. You'll learn a lot on a track, but you won't learn how to ride on the street there.

And get a refund for the ARC. You should only take the ERC and ARC after you have your own bike and know how to use it.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Dirt is not really the same thing, though will definitely help your traction management.
I would have to agree. lots of dirt experience will put you on public roads just fine, but going from a dirt track to a street bike track day will be a world of difference. Especially if it's not even your own bike.

I rode dirt for 10 years on tracks, trails, and everywhere in between. While you can pick up most street bikes and ride away just fine, riding on a street track with people that go fast won't be a super easy transition. Chances are you will feel way to pressured to go quickly and then get in over your head.

Ride more, then get on the track or advanced classes. That would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Dunno where you're located, but RA does some SM classes for very reasonable prices.

If I have the cash, and I'm living in the area I'll try to hit it up. But chances are I'll end up spending the bike budget on trackdays and riding schools

http://www.roadamerica.com/School/Supermoto.asp

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
. But chances are I'll end up spending the bike budget on trackdays and riding schools
I've been doing njminigp and don't even want to go on the big track anymore :) it's sooo much less money and stress that it seems like a waste for me to go back to big tracks.

tires = set a season and those can be scrubs from racers.
brakes = still on the same set from 2 seasons ago
crashes = no damage 99% of the time. I had one crash out of ~20 that required some repairs this year.
fees = $80/day

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
So you're going to try to take your friend's bike to a first track day?

That's a terrible idea...
i'll ride my friends' bikes, but that's knowing a) i know what i'm doing at least as well as they do and b) i will fix/buy their bike or give them mine in exchange should I hit the dirt.

for a first day, that's a ridiculously silly idea.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol, one thing is never come up with a conclusion before you know someone. This friend and i are more like brothers. Known each other since we have been 3, lived about a mile from each other. We both know that if something was to happen with the others property while in the others hands, its gonna be taken care of. Its already happened numerous times with dirtbikes/quads.

He has always had streetbikes since highschool (has 3 right now). the cbr600 and thruxton are his 2 babies, which i've never tried to even ride. His first bike was the 250 that im talking about now. Its been dropped numerous times by him through the years and only repaired mechanically, not cosmetically because its his hooligan bike.

While i've always had the dirtbikes/quads.. But no, im not taking it to jennings gp now anyways lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts