Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this company online. Most reasonable price and shipping from overseas to the US wasn't bad.

Wanted to share because I know how hard they can be to find.

Light Wood Gas Font Plumbing

·
Registered
647 Posts
Good find and a good price.

I've posted on this subject previously: based on experience with my own 2017 Gen 3 SV650, changing the plugs at 7,500 miles is bullshit. The owner's manual that came with my bike has two separate service schedules printed in it: one for 'Europe & Oceania', one for 'rest of the World' (i.e. the USA etc).

In the 'Europe' schedule, the plug change interval is 15,000 miles, with a gap check at 7,500 miles. The 'rest of World' service schedule says plug change every 7,500 miles. It's exactly the same engine, exactly the same spark plugs. You do the math.

I changed the factory original plugs on my bike at 15,000 miles. The plug gaps were all still within the 0.8 - 0.9mm spec. There was a little wear on the electrodes (mostly the centre electrode which had lost its sharp edge) but nothing serious, no significant erosion of the electrodes, the plugs were still perfectly usable with no carbon build-up at all. There was no difference to performance when the new plugs were fitted. Those plugs can easily run to 20,000 miles.

TL; DR - Gen 3 owners can save some cash because the bikes really don't need new spark plugs every 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
539 Posts
In the 'Europe' schedule, the plug change interval is 15,000 miles, with a gap check at 7,500 miles. The 'rest of World' service schedule says plug change every 7,500 miles. It's exactly the same engine, exactly the same spark plugs. You do the math.
Craig, I might have asked this before, but don't remember.
Could this (the different advised interval for replacing spark plugs between Europe and the rest of the world) be due to the fact that, while in Europe the only gasoline you can buy is unleaded one (i.e. RON 98), in the rest of the world (e.g. in the US) you can still buy leaded 87 RON gasoline?
Might this affect the plugs performance, up to the point of advising a more frequent change?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good find and a good price.

I've posted on this subject previously: based on experience with my own 2017 Gen 3 SV650, changing the plugs at 7,500 miles is bullshit. The owner's manual that came with my bike has two separate service schedules printed in it: one for 'Europe & Oceania', one for 'rest of the World' (i.e. the USA etc).

I changed the factory original plugs on my bike at 15,000 miles. The plug gaps were all still within the 0.8 - 0.9mm spec. There was a little wear on the electrodes (mostly the centre electrode which had lost its sharp edge) but nothing serious, no significant erosion of the electrodes, the plugs were still perfectly usable with no carbon build-up at all. There was no difference to performance when the new plugs were fitted. Those plugs can easily run to 20,000 miles.

TL; DR - Gen 3 owners can save some cash because the bikes really don't need new spark plugs every 7,500 miles.
Totally agree with you Craig380, change spark plugs at 7500 miles, throw money in the trash, I tell an experience, this is too much but it served as an example, a friend had a yamaha mt 03 that did not give him maintenance at all, one day we were going to do a trip of a few km and I demanded a change of spark plug that I did myself, so as not to have problems on the road, it turns out that the motorcycle had 43,000 miles and still had the original spark plugs, there are many km without changing the spark plug It is true, but the motorcycle was still like the first day, it did not consume more or anything like that, I did not take the time to measure the gap of the spark plugs, they were surely out of the measurements, but it is to have a reference of that does not make such an early change of spark plugs, I think that it could be done just after 25,000 miles

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Wanted to share because I know how hard they can be to find.
I didn't know that plugs are hard to find these days. Are most of them sitting off the California coast? LOL

I think people often change their sparkplugs because it's the easiest thing to change out when you are trouble-shooting a problem. I know when I was trying to get to the bottom of my rough running, I changed out the plugs three times.

Reactions: Craig380

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,033 Posts
Totally agree with you Craig380... it turns out that the motorcycle had 43,000 miles and still had the original spark plugs...
My '07 is that mileage and is running original plugs. Years ago I thought about replacing them and realized they were somewhat difficult to find so I never touched them. The bike runs like a brand new bike, so why touch it?

Geo, I wanna get a jet ski so I can go part shopping at the Port of Long Beach. Auto Zone, Advance, Revzilla could clean up if they had guys on the ships chucking parts to us backyard mechanics! Opportunity knocks...

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Geo, I wanna get a jet ski so I can go part shopping at the Port of Long Beach. Auto Zone, Advance, Revzilla could clean up if they had guys on the ships chucking parts to us backyard mechanics! Opportunity knocks...
Love it Drew! I think the bad guys are already doing it in LA's train yards.

BTW, I've never had any problems finding the plugs at my local Autozone. But, I've not tried recently, so the supply chain mess may steer things otherwise.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Love it Drew! I think the bad guys are already doing it in LA's train yards.

BTW, I've never had any problems finding the plugs at my local Autozone. But, I've not tried recently, so the supply chain mess may steer things otherwise.
$17.00 ea at Autozone, 4 = $68.00 + tax, 8.5% where I live. The OP's connection is $42.14 delivered

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
$17.00 ea at Autozone, 4 = $68.00 + tax, 8.5% where I live. The OP's connection is $42.14 delivered
Crap, I did not look at the MR8E reference. The plugs I've been using in my gen1 are CR8E (1275), which are $4.99 each at my local Autozone. Is the MR8E for another generation, or possibly a super plug?

• Haha
Reactions: jha995

·
Registered
661 Posts
Crap, I did not look at the MR8E reference. The plugs I've been using in my gen1 are CR8E (1275), which are $4.99 each at my local Autozone. Is the MR8E for another generation, or possibly a super plug?
No idea, might just be a 3gen plug. When the "what plug do I need" question is asked here, MR8E seems to be the answer?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm coming up on 7500 miles and am due for the spark plug change. I plan to clean, gap and reinstall them. I bought replacements just in case. I'm sure they're good for 15k or more.

·
Registered
647 Posts
MR8E is for Gen3 bikes only. Suzuki seems to have settled on using it across many other new bikes too. It has a projected nose and long ground electrode.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I read somewhere that the 7500 mile recommendation was mostly to avoid serious carbon buildup on the threads being a small portion of the shell protrudes into the combustion chamber. If carbon is allowed to accumulate too heavily then when you finally do remove them it can damage the head on the way out. Also note that the voltage required to jump the gap increases quite dramatically when the center electrode loses its' sharp edge which then puts more of a demand on the coils and secondary ignition system. I like the Iridium plugs because of their fine wire electrode which maintains the voltage to fire similar to new for many more miles.

The plugs don't just 'fire'.....when the primary circuit is broken by the ECU the magnetic field within the coil collapses which then induces the high secondary voltage delivered to the plug. You can watch this on an O-scope as a rapid voltage rise until it's high enough to jump the gap....usually around 5-7000V and then whatever energy remains in the collapsing field is delivered as a lower voltage long duration current across the gap. As the gap widens or the sharp edges wear away the voltage required gets ever higher until eventually it can't get high enough to jump...and you have a misfire. But before this takes place you get into the situation where it still can make enough to jump, but it takes most of the energy to build up enough voltage for this to happen so you get a late and very brief...though high voltage spark. Considering what's going on in the chamber this instantaneous spark might not find enough fuel molecules to ignite and you can get partial misfire which is really hard on the catalytic converter even if you don't notice it while riding. The MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge) systems were designed to alleviate this problem which is the normal operational mode of CDI systems where they discharge capacitors instantly through the coils so they don't have the same spark duration as a normal type system will and were prone to misfiring. Hitting the spark 6-10 times at low speed meant they might not light on the first go...but subsequent sparks made sure that it would eventually make fire...though with slightly retarded timing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Snow finally starting to melt so I called my Suzuki dealer, $25 a plug plus tax. Guess I'm ordering from the UK. SMDH
I just ordered from the link in the first post, $40.73 to my door from the UK
for four MR8E-9 sparkplugs.

hth,

T.

·
Registered
2017 SV650A
76 Posts
I just ordered from the link in the first post, $40.73 to my door from the UK
for four MR8E-9 sparkplugs.

hth,

T.
Did you happen to get your plugs yet? My order shipped on Mar 22 but the email says shipping takes 10-31 working days for US/Canada and no international tracking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts