Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think in all the up and down the board has had lately, we lost the post that had the step-by-step on drilling out the restrictor in the stock exhaust. I am pretty sure Mr Black was the original poster, is there anyway we can revive this post, or would Mr Black be willing to repost his original?

I ask because I've drilled and chiseled the part around the restrictor but don't know what to do from there... I can't seem to get the 1.5"ID pipe I have around the restrictor... I'm fairly sure it's due to my pipe having too large of an outside diameter to fit in the area I've chiseled away.

Where in the muffler does that restrictor go? using a flashlight it looks like it goes in and then bends down... I'm trying to figure out where the welds are I'm trying to break so I can find an alternate means to pop them. (e.g. I can't find a decent pipe around here to fit down the muffler to do the job.)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
dude, it is your lucky day. I did the restrictor removal described by Mr. Black a few days ago, and havent been back on my computer since then...so the post is still on my computer in an open web page (pages 1 and 3 only). I'll copy/paste it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Black on April 23, 2005, 4:45 pm:

Subject: Shortened stock can.........and pics on the bike............

Been a lurker here for quite some time. Finally pulled the trigger on a a new 05 SVs last month. Not new to forums or bikes, that being said this is a great site full of GOOD SV info.

The moment I pulled out of the lot I knew I had to do something with the exhaust. I've heard better sounding sewing machines. Been around twins before and this was not gonna work.

Well I was out of cash so a bling can was out of the question. At first I drilled the restrictor out of the back of the can and that made a HUGE difference. I did this on the 2nd day of ownership. Then I thought why not go ahead and section out about 4 inches and remove the baffles.

I pulled the trigger on that last week. It turned out awesome and sounds better then many of the high pitched aftermarket slip ons I have heard. This sounds very solid and has a lot of bass.

The trick is to leave the perferated core and sound deadener in there. I have heard of guys that just empty the can entirely and it sounds like ass.

I cut the end cap off an inch or so from the back. After that I cut out four inches of stock can, removed the core and cut out the baffles. I then put the core back in. Welded the cap back on and ground that smooth. I then built a stainless trim band for it just to clean it up some.

It sounds awesome and I have gotten a TON of compliments. Someday I may get a fancy can(blue flame or devil) but for now I will keep my 500 bucks.

The moral of the story is that drilling the first baffle with a quarter inch bit is completely uselss IMO. Removing the restrictor tube from the back is a very good sounding comprimise and taking the baffles out sounds wicked.

Sorry for the long first thread.

Some pics of my scooter.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Mr. Black's reply to requests for more details on the restrictor removal:

Originally posted by Mr. Black, Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:07 pm

You could however do the restrictorectomy that storz just did and I did in the biggining.

ALSO I WANT TO SAY THAT I DID NOT COME UP WITH THIS RESTRICTOR REMOVAL IDEA lol guys have been doing it for years on different kinds of bikes.

You have to take a drill a 3/16s drill bit and drill around the restrictor tube(takes about 25 holes). Drill the holes as close to each other as possible.

Then take a chisel and hammer and cut between the drill holes to break the aft part of the tube loose. When you cut that at the back you are gonna have to find a tube that will slide over the restrictor to break the spot welds where the restrictor is attached to the second baffle. It took me about 6 wacks with a sledge and larger tube slipped over the restrictor and it broke loose and I pulled it out the back.

Make sure some one is holding the bike while you break those spot welds.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
here are some pics he posted. the first one is of the restrictor, the thing you're trying to remove. the second two pics are of the inside of the muffler after the restrictor is removed

Originally posted by Mr. Black Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:11 pm

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Black, Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:30 pm

If you remove that tube and still want it about 15% louder then go get a 1" holesaw and a hole saw extension and send it down the tubes that span between the first baffle and the second baffle. You can then open up the first baffle with the holesaw and provide three direct paths to the mid pipe instead of just one. I really loved the sound of this.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I dont have page two of the thread...IIRC, the most important tidbit of info on page two was the size of the pipe Mr. Black slid into the muffler to bang on to remove the restrictor.

Mr. Black's pipe was (IIRC) 1.5 inch ID, 1.75 inch OD, about 1 foot long.

When I did mine, I couldnt find a suitable piece of pipe lying around, so I went and bought one. I used a 1.5"x12" threaded galvanized nipple...it was 2 or 3 bucks at Home Depot, and worked fine.

I ran into a problem when doing mine...I actually bent the end of the restrictor (by beating on it with a sledgehammer...imagine that :roll: ) just enough that it wouldnt fit out the end of the muffler! It doesnt take much, the restrictor just barely fits out the end of the muffler as is. Anyway, after about an hour and a half with a tinsnips, a hacksaw blade, a dremel, and a couple of long pliers, I was able to get the restrictor out...but what a PITA!

Result? A very nice deep rumbling growl, not very loud. Very good tone, sounds wonderful, the way a 650 v-twin should sound...but (compared to other exhausts) pretty quiet. I can only barely hear it at highway speeds. If you want it louder, you'll need to do the holesaw mod described by Mr. Black next (I havent done this...yet :twisted: )

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
on page 3 of the thread, I didnt quite get the gist of the holesaw thing, I asked Mr. Black to describe exactly what should be drilled with the holesaw...refering to the pics he posted of the muffler, he replied:

If you look very carefully you can see two holes behind the top hole where the restrictor was. Those are the holes I put in the first baffle. I did the same to the hole on th right looking at the pic. You need the extention to get to the first baffle.

What you are trying to do is make all three holes in the second baffle match up to holes you make in the first baffle which gives you three sets of holes all the way to the mid pipe instead of just the one. Makes a big difference in sound.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks a ton gahd. I was dredding setting that thread up again.:)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Blixem, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can...keep in mind that I've only done this once (and it was almost a botched job!), I am no expert, and that the only reference I have to go by is the original post by Mr. Black.

blixem said:
I've drilled and chiseled the part around the restrictor but don't know what to do from there... I can't seem to get the 1.5"ID pipe I have around the restrictor... I'm fairly sure it's due to my pipe having too large of an outside diameter to fit in the area I've chiseled away.
Your pipe won't fit over the restrictor because the restrictor is too big. The restrictor is almost exactly the diameter of the exit hole of the muffler. Your pipe just needs to sit on the end of the restrictor to give you something to smack with the hammer...because you wouldnt want to be beating the chromed end of your muffler with a sledgehammer :eek:

You're not actually sliding the pipe down to the spot-welds to break them...the pipe is just sitting on the tip of the restrictor to give you something to beat the hammer against. It makes it as if you were just beating the restrictor.

Where in the muffler does that restrictor go? using a flashlight it looks like it goes in and then bends down... I'm trying to figure out where the welds are I'm trying to break so I can find an alternate means to pop them. (e.g. I can't find a decent pipe around here to fit down the muffler to do the job.)
check the pic of the restrictor...does it make more sense now? see, the spot welds (silver spots on the left side in the pic) are all the way on the other end of the restrictor, way down deep in the muffler. There isnt any way to get to them directly. You just have to beat the restrictor with a hammer (actually beat your pipe that is against the restrictor) until they pop loose.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn, I'm so glad you had all that available...

Your pipe won't fit over the restrictor because the restrictor is too big. The restrictor is almost exactly the diameter of the exit hole of the muffler. Your pipe just needs to sit on the end of the restrictor to give you something to smack with the hammer...because you wouldnt want to be beating the chromed end of your muffler with a sledgehammer
Okay, makes sense, but I've got to be doing something wrong then...

I've bought a 1.5" x 24" black iron pipe from the local hardware place. (got the 24" because it A) was the same price as 12" and B) I thought this had to slide down the restrictor...

I have put the pipe over the end of the restrictor and it seems to sit right where I drilled and chiseled. (From what you're describing I've got that part right.) I must not be hitting the pipe right or with enough force... I've hit it with a 6lb sledge, and cannot seem to get the welds to break. Everytime I hit it I watch my whole exaust system shake. Granted I haven't been pulling back and slamming the exhaust, which maybe my problem.

You guys think I'm just being too gentle and not beating it enough?

·
Registered
326 Posts
You have got the right idea. You just have to hit it very hard and very fast. You will not break anything on the bike so long as you do not knock the bike over.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
blixem said:
I have put the pipe over the end of the restrictor and it seems to sit right where I drilled and chiseled. (From what you're describing I've got that part right.) I must not be hitting the pipe right or with enough force... I've hit it with a 6lb sledge, and cannot seem to get the welds to break. Everytime I hit it I watch my whole exaust system shake. Granted I haven't been pulling back and slamming the exhaust, which maybe my problem.

You guys think I'm just being too gentle and not beating it enough?
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that's what I did wrong...not hit it hard enough.

I smacked that thing for a LONG time before it finally broke loose. I think hitting it harder would have broken the restrictor loose before it got all bent up, making it so difficult to remove for me.

I was afraid of hitting it too hard because I didnt have someone to hold the bike, and I was worried about it falling over. Do yourself a favor - get someone to hold the bike for you, and beat the sh!t out of it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gave this a try today and what a difference. The sound is real low and grumbly. It now sounds like a proper v-twin. I had a real tough time breaking the restrictor loose and getting it out but all in all it turned out pretty good. I'd highly recommend this mod for someone on a budget but wants a different sound.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks to me like the baffles would stop any metal shavings from ever entering the pipe towards the engine. The shavings get blown out after you run it anyways so no worrys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i did this mod this afternoon. took about a hour with a trip to lowe's for a pipe. i used a 6 inch 1.5 in pipe nipple with a cap on one end. took about 10 smacks with 32oz ball peen hammer. sounds alot different. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
398 Posts
thank god, I was hoping this would pop back up. I drilled out my restrictor and realized I didnt know what to do about the hammering bit so its sat there half done for a couple weeks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts