Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally get between 40 and 42 MPG commuting back and forth to work. The fuel light comes on between 127 to 135 miles normally. The speed is between 70 and 80 (4500 to 5300RPM's)

Now when I go out for a weekend of kinda hard riding or when I went to and while at Deal's Gap, I was getting in the upper 40's the fuel light wouldn't come on until around 160 miles. THat is around a 20% improvement (reward) to flog the bike :lol: .

Ok, so I decided to it was an RPM thing. So for the last 3 to 4 weeks. I have been keeping the RPM's at 5500 to 6000 RPMs. I am now getting between 150 and 160 miles before the fuel light comes on.

Just thought I would let you all know my findings and see if you guys can duplicate my findings.

Keep in mind that during this whole time I have been running RENEGADE's Airkit, Full twin carbon exhaust, and the power commander.

·
Registered
498 Posts
that isn't uncommon. Most engines have a speed (the translation of RPM and load) that they opperate most efficiently. For example a the C4 vette was known to get better gas milage at 80 than at 60.

C

·
0 Posts
hey man thanks for the advice I've been try this and it works thanks alot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So are you suggesting that I ride my bike in 4th or 5th (rather than 6th)gear on the freeway and I'll get better gas mileage?

I have a hard time believing that doing 80 mph in 5th gear at, what 6000 rpm will yield better mpg's than cruising in 6th at 5000 rpm. But, I will try it out tomorrow on the commute and I'll get back to ya!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly what I am telling you.

FroRule said:
So are you suggesting that I ride my bike in 4th or 5th (rather than 6th)gear on the freeway and I'll get better gas mileage?

I have a hard time believing that doing 80 mph in 5th gear at, what 6000 rpm will yield better mpg's than cruising in 6th at 5000 rpm. But, I will try it out tomorrow on the commute and I'll get back to ya!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's the same on my 650, 5-6k range yeilds about a 6mpg (20%) more than above or below that point. Noticed it first after riding Deal's Gap in 3rd & 4th gears, and again yesterday riding twisties at Hanging Rock State Park area. Flogging it in the twisties I get 53mpg, Around town at 3.5-4.5k RPM it gets 47.

I guess my ideal speed in sixth gear should be 62 mph, not gonna happen :twisted:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just got used to the idea of "Hey, lookie here, another 100 miles, where's the gas station" .

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Matt McHenry said:
I normally get between 40 and 42 MPG commuting back and forth to work. The fuel light comes on between 127 to 135 miles normally. The speed is between 70 and 80 (4500 to 5300RPM's)

Now when I go out for a weekend of kinda hard riding or when I went to and while at Deal's Gap, I was getting in the upper 40's the fuel light wouldn't come on until around 160 miles. THat is around a 20% improvement (reward) to flog the bike :lol: .

Ok, so I decided to it was an RPM thing. So for the last 3 to 4 weeks. I have been keeping the RPM's at 5500 to 6000 RPMs. I am now getting between 150 and 160 miles before the fuel light comes on.

Just thought I would let you all know my findings and see if you guys can duplicate my findings.

Keep in mind that during this whole time I have been running RENEGADE's Airkit, Full twin carbon exhaust, and the power commander.
my experience is similar, and I believe its the wind resistance that robs your fuel economy, while you might be floggin it thru the dragon, yer not averaging 70-80 mph, more like 45mph or less , you might peak at 80mph for a split second, but then you have to quickly slow down to 30. it takes a lot of throttle to constantly maintain highway speeds

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think it is the wind resistance as much as it is the fact that the bike gets better gas mileage at that certain RPM range. I get the the same or almost the same MPG no matter what speeds I do, as long as I keep the RPM's in that range.

Must be a surveyors thing ;D....

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Matt McHenry said:
I don't think it is the wind resistance as much as it is the fact that the bike gets better gas mileage at that certain  RPM range. I get the the same or almost the same MPG no matter what speeds I do, as long as I keep the RPM's in that range.

Must be a surveyors thing ;D....
when I posted, I wasn't paying attention, didn't realize I was in the SV1k section, believe me wind resistance makes a BIG difference on the 650

·
Registered
51 Posts
sorry,all of my tests were inconclusive,i could'nt keep it below 11k rpm.i even tried pulling the clutch in and drifting down hills.did'nt help.i will just deal with the modest 45 mpg i average on my SVK1.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanx I'm going to try it out I have been trying to get an idea on how my new SV1K is with gas. Regardless I think i'm going to get better milage then with my V8 Tundra so I'm happy as long as I'm on my bike! Your milage is with premium 93 octane correct?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts