Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's somewhat motorcycle related...

I've got this Garmin 2820 GPS on my SV that plays mp3's, bluetooths, XM radio...all that stuff. It has some mp3's loaded onto it already from the factory...you know..that sample music stuff. It's pretty much a drag and drop situation to load it. You just USB it to the computer and drag and drop mp3 files into the appropriate folder on the Garmin, but here's my problem....

When I put a CD into my drive and copy it to my harddrive, those files are being recognized as a .cda file NOT an mp3 file so they are not showing up on the GPS when I drag and drop. As a side note, I have iTunes for my iPod but that would launch automatically and convert the files to the iPod's proprietary mp4 file which is pita so I disabled iTunes from launching so now I can open the folders and view the files without iTunes taking control.

How do I get these files recognized as mp3's so I can drag them onto my Garmin?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I believe you would need a file converting software...some of them are free online. Google "convert cda to mp3" and you should have a bunch of results. throw in a free download in there somewhere and there should be at least one software that is free.

cda's are protected...so you can't change the file extension without these softwares..

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see.

I just assumed that the files on the CD would be mp3's. Where does everyone get these mp3's for all these mp3 players that are floating around? Again, in my infinite widom, I assumed that if I bought a CD, I could use those files.

Sorry for my ignorance. It's just a facet of computing that I haven't spent much time experiencing. I don't want to get off topic, though. I want mp3's on my Garmin for the trip I'm rollin' on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You need to 'rip' the CDs to MP3. Windows Media Player can do this, and I think iTunes can as well (though MP3 is not the default, as you've discovered). Just 'copying' the files to your HD won't really work. You don't mention if you're on a PC or MAC? Post your operating system, and we'll be able to help you out better.

Edit - I think Windows Media Player would create WMA files by default, so you have to go into the options on the 'Rip' tab and change it to create MP3s.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The process is called ripping. Windows Media Player (which you should already have on your computer) does it. Open WMP and it is a tab at the top. It is a fairly simple process once you've done it before.

Edit: Imychajluk beat me to the post. If you open WMP and click the down arrow in the rip tab, scroll over to format and you can change format to MP3.

·
Registered
14 Posts
iTunes can rip to MP3, but it uses the Apple CODEC by default. It should be in the Preferences under the General tab. Look for a button that reads "Import Settings..." and change from AAC to MP3.

Edit: Your iPod(s) will be able to play the MP3's as well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I see.

I just assumed that the files on the CD would be mp3's. Where does everyone get these mp3's for all these mp3 players that are floating around? Again, in my infinite widom, I assumed that if I bought a CD, I could use those files.

Sorry for my ignorance. It's just a facet of computing that I haven't spent much time experiencing. I don't want to get off topic, though. I want mp3's on my Garmin for the trip I'm rollin' on.
Cd's players unless specified will not play mp3's, so any cd you buy will likely be in cda format. There are a multitude of converters that you can use.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgging Icehole!! :eek:

You guys are a wealth of info. I learned somethin' here today. Thanks!

Holy Bean Burritos...I'm "Ripping" one right now with Windows Media Player.

SUCCESS!!! I just used WMP to convert and Sync with the Garmin. It worked!!

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Quick note. I would check the Rip settings in WMP for the bitrate it compresses to. I can't remember the default (it's halfway on the slider) but that always made the music sound washed out to me, so I crank it up to 192kbps. It takes up more room that way, but it sounds a lot better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Now that you have the basics down, and if WMP is recognizing your GPS as a 'syncable' device, dig around in the settings for WMP. I'm pretty sure you can configure the Sync settings to Sync X songs, and shuffle what syncs, so you always have a fresh playlist.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
It's somewhat motorcycle related...

I've got this Garmin 2820 GPS on my SV that plays mp3's, bluetooths, XM radio...all that stuff. It has some mp3's loaded onto it already from the factory...you know..that sample music stuff. It's pretty much a drag and drop situation to load it. You just USB it to the computer and drag and drop mp3 files into the appropriate folder on the Garmin, but here's my problem....

When I put a CD into my drive and copy it to my harddrive, those files are being recognized as a .cda file NOT an mp3 file so they are not showing up on the GPS when I drag and drop. As a side note, I have iTunes for my iPod but that would launch automatically and convert the files to the iPod's proprietary mp4 file which is pita so I disabled iTunes from launching so now I can open the folders and view the files without iTunes taking control.

How do I get these files recognized as mp3's so I can drag them onto my Garmin?

I use Itunes to convert Cds to Mp3, when I put them in my Zumo, I store them in a folder called Mp3

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I followed Zen's advice and found the place to change how my iTunes encodes the files. It's now selected as "mp3" files. The proprietary nature of the iTunes/iPod has always had me really torqued when I have had problems so Zen, you just might have breathed new life into my 30 gb iPod Video.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts