Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently living in Minneapolis, but moving to New Orleans at some point this summer. I am contemplating using the bike as my only means of transportation when I am down there. Anyone live in New Orleans? How feasible is bike only? How about security for the bike...I can imagine theft may be a problem... Any input would be appreciated... Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
I live in BR, lived outside of NO for a while, here in BR a bike is great, and when I visit NO I see a good bit of bikes. The weather is something to consider though. My jacket is waterproof, (thanks Frank Thomas), and I keep rain pants with me all the time. As for security, who knows.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I lived in NO until three years ago, so I have 45 years of experience riding there. Security isn't a big problem. I would cable lock my bike downtown often and never had a problem. The only bikes I knew of that got stolen were stolen from people's houses.

Weather is problematic two ways: rain and heat. Some rain gear that you can pack away (like Frog Togs) is a good idea. There is no solution for the heat other than to get used to it. I love hot weather so it wasn't a problem for me. Until you are acclimatized beware of getting overheated.

It's not a bad town to commute in, but traffic can be a bit rowdy. Rush hour traffic is heavy but pretty orderly.

What part of town are you looking at for housing?

You should think about joining a gym. There are many hazards to your health, like Mandina's, Commander's Palace, Cafe du Monde, etc.

·
Registered
414 Posts
New Orleans-whew. I sort of remember a couple of trips to jazz-fest there and vaguely remember something called bourban street.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The picture in my avatar is north louisiana fishing, so get of the city and get your line wet. the state moto is "sportsmans paradise".

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm in New Orleans. Andy pretty much hit the nail on the head in his post.

It's a small enough city that getting around town by bike is easy. Even if your commute is from one of the outer areas like Metairie or New Orleans East. The traffic can be crazy but the distances between places aren't that far so getting around isn't bad.

The weather can change at any given time....especially with regards to rain. The only thing you can count on is heat in the summer. Most new arrivals say dealing with the heat is the hardest thing.

Despite the town's reputation with regards to crime I've never had any issues with crime in general....or bike thefts in particular. It's like any other town. As long as use common sense...and take basic measures...bike security shouldn't be an issue.

Where will you be living and working? I can give more specific info if I know where you'll be spending most of your time.

P.S. Let me know if you do track days....we have a nice little track group here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the input. I am actually moving down there for another year of grad school at Tulane. I intend to try to find a place near campus...I guess that means Uptown/University? I am a bit worried about the heat as i have lived in New England and the Upper Midwest my whole life...

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
That's a mixed area. Very nice atmosphere, lots of restaurants, bars and night life. Unfortunately the crime in that area is something to watch out for. After Katrina that area, sketchy to begin with, got worse. You could consider Old Jefferson. Convenient and much safer as long as you avoid the area on both sides of Causeway Blvd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts