Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone has tried to move the battery from under the seat into the Tail Compartment, or if anyone has any advice for/ against it.

Is it just a terrible idea? I figured it would be kind of nice to just use the key to open it up and be able to charge your battery.

Sorry if there is a thread for this already (if there is may I please have the link?) I did a light search and didn't really find anything.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you need to use anything that requires the use of the battery (any chargers for iphones or handwarmers, etc) will need to be a lot longer to reach the battery. That's the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe center of gravity will get thrown off? Battery is pretty light so I don't know if this will be an issue

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I would suggest attaching a lead to the battery instead of relocating it. Centralizing the mass is an advantage, plus you don't want to have to extend all your cables.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345619356&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+cable[/ame] I would suggest something like that. Battery tenders tend to come with them.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would suggest attaching a lead to the battery instead of relocating it. Centralizing the mass is an advantage, plus you don't want to have to extend all your cables.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...45619356&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+cable I would suggest something like that. Battery tenders tend to come with them.
+1 I have a tender cable going from the battery to the storage area and sticking just out the rear seat.

It's great for when I need to inflate my tire with an electric air compressor or charging my idevices

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I have my battery in my tail, plus battery tender pigtail.
An old pic, but the battery has been in this same place for the last 2-3yrs.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Terrible idea due to undesirable mass relocation. Add a charging pigtail or install quick release front seat bolts if easy changing is your goal.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Terrible idea due to undesirable mass relocation. Add a charging pigtail or install quick release front seat bolts if easy changing is your goal.
Bad idea, just use the pigtails as mentioned above. Also you are losing all that valuable space for everyday items you may want to store there while riding. Not that there is much you can put in there but occasionally i'd put my wallet, keys extra tools or small bottles of water.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
As someone who's actually done this relocation, I'm not capable of detecting the slight difference in battery position while riding. I honestly believe I'd not know that the battery had moved up the 6-8" in the tail. Perhaps a better rider or someone with more delicate or sensitive senses could detect it, alas, I could not.

I could see that if you were racing, it's clearly not in your best interest to move the battery there but if you're racing, WTF are you doing with a heavy stock battery?

If you're looking to move the battery for the sole purpose of easier access to charge, go the Battery Tender route and do the pigtail. It's likely the best option out there for charging and like others said, you can use the pigtail for powering other devices while you're riding.

My reason for moving the battery was to create at more aesthetic undertail.
I've also got a tender pigtail and thumbscrews for seat bolts which allow for quick removal of the seat (which is where the eastern beaver power center 8 is stored, along with the remainder of the electronics, minus the R/R).

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hey Dan,

It would be almost impossible to tell if you moved the battery to the tail during street rides. At the track the difference would be felt right away since you would feel the weight when going back and forth when leaning. For instance at chicanes where usually they are tight and quick flipping back and forth the weight placed that far back and up would be felt even by the least expierenced rider. You would need more effort to move from side to side. But its by no way destroying the handling of the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have my battery in my tail, plus battery tender pigtail.
An old pic, but the battery has been in this same place for the last 2-3yrs.
As someone who's actually done this relocation, I'm not capable of detecting the slight difference in battery position while riding. I honestly believe I'd not know that the battery had moved up the 6-8" in the tail. Perhaps a better rider or someone with more delicate or sensitive senses could detect it, alas, I could not.

I could see that if you were racing, it's clearly not in your best interest to move the battery there but if you're racing, WTF are you doing with a heavy stock battery?

If you're looking to move the battery for the sole purpose of easier access to charge, go the Battery Tender route and do the pigtail. It's likely the best option out there for charging and like others said, you can use the pigtail for powering other devices while you're riding.

My reason for moving the battery was to create at more aesthetic undertail.
I've also got a tender pigtail and thumbscrews for seat bolts which allow for quick removal of the seat (which is where the eastern beaver power center 8 is stored, along with the remainder of the electronics, minus the R/R).

It's nice to see it has been done before! and glad to hear it hasn't affected handling on the street, even with the shift in mass.

Ultimately my goal is actually to see alternatives for chopping away at my battery box to install a zx10r rear shock. I've been through many forums of possible solutions, but I haven't seen anyone just go and relocate the battery. Seems like there is the added advantage of easy access charging, but like many have mentioned, the pigtails would already be a good solution for that.

But directed at Dan, how did you extend the stock +/- wires to reach into the tail compartment? Also, were there any issues of keeping it stable (Not moving around in the tail)? more specifically, how did you mount it?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I had some battery cable extensions made, both are like 8" or 10" in length.
No issues keeping it stable, it's kept in place with the undertail. It's a steel sheet with a battery box welded in place to keep it from sliding down (foam under the battery) and has slight pressure from the subframe on top. The undertail is bolted to the subframe which snugs the battery closer to the subframe. No issues with it moving around as is, and to remove I just loosen the undertail slightly (2 bolts) and remove the battery cables and it slides right out.

Like I previously said, I moved the battery because of aesthetics and to give room for my previous rear-shock reservoir (ZX6/636).
This picture shows the space provided for the shock

And one of the undertail (a bit old but the concept is still the same)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I only heard of battery relocation down near the engine to lower the CG. Why would anyone want to put a 12lb object higher up on the bike to rasie it CG and decentralize the mass? The fact that someone can't tell the difference doesn't mean the physics don't exist.
I'm not discrediting the physics, i'm saying if the change doesn't upset the rider then where you put something really doesn't matter. And this is not the first time someone has done this mod, its been done many times before but usually when they do it they also swap out the battery for one of those super light types. I have also see where the battery is lowered even further to either side of the motorcycle right behind the radiator but more on the side of the bike not behind it.

And I believe the guy wants to swap out rear shocks and that space would be occupied by the top of the shock res.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
The fact that someone can't tell the difference doesn't mean the physics don't exist.
Yep, I'm not denying the physics of it- it makes perfect sense.
I'm just saying that for me, as a street rider, I wasn't able to notice any difference for myself. Since I'm not a racer it wasn't a big deal to me. Twas a slight trade-off for fit over function.
Guess I need to put in the obligatory YMMV.

If you were racing with this then most certainly it'd be a strange place to relocate the battery to, as there are better options out there (as previously stated- down lower and closer to the motor like others have done or just getting a lighter-weight battery period are better options if you're racing).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Down and to the front is probably the best location. The SV is light on the front end so anything you can do to add weight up front is a benefit. It is also very easy to access. I run total loss and can change out the battery in under 2 minutes between sessions.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I think I just read a reference to Triumph having moved the battery to just behind the forks, but don't remember which model or where I read it.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
eddie, what swingarm is that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only heard of battery relocation down near the engine to lower the CG. Why would anyone want to put a 12lb object higher up on the bike to rasie it CG and decentralize the mass? The fact that someone can't tell the difference doesn't mean the physics don't exist.
Down and to the front is probably the best location. The SV is light on the front end so anything you can do to add weight up front is a benefit. It is also very easy to access. I run total loss and can change out the battery in under 2 minutes between sessions.
I think I just read a reference to Triumph having moved the battery to just behind the forks, but don't remember which model or where I read it.

I can definitely see the advantages of putting the Battery down and to the front, especially for track purposes, but would this be a disadvantage for street bikes?

I don't have immediate plans to take it to the track and all I can imagine is riding home when all of a sudden rain pours on me. (Sucks but sometimes it happens) Then all I can worry about is if water is going to get to my battery and somehow causing damage. Especially when it's right behind the front wheel and so low to the ground. Is this a legitimate concern? or maybe the storage for the battery is water proof or something...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've raced in a downpour so hard they had to stop the race; no issues with the battery. There are big drain holes in the bottom of the battery box.

Swingarm is a JMC. Wouldn't recommend them because of their customer service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts