Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been riding a lot more in the past few weeks and ive noticed that my left foot/leg is getting kind of tired of setting on the peg and above the shifter. i'm wondering if its possible to move the shift lever position down slightly to make it more comfortable for cruisin along and what not. thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
04blusv said:
so ive been riding a lot more in the past few weeks and ive noticed that my left foot/leg is getting kind of tired of setting on the peg and above the shifter. i'm wondering if its possible to move the shift lever position down slightly to make it more comfortable for cruisin along and what not. thanks in advance
Yeah, its is actually pretty easy to do. All you have to do is loosen the one bolt, a pinch bolt, that hold the shift lever to the gear shaft coming out of the trans. I would marke it with a pencil, so you can put back to stock position if you want to. Loosen that bolt enough to pull the shift ever off of the splined gear shaft and twist it which ever way puts the shifter itself where you think it will be comfortable. Put it back on the shaft and tigthen it back up. Becareful when tightening it, its only aluminum...torque spec has to be kinda low..not sure the exact number.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It may or may not be necessary to move the lever on the transmission itself. The connecting bar is a turnbuckle. Loosen the small nuts. I haven't done it in a while, but I'm pretty sure the one on the transmission end is right-handed, the one at the foot lever is left-handed. That is, you would push the wrench down on both ends to loosen. Once the nuts are loosened rotate the shaft to raise or lower the foot lever.

Once you have the foot lever where you want it, look at the pedal lever and the transmission lever. They should be close to parallel. This gives the best "action". If they are too far out of parallel you may have to remove the lever from the transmission as described above and rotate it a tooth or two.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Yeah Andy, I thought about using that too when I did mine, but I felt since it was in the center of the range of movement of the shift lever, it was just best to leave that at the length it was and just rotate the shift lever around the gear select shaft.

Your idea would work too, just a little more complicated with the left hand and right hand threads.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
My method is easier, trust me. It's quicker, and you almost never have to reposition the lever at the trans. If you move the lever at the transmission you will almost certainly have to fine-tune with the tie bar. If you look at the manual it will tell you to adjust the lever position using the tie bar. 5 minutes and you're done.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ivan said:
Absolutely correct...I think the torque specs are too low. My bolt has vibrated off once and been loose twice until I put a very small amount of duck tape around it. I guess I could torque it higher but it is one of those fasteners that pushes up against another fastener that as long as it doesn't rotate then it won't move.
Maybe consider some thread lock?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Use the turnbuckle to make the adjustment. Put a little dab of blue Loc-Tite on anything you loosen, and torque it lightly when you snug it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts