Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just moved out to Arlington, VA from SLC UT where I'd been for about 2 years for grad school.  I've been away from the board for awhile, but some of you might recall me...

Anyway, my new job covered my move so I figured I'd have someone else load my crap into a truck and drive it this time around.  Bad choice. 
1) my stuff was a month late
2) ~$5,000 worth of damage and missing items
3) Bike was trashed.

Yes, #3 - they (the local agent for the national moving chain I used) assured me that they would crate my bike, strap it down, etc. - you know, how you see it done normally. NOPE.  My motorcycle showed up lying on its side against my box spring and mattress in a rather large crate.  Besides damage to the shift linkage, the shifter, the choke cable, the paint and a turn signal that was snapped, there is the possibility of front suspension damage. A "restoration" company was hired to deal with ordering new parts and getting the bike repaired. They are supposedly replacing the tank, the left front fairing, the tailpiece, the shifter, etc., which is funny because that probably tacks on another grand or so to add to the $5,000 above.  And it sounds like it might be another 1.5-2 weeks before the damn thing is done because the repair shop is swamped.

I have yet to get the bike back and they picked it up on July 5th.  I haven't ridden since mid-May and I am SALTY.  The sad thing is that my small move cost $1,600.  At least I got the extra insurance. Oh yeah, they lost my Arai helmet, my Icon helmet (passenger lid) and my gloves...

Pics... This is AFTER I pulled my $3,000 mtn. bike off of the top of my SV, along with some futon parts and a few moving blankets. The moving guy (in first pic) said he'd seen worse, but that he was shocked at how lazy the packers were with my stuff...

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Man...what a f'n nightmare...what was the name of the chain that destroyed your stuff? I just heard on the news that moving companies are the #1 complaint at Better Business Bureaus.

Hope you get your ride back soon!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
:eek: That's jacked up. I would be exceptionally angry but I would control it by simply laying the logical/legal smack down: "show me the money!"

Josh

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was pissed, but I knew that I had to stay chill to make sure that the customer complaint/claims department would work for me, not against me.  And to their credit, they did.  I've received some large checks to cover the lost/missing/damaged items and the bike is being taken care of. I think my patience, calmness with them and perhaps the fact that our corporate lawyer gave them a friendly call all added up. So, to be fair, I don't want to mention the main company - they handled things very well. The local contractor in SLC was the originator of the problem, but I was 2,000 miles away (probably a very good thing for all of us involved). Patience and time do work wonders, but I'm getting tired of NOT riding my bike.  I might actually make good on threats I've made on this board to go out and pick up a new bike (thinking Speed Triple, Tuono, Monster, etc.).  But yeah, livid, pissed, furious summed it up.  You guys know how much time can go into modding a bike, caring for it, etc.  - I took it personally for awhile.  Now I just see it as bad luck and an opportunity to maybe get a new bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no compensation for the lack of bike.... they did comp me 50% on meals for about 3 weeks, comp me some money for clothes and they pro-rated my rent, so that could go towards the "no bike" fund, I suppose...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have always moved myself because frankly I just don't trust anyone to respect my property. I have heard of very few people who have ever had a good or even reasonable experience with their movers. In fact I just talked a friend out of using a moving company, especially since he's just ONE PERSON in a small apartment. We're going to rent a Uhaul and get a few friends together and make a day of it. He'll be a lot happier!

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have always moved myself (except once which went well) - I had heard the horror stories, but I figured going with large, national mover would help. Nope - they sub work out.

NEXT TIME - I do it myself. I rented a Budget to move to SLC and I just strapped my bike down to a rather large piece of plywood and I made sure to strap it to the side of the truck, too. No probs.

I just had knee surgery in the end of April, so my leg was gimpy and I didn't want to lug my crap around, so that added to the rationale. Never again, even if I only have one leg and one arm, I will move my damn stuff my damn self. I suggest everyone else do the same - add this to that list of crappy moves.

·
Registered
539 Posts
damn dude, that sucks ass. i guess some jack ass mover has some new gear? probably figured you wouldn't need it, since he prob knew your bike would be trashed.

does anybody else use a laptop? that damn touch pad really pisses me off, i hate to turn it off since i use it so much. anyway, i'll move myself next time. thanks for the warning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts