Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone just moved the clipons from below the triple tree clamp to on top of it? Iam looking at lowering my SO's SVs. I have already lowered the rear with new dogbones and lowered the front via the forks. This lowered the bars by the same amount. I was wondering if I could utilize the space now created on top of the forks to mount the clip ons, thus raising the bars.
Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'd think that, as long as you have full purchase on the clamps, it would be okay (as far as the clip-ons not falling off). Who knows what it'll do to the handling though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's my thinking that the handling should not be any more adversly affected than fitting helibars would it?
Rod

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
THe difficulty in handling isn't from the position of the clip-ons, it's from moving the forks up in the triples. You're changing the front end goemetry, steepening the head angle, and reducing the trail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would that be the case if I have lowered the back by the same amount? ie. I lowered the back of the bike by about 1 in. and lowered the front by the same amount. Should that not keep the overall geometry about the same?
Rod

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, lowering the front and rear the same amount with maintain the steering geometry (for the most part), but the bike will be more prone to scraping while cornering. Lowering a bike is generally a bad thing for handling and should only be done in extreme cases, IMO.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
A guy I ride with did this to his wife's SV. She had a shaved seat, longer dogbones, and he moved the clip ons to the top of the triple clamp. I rode it around for a short time and it didn't handle too poorly at all.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i know someone who had this done to her sv,even with springs that were probabely changed for the 200 lb former owner of the bike(she bought the sv from a mutual friend)the fender hits or something bottoms.don't like it, not one bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to everyone for the advice. My SO is only 5'2 and a beginner rider. I am not too worried about her scraping things (yet!!). My aim was to adjust the bike so that it was more comfortable and confidence inspiring (eg. being able to flatfoot at least one side) and then when she has progressed, I can raise both ends back up. I think I will give the clipon above the triple tree a try and see how it goes. If it doesn't, it is easy to put back.
Thanks again for the input.
Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts