Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
bought my 07sv650N in march.
changed the front springs,(sonic springs from rich davis)
put a zx10r rear shock
changed the oil already twice...
currently i am shopping for chain/sprockets so i can change it in the winter
oh i already have a new conti tire devliered recently ,,
so i assume i am putting some love in to my machine.....

i live in detroit,mi . i recently got engaged and my GF lives in california.
my question for you guys, should i ship sv when i am moving or sell it(i do not want ) and buy another SV once in california. is it worth the shipping cost. i love my this machine.
honestly i talked my girl to look for a job in detroit but turns it is easier for me find a job in cali .

please adivce

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ride it to Cali. That would be an awesome road trip.

If you have to move anyway, you'll likely have a moving truck or trailer of some kind. Just get one big enough that the SV will fit on there too.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Can you register your out-of-state SV in Cali? And if you can, what mods will you have to do to make it registerable? Those are the questions to ask. There are SVs in California already. And some of them are for sale.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hi all
bought my 07sv650N in march.
changed the front springs,(sonic springs from rich davis)
put a zx10r rear shock
changed the oil already twice...
currently i am shopping for chain/sprockets so i can change it in the winter
oh i already have a new conti tire devliered recently ,,
so i assume i am putting some love in to my machine.....

i live in detroit,mi . i recently got engaged and my GF lives in california.
my question for you guys, should i ship sv when i am moving or sell it(i do not want ) and buy another SV once in california. is it worth the shipping cost. i love my this machine.
honestly i talked my girl to look for a job in detroit but turns it is easier for me find a job in cali .

please adivce
I might be moving soon and I'm wondering the same thing. I've invested time and my choice of mods that I'd rather not do again if I don't have to.

I'm pretty attached to my machine as well. I'm thinking of having it either shipped, securing it in the moving truck, or trailering it behind us.

Curious to hear what others have done and how much shipping was.

Best of luck with the move!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
my usual procedure has been to leave the bike with friends or family, move all my stuff to the new location via ryder or u-haul, then come back on greyhound and ride the bike to the new location.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
Can you register your out-of-state SV in Cali? And if you can, what mods will you have to do to make it registerable? Those are the questions to ask. There are SVs in California already. And some of them are for sale.
Not a problem to register a 49 state vehicle in California, as long as it has 7500+ miles on the odometer. IIRC all SVs are built to CARB specs anyway, so shouldn't be a problem. They don't do any sort of smog inspection, so again, no problem if you've got an aftermarket exhaust system or have transplanted a Kawasaki H2 motor into your SV.

Hard to make any sort of blanket statement about California- it's kind of like saying "bread" or "beer"- there's a lot of ground covered by a single word. Finding another SV would be pretty easy in a large urban area like LA or the San Francisco bay area, but if you end up somewhere rural like Fresno or Redding your options might be pretty thin.

So where are you going to be?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It will likely be cheaper to take it with you than to have to buy a new used SV at California prices. I say ship it..
This. I about jumped for joy when I saw ads for late, low-mileage second gen SV's under $4k. Even the early first gens with higher mileage in CA go regularly for over $3k.

And like everyone said, no inspection, no smog. Well, not yet anyway. They pretty much walk out, verify the VIN, and you're good to go.

Not to mention, that's a beautiful ride through Colorado, Utah, and the Sierras. I mean, yeah, you have to put up with Nevada too but just give it a bit more wrist and it will all be over soon.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Not a problem to register a 49 state vehicle in California, as long as it has 7500+ miles on the odometer. IIRC all SVs are built to CARB specs anyway, so shouldn't be a problem. They don't do any sort of smog inspection, so again, no problem if you've got an aftermarket exhaust system or have transplanted a Kawasaki H2 motor into your SV.

Hard to make any sort of blanket statement about California- it's kind of like saying "bread" or "beer"- there's a lot of ground covered by a single word. Finding another SV would be pretty easy in a large urban area like LA or the San Francisco bay area, but if you end up somewhere rural like Fresno or Redding your options might be pretty thin.

So where are you going to be?
Unfortunately, YDNRC (you do not recall correctly). Suzuki made non-CA SV's. Either the mileage or the model will be important.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you fellas , i will ship it eventually.
like darius put it "it is like family member now"
how much am i looking to ship , any ideas.
......i know they ship cars , i am shipping my car.. will see if they cut me a deal
i got a month or two to plan my move.
thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cost me about $600 to ship a VFR700F from Pensacola, Florida to Portland, OR

It goes down from there.

I used:
www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com

I was happy with the experience and they had it on a lift-gate truck on a rolling motorcycle carrier. They helped unload onto my trailer and went on their way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.