Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted the front wheel on my SV after redoing the forks. I don't have a torque wrench & was wondering if tighting the axle with a standard wrench is ok or do I really need to put a torque wrench on it? I tightened it with the standard wrench & it spins freely so I don't believe I've put the bearings in a bind. Also, what about the pinch bolt? I've also heard people talk about "centering" the axle. What does this mean? Please pardon my ignorance.
Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Technically you should use a torque wrench. Most people don't, but I feel that torque specs are important. As long as you didn't overtighten the axle nut, you should be fine. Before tightening the pinch bolt, pump the forks a few times to make sure the axle is in alignment. A torque wrench is an investment that you should seriously consider. If nothing else, it'll give you peace of mind; not to mention the fact that your hardware wil all be torqued to factory specs.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Grab the wrench by the end of the handle and tighten it with firm pressure, enough that you can feel the wrench dig into your palm but not enough that you start changing facial expressions or grunting ;D
The pinch bolt will make sure ti doesn't fall out, you just need to make it tight enough to seat the forks/spacers/bearings together.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Aluminum parts and no torque wrench equals stripped bolts.

A beam and needle torque wrench is less than twenty bucks at Sears.

Harbor Freight sells "clickers" on sale for 20 to 30 bucks.

Strip one aluminum part or a spark plug in the head and you are going to pay way over the cost of the torque wrench.

As for torquing by feel, I have always noticed that it is overtorqued more often than not.
Your bike, your tools, your decision.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
You are not going to regret it.

Even after all these years .. I still find myself doubting the torque wrench ... "That can't be 20 ft-lbs!!!" :eek:

And you want to get it tighter. ::)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.