Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of threads about this topic, but I have a different question, and a different approach. I have been looking at getting a steering damper, specifically a GSX-R damper, and installing it on a 2nd generation SV650s, but rather than down by the lower triple, I want to pull it up and mount it above the top triple. So it would be right above the bolts for the gas tank and by the ignition. Is this possible to do?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have given this quite a bit of thought. The mount to the frame (and damper body) is simple - it is just an extension of the tank bolts. The mount to the triple is the tricky part if you want it to be a bolt on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't want to spend too much money, I plan to change other things on the bike as well, I just thought it would look cool to run this setup plus you get the benefits of a steering damper! Nucular have you tried this setup or have any mockups of this done on the bike in question? I know you're the go to guy for this and if I can't figure out a way to run this setup I might just go with your lower triple mount kit. But from a form stand point this would just look really cool.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I've mocked it up a few times but didn't take any pictures. Like I said - mounting it to the triple is the part I couldn't come up with a decent solution for. There are a few different ways I can see of going at it but I didn't really like any of them:

* Custom triple
* raise the forks and put a clamp on the portion that sticks out from the triple
* make a custom fork end cap that has a damper mounting point -- or --
* make an extended fork end cap and put a clamp on the extended portion

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've mocked it up a few times but didn't take any pictures. Like I said - mounting it to the triple is the part I couldn't come up with a decent solution for. There are a few different ways I can see of going at it but I didn't really like any of them:

* Custom triple
* raise the forks and put a clamp on the portion that sticks out from the triple
* make a custom fork end cap that has a damper mounting point -- or --
* make an extended fork end cap and put a clamp on the extended portion
I agree that mounting the damper in a linear position would be quite easy. Is there some way of making a mount that attaches back under the upper triple and extends far enough over for the end of the damper to bolt to?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you would clamp either under the triple or maybe to the tube and have an extension that runs up to the damper? I considered that but I didn't like have long the extension would have to be to reach from the damper (sitting above tank level) to below the triple.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What if you made a clamp that used the screws for the gas tank, extended of course, to clamp the stabilizer and then used a piece of metal that stuck out to the right or left side of the bike and bolted to the pit bolt, the bolt that the stabilizer joint bolts to. Does that make sense to anyone? I might just place the stabilizer on the lower triple, this seems like it might not look clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts