Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had started a lame thread on sourcing an alternative option for driving the stock speedometer. So I did some more reading and ordered up the parts,: a Cherry hall effect sensor (GS100701) and some magnets ( # 99K3101 , Magnet, 1/4" x 1/10") & holders (#99K3251, 3/8" Cup for 1/4" Magnet). I think I have most of it figured out, just wondering how the magnet holders will mount on the rotors. In the guides I've read, they say to drill and tap the magnet holders and attach with a 6/32 screw.( length cut to 8mm) Most of these speedo mods were done on GSXR conversions. Does anyone know if the rotor rivet holes are the same size on the SV and GSXR ? I don't see how the magnet holder wold stay in place, since the overall diameter is smaller than the rivet hole, even with a screw from the back. I guess the head of the 6/32 screw would have to be larger than the rivet hole. The 6/32 screws that I have access to all have a smaller head size than the rotor rivet hole.
Sorry for the essay.
Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the ones I got are about 3/8" outside diameter for the 1/4" magnets. They fit into my rotor rivet holes, but not snugly enough. Don't see how a screw would keep it in, but I guess I could epoxy them in place.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
just go to Radio Shack and get some rare earth magnets and stick 'um to the rotors...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
magnectily!! ditch the holder...

they WILL stick to the rotor...

i had the same thing on my 05 and could never tighten them up, so, a little clear silicone fixed that...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I finally got around to mounting this stuff up. Siliconed the 4 magnets to the rotor, mounted the hall effect sensor to a bracket on the fork leg. When I turn the key on and spin the front wheel by hand, I get nothing, zilch. Tried spacing the sensor any where from 1/8 inch to about 1/2 inch, no joy. I then removed the hall effect sensor from the forks and held it in my hand an tried passing a magnet quickly back and forth in front of it and again nothing. Anyone have any suggestions for me to try get this working ? The bike dosen't have to be running does it ? Can post some pics if it will help.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i had to be 1/6 +-, 1/8 max for mine to work... seemed the further away, the more it multiplied...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for answering Weasel, I tried every distance afterwords, from a barely a hair up to half inch, but no joy. Thats why I also tried holding the hall effect sensor in my hand and passing a magnet back and forth at various distanaces, but I never saw any movement on the speedo. I measured the power with dmm, and only get 4.75 volts on the pink wire, and negligible volts on the other two.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
it's been so long, i can't remember the color code...

for some reason pink and orange stick in my head...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I also had my magnet just stuck to the rotor. They never moved no matter how fast I went. If you can stick them closer to the axle then they are under less force as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts