Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 650 s model which I love the way it looks naked....so I have converted it. My question is what is a good way to mount the s type tach and speedo onto the bike? I have thought about making a braket that is held on in place by the clip on handle bar bolts, but have not really dove into making the mounting bracket. I want to use these guages to keep original mile documentation. Has any one done this or have any good ideas or reccomendations? I have ridden it without the guages, but not much. :-\
I am sure from all the stuff I have read on this site...you guys will have some ideas. Thanks in advance for the help.
Brett
 

·
BannedCampCounselor
Joined
·
9,911 Posts
Click the link in my sig.
I think i spent less than $3 mounting my gauges.
They are on really good, and it uses stock bolts/nuts.
Sure its ghetto, but Im too lazy at the moment to fab up nice brackets.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
I'm using naked gauges with SVS triple clamps. I drilled the upper triple clamp and bolted the cluster like stock naked. If you do that you need to make some spacers to put between the gauge brackets and the bottom of the triple clamp. I used 1/2" aluminum.
 
G

·
donniej said:
I did but I curious to what happens if you don't? Do the needles vibrate off or the servo motors self destruct?
all kind of stuff can happen,gauges dont like vibration.needle,wires breake....
 
G

·
donniej said:
I'm using naked gauges with SVS triple clamps.  I drilled the upper triple clamp and bolted the cluster like stock naked.  If you do that you need to make some spacers to put between the gauge brackets and the bottom of the triple clamp.  I used 1/2" aluminum. 
Hey Donnie -you got a pic of that?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
toddpnewton said:
Hey Donnie -you got a pic of that?
Only of the gauges loosely in place.  The pic doesn't show the holes.... but what I did was position the cluster bracket, mark the spots, drill the holes and then cut 2 square pieces of 1/2" aluminum and then drilled holes in them.  For bolts I used 1/4"20 stainless and using a fine file I removed the manufacturers markings off the bolt heads leaving a stock looking matte finish.  

I also hacked the tach off the cluster.

 
G

·
donniej said:
Only of the gauges loosely in place.  The pic doesn't show the holes.... but what I did was position the cluster bracket, mark the spots, drill the holes and then cut 2 square pieces of 1/2" aluminum and then drilled holes in them.  For bolts I used 1/4"20 stainless and using a fine file I removed the manufacturers markings off the bolt heads leaving a stock looking matte finish.  

I also hacked the tach off the cluster.
groovy - Thanks! I'm pickin' everyone's brain for idears on the best way to do mine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
TWF said:
you know so much about these bikes it kinda scares me.   ;)
I *really* wanted to do this when I put my bike together but didn't think it would work... and after building everything else I was pretty tired of working on it ;D
Can you post your latest findings? I'd really like to do this now that I know it works. Even if the tach won't work as is I might be able to wire up a frequency to voltage converter to directly drive the tach's servo motor....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
TWF said:
Just so others can try it (and so I don't lose it ;D )...

From SV650.org
K3 Naked Clock K1 Wiring

Pin number Wire colour Function/to Colour Pin number
1 Red/White Battery Battery Red 1
2 Orange/Green Ignition Live Ignition Live Orange/Green 2
3 Orange/Red Speed Sensor Speed Sensor Orange 3
4*** Brown/Black ECM Ignition Coil Black/Yellow 4
5 Yellow/Black Fuel Level Fuel Level B Light Green/Black 5*
6 Green/Yellow Oil Pressure Gauge Fuel Level A Red/Black 6
7 Empty NOTHING Oil Pressure Gauge Green/Yellow 7
8 Black/White Ground (Power) Ground (Power) Black/White 8
9 Orange/Green Ignition Live Clock Lights Grey 9**
10 Yellow High Beam High Beam Yellow 10
11 Black Turn Left Turn Left Black 11
12 Light Green Turn Right Turn Right Light Green 12
13 Pink/White Speed Sensor Neutral Switch Blue/Black 13
14*** Black/Green ECM Speed Sensor Pink 14
15 Blue/Black Neutral Switch Water Temp Switch Black/Green 15
16 Black/White Ground (Power) Ground (Signal) Black/Brown 16
 

·
BannedCampCounselor
Joined
·
9,911 Posts
TWF- i guess its time for me to start lookin for an 03 gauge set...
thats awesome that you got it working... is it completely functional as of yet?

and this guy needs to be a member of SVR so I can nominate his bike for SVOTM!!
 
G

·
donniej said:
you know so much about these bikes it kinda scares me. ;)
I *really* wanted to do this when I put my bike together but didn't think it would work... and after building everything else I was pretty tired of working on it ;D
Can you post your latest findings? I'd really like to do this now that I know it works. Even if the tach won't work as is I might be able to wire up a frequency to voltage converter to directly drive the tach's servo motor....
harness is mailed to Chris,he will plug it in and see.keep eye on tread.
here is what we doing now(actualy him),I know you are in to fabrications,you will like this
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148247
 
G

·
dackler said:
and this guy needs to be a member of SVR so I can nominate his bike for SVOTM!!
he is.barf is more friendly when it comes to this kind of stuff.easier for me to post pictures and nobody gets pissed off
;)
 
G

·
donniej said:
Just so others can try it (and so I don't lose it ;D )...
when we get done I will post all pins in order.first we have to make sure everything works and fix if something does not.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top