Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent three wonderful days home based in Franklin, North Carolina, sorry no pic's. Racked up 876 miles riding all kinds of twisty roads in three states. 8) Thank the good Lord who blessed us with blue skies, 58 degree lows and 82 degree highs the whole time. ;)This is one riding experience I'll never ever forget, being a flatlander and all. ;D
The Western North Carolina people are real biker friendly. They are very road courteous in there cars to all motorcyclist. Even the old folks standing on the sidewalk or people working in the there yards waved to us as we rode  by them. :)
In those three days my riding has improved 10 fold and really feel confident now on all types of twisty road surfaces. ;)
I would just like to say to anyone looking for a challenging mountain riding experience. I highly recommend the Great Smoky Mountains, Nantahala National Forest, Pisgah National Forest, and the Chattahoochee National Forest.
God Bless America!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, the mountains of Western North Carolina are one of the most beautiful riding areas in the country. We've had absolutely GORGEOUS weather here for the last week to ten days, and it's supposed to continue for the foreseeable future. Oh, the agony....  ;)

Steve

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sjarrell said:
Yep, the mountains of Western North Carolina are one of the most beautiful riding areas in the country. We've had absolutely GORGEOUS weather here for the last week to ten days, and it's supposed to continue for the foreseeable future. Oh, the agony....  ;)

Steve
Your roads were made for the SV650 motorcycle. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I've been going on vacation there for the past 6 years with my SV for 10 days in early May, I stay in Robbinsville. when I'm there, I try to ride 400±miles a day, although this past year I did a little dirty riding with the SV, some of my days were less miles, but I would guess that 20,000 of the 120k on my SV is riding within a 200 mile radius of Robbinsville, am I going back again ... yep ;D 8)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RandyO said:
I've been going on vacation there for the past 6 years with my SV for 10 days in early May, I stay in Robbinsville. when I'm there, I try to ride 400±miles a day, although this past year I did a little dirty riding with the SV, some of my days were less miles, but I would guess that 20,000 of the 120k on my SV is riding within a 200 mile radius of Robbinsville, am I going back again ... yep ;D 8)
I can really see how riding up in that area could really become addicting. ;D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I live about four hours from the mountains of western N.C. A couple of my co-workers and I head up there several weekends a year. I absolutely LOVE it up there! It's FANTASTIC! The only bad part about it is it makes riding around my home town seem downright BORING by comparison.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Poe said:
I live about four hours from the mountains of western N.C.  A couple of my co-workers and I head up there several weekends a year.  I absolutely LOVE it up there!  It's FANTASTIC!  The only bad part about it is it makes riding around my home town seem downright BORING by comparison.
Yep. I know what you mean. I have a home in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area). After coming up to this area (Hendersonville, just south of Asheville) a couple of times my wife and I bought a second home up here. She loves the mountains, I love riding in them :) I think I have more curves within 5 miles of my house here that there all in the entire state of Florida!  :D

Whoever designed the SV650 must have lived in this area, or somewhere just like it! :)

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
RandyO said:
Before you come back, you may want to pick up two books by Hawk Hagebak.... one's called Motorcycle Adventures in the Southern Appalachians - GA-TN-NC (ISBN 1-889596-10-8), and the other is Motorcycle Adventures in the Southern Appalachians Asheville, The Blue Ridge Parkway, and NC High Country (ISBN 1-889596-11-6). There is some overlap, but they're both fantastic.

They include not only virtually every scenic route in this area, but also great stops, history of certain areas, accomodations, etc. Hawk has personally ridden all these routes, and his insight is fun to read.

The books are +-$15 each, and you can find them at www.MilestonePress.com. Be forewarned... You'll want to move up here after reading them :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I got all the books & maps I need, thank you for suggesting, I've been on most of the good roads people write about, my latest exploration are roads that are more suitable for motards, Tatham Gap Rd between Robbinsville & Andrews, FR711 off Wayah Road, Pool Creek Road from War Woman Road to Rt 76 in Georgia, example

Unless of course, the books you recommend have Dualsport routes ?

I've been also looking at property to build a second home

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
my Delorme atlases have all the roads, it's just a matter of road condition that I can't determine from the maps I have, a roads gotta be pretty bad for me to turn around

1 - 11 of 11 Posts