Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a new set of rear rubber. I'm going to get an Avon AV46 because I've read that they last quite a while.
My question is do ya'll mount your own tires , or take it to the dealership and have them do it?
I've changed many a dirtbike tire  but never a street bike tire. I was wondering if they have to be balanced or   are they just a pain in the azz to do.

I've got tire spoons and the like and can do it myself. Just wondering if that is something that should be done at a dealer?
thanx

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you don't have the equipment, take your wheel off yourself and bring it to a tire shop with your new rubber. Lot's cheaper than a dealer, lot's less hassle than trying this yourself with just a couple of spoons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have to be balanced?

So you are saying take it to like "Goodyear" and they can do the tire dismount and mount for me on one of their mag wheel machines?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with Tony. Take the wheel off and take wheel and tire to the shop for mounting and balancing. Actually, I buy my tires at a local shop, and they mount and balance them for free if you bring in the wheel. Tire cost not much more than internet (incl shipping). Perhaps there's such a shop in your area? And yes, they should be balanced. And no, you can't go to Goodyear - need a motorcycle shop.

Bill K

K

·
0 Posts
i am pretty sure most car places dont have motorcycle wheel machines
take it to a bike dealer
yes it has to be balanced mount and balance should be about 30 bucks
thats what it cost me 25-30 bucks make sure they balance it though

·
Registered
551 Posts
i work at a car dealership... and was gonna use the car machines for mounting my new rubber. we have a upright balencer. i would stick-on weights...it this is a bad idea...someone please tell me.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Most car machines will work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts