Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed some Motrax signals front and rear and have already had a rear bulb go on me (less than 200 miles). I soldered and heatshrunk the connections but cannot tell if the lens is glued to the housing or not. Anyone else open these up before? Should I just chuck them and get some LED?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
No it's not glued. There is a little screw driver notch on the edge of the lens. Pry it open and you can get to the bulb. I tried to find a bulb when the one went out and had no luck. If you can find spare bulbs let me know the part #. I couldn't and I looked all over the place. So I called Cycle Gear, who I bought them from, and they sent me a set for free. I had them on a couple months. For $16 it is worth it to keep another set around.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Their lifespan's horrible... Even if you do replace the bulb, the plastics go brittle under UV, and the screws rust, and the reflectors dull, and generally speaking every single part disolves simultaneously. But they're cheap at least, when I used them I just considered them a disposable item, I went through a right rear about once every 1500-2000 miles. Even in these days of high quality far eastern manufacturing, some far eastern stuff is still classic crap :)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
No it's not glued. There is a little screw driver notch on the edge of the lens. Pry it open and you can get to the bulb. I tried to find a bulb when the one went out and had no luck. If you can find spare bulbs let me know the part #. I couldn't and I looked all over the place. So I called Cycle Gear, who I bought them from, and they sent me a set for free. I had them on a couple months. For $16 it is worth it to keep another set around.
+1. Anyone know where I can get just the bulb? Mine went out yesterday, and I foolishly stopped by Napa thinking it might be a 194 like everything else. WRONG.

Mine is labeled H21W and nothing in Napa even came close. The two little prongs that seat it into the socket are set 90* apart, vs 180* like everything I've seen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If anyone bought theirs from cycle gear they will exchange them for you at no charge. I was told that their policy is if you are not happy bring it back. I did take a pair of mine back and exchanged them bacause the inside housing was loose and causing a short.

·
Registered
290 Posts
yea, had to buy a few from cycle gear as backups cuz my right rear kept blowing. you get 2 bulbs and 2 spare lenses all for 15 bucks, its cheaper than trying to find the specialty bulb. trust me.

i did fix my problem by replacing the one indicator. i think i had it too tight, and was pulling the wires out of the bulb socket. dunno. but i havent had a bulb failure since.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
yea, had to buy a few from cycle gear as backups cuz my right rear kept blowing. you get 2 bulbs and 2 spare lenses all for 15 bucks, its cheaper than trying to find the specialty bulb. trust me.

i did fix my problem by replacing the one indicator. i think i had it too tight, and was pulling the wires out of the bulb socket. dunno. but i havent had a bulb failure since.
Yeah, no doubt. The spares are a good idea... plus, I have the same signals up front, only with clear lenses, so they'll finally get the amber treatment.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had the bulb pop after 3 years and went to cyclegear where i bought the signals and bought the bulbs for .75 cents each. Go for the .75 cents before the 15 dollar route first. I also tired to look for the bulbs online and the prices were way too expensive. Make sure you check the bulb inside before buying because mine was amber color. BTW they do have adapters at cyclegear that you just plug right in no soldering needed.

It may be too late but heres the link to the connectors:
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=7&L3=&L4=&item=MRX_ILH1-2PK_G

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I had the bulb pop after 3 years and went to cyclegear where i bought the signals and bought the bulbs for .75 cents each. Go for the .75 cents before the 15 dollar route first. I also tired to look for the bulbs online and the prices were way too expensive. Make sure you check the bulb inside before buying because mine was amber color. BTW they do have adapters at cyclegear that you just plug right in no soldering needed.

It may be too late but heres the link to the connectors:
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=7&L3=&L4=&item=MRX_ILH1-2PK_G
I would have to guess the bulbs are only available in the store. When I called trying to locate bulbs they just sent me a new set of signals for free. I'm not complaining!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts