Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mototote.com/

it's been discussed before, but i'm looking for opinions. i saw two of these in use at the last track day i did. i have negative storage space, so any kind of trailer isn't an option. this is small enough that it could be stored under my bed and used when needed.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Get a fold up trailer. I don't trust those things, the torsional strain on the hitch must be intense when you go over potholes or bumps.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Josh:
What's the tongue rating on Julie's truck? Unless it's 450+ LBS I wouldn't even consider it. You'd probably need to get heavier rear springs for the truck too.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
donniej said:
Josh:
What's the tongue rating on Julie's truck?  Unless it's 450+ LBS I wouldn't even consider it.  You'd probably need to get heavier rear springs for the truck too. 
i have to check the tongue rating on the truck. but as some of you have seen, with my garage the trailer option really isn't. unless i get a storage unit that accepts motorized vehicles

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the first one is a good deal - much cheaper than the tote.

maybe i'll just go that route, though it's a shame that i'll only be able to take 1 bike on it

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
stranger said:
the first one is a good deal - much cheaper than the tote.

maybe i'll just go that route, though it's a shame that i'll only be able to take 1 bike on it
If you moved to somewhere that real-estate didn't cost $1M per square foot, you could have a dual axle trailer, more bikes, more cars... and with what you'd save in cost of living you could afford all the toys you want! ;D

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
What about something like this? These guys want $500 and a class 3 or 4 hitch w/ 500 tongue wt, but I'm sure I've seen smaller, cheaper ones somewhere.
Not a good choice for track days unless you have a spare rear wheel (with tire) to swap at the track.

Otherwise that would be a good choice.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy an imitation mototote. My buddy recently bought one and it is a POS. No bracing at all, it looked like it would buckle at the first railroad crossing. Giant POS and I can't believe he's trying to tour North America with it. A real mototote I'd consider for 3-4 hour trips once or twice a year (trackdays).

How about a cheap 2WD truck?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
cool, use your motorcycle like a bumper. it all depends on how well it's made. if it's fabbed with 1/4" steel and lots of bracing, it'll hold just fine (assuming your car will hold it). if it's thinner or god forbid sheet metal, fuhgedahboudit and don't trust it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
troy - just curious. why did you skip the bag?

the stinger is nice, but way too expensive - it better come with a reach around or something.

i think i'm going to go with the cheap harborfreight. it'll be more secure towing the bike and should lay up flat against the wall to solve my storage problem.

only problem i'll have it driving it out of town on my local streets.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
evilbologna said:
Mini-van, its the s**t.
if i had room for another car, i'd serisouly contemplate a beater minivan, gut it and set it up to park the bike inside. maybe a fold out bed that rotates and a disco light that comes down from the ceiling too

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
stranger said:
only problem i'll have it driving it out of town on my local streets.
You'll be surprised... I use my HF 4X8 trailer around Philly all the time, it's really not bad at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts