Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased the Mototeck undertail from Kneedraggers.com and thought I would do a review seeing how many undertail and fender eliminator posts seem to appear here.

I decided to purchase this undertail because I wanted to get rid of the mudflap shovel but also I wanted to stay away from the bland fender eliminators.  I choose this product over the popular hotbodies undertail because I was not very impressed with the light output from the blinkers and also the color match always seemed to be off a little on almost every bike I saw this kit on. 

Summary= Great product, kinda pricey( 209.00 at kneedraggers.com), good alternative to hotbodies, super bright flushmounts

CONS= Plate mount will be torn off if you mount it where I have it in the pics. Side mount the plate or hide it up under the shock.

Things I liked...
-Very Bright flushmounts visible from the sides and from some front on bike angles
-Made out of thick abs plastic (stuff seems really durable)
-Perfect paint match and the paint appears that it will hold up well to rock chips (I had to drill into the thing and no paint flaked off)
-Thorough Step by step instructions with pictures available on mototeck's website (anyone can do this install)
-License plate bracket included (have to drill three small holes in the bottom of the undertail)
-super tiny but really bright license plate illumination light

The brightness of the blinkers and the location of the plate were the real selling points on this undertail for me.  I think I draw enough attention just riding a bike that the last thing I need is to get a fix it ticket because my plate is tucked to far back under my tail.  I dont have photoshop and I just snapped a couple pics without my plate on but the little light lights up the plate very well at night.  Overall Im very happy with this product and I think that the 209.00 price tag I payed was worth it.  Enough said here are some pics...

(This pic was taken with the hazards on)

Notice that the lights hit the street behind my bike, when flashing.  Very visible from the sides of the bike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Mototeck undertail review (56K beware)

Oh the spots on the undertail at night is just a little mud. ;) Now I have one more thing to wipe down on the bike after a ride

·
Registered
81 Posts

looks awesome. Iseen Mototeck at our annual m/c show. product looked very good but you always wonder about fit. yours looks great.
Les

·
Registered
52 Posts

I have the same undertail......the license plate bracket is flawed because if you put it where they say, when your rear suspension bottoms out your tire will smash into your license plate.....it really sucks

So if you haven't already, either move the license plate farther rearward or bend the license plate up

EDIT: but I do agree with the good things you posted about, the colour matching is very good and the lights are nice and bright

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah i forgot to post about that so Im glad you reminded me! I noticed that the first thing when I sat on it. All I did was put my license plate in a vise and bent it up at an angle and with my and my girlfriend on it its fine now. But that is a good point and definantly a flaw in the design. You think they would of thought of that

·
Premium Member
477 Posts

Sorry to thread-jack, but can you tell me about your headlight assembly. More pics maybe too??

r

·
Registered
684 Posts

very nice looking i was thinking of getting one myself but it is only listed for the s model. will it be the same?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Im not sure! I think the rears of the s and naked are the same. From pics I cant tell the difference but I am almost positive it would fit fine. Anyone know this answer for sure?

·
Registered
571 Posts

looks great. but i was about to question the same thing about the plate that kevbo posted. definitely a design flaw.

gotalf - the undertails are the same for s and naked models. just make sure you get the right year. an '03 undertail will be slightly different from '04+ due to the subframe change.

·
Registered
684 Posts

sweet thanks i will order one then. mines blue so im not copying but i do give credit to the good looks for freepunk. i was gonna go with the hotbodies but free punks pics sold me for sure on those signals!

·
Registered
151 Posts

Kevbo said:
I have the same undertail......the license plate bracket is flawed because if you put it where they say, when your rear suspension bottoms out your tire will smash into your license plate.....it really sucks

So if you haven't already, either move the license plate farther rearward or bend the license plate up

EDIT: but I do agree with the good things you posted about, the colour matching is very good and the lights are nice and bright
+1. I have the same undertail. Lost my plate in a week. Also the plastic snaps and tag mount are not very durable. Now using a metal tag mount and flush-mount bolts all the way through the storage compartment wall. But yeah, great lights, good look.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

that's a really really nice undertail...those blinkers are blinding! very trick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Mototeck undertail review (56K beware)*UPDATE*

Yeah lost my plate just recently too. So anyone getting this undertail just side mount it our hide the plate up by the rear shock cause any rider or weight on the back will RIP IT OFF!!! but other then that I like it a lot and would still buy it just mount the plate somewhere else

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For anyone who has already mounted the plate there then my suggestion would be a stiffer rear shock. :) I took my whole undertail off bondoed it and sprayed it to plug the 3 little holes and it looks as good as new so thats also a option too for anyone who already mounted it in the stock holes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
call them first. they discontinued them i belive. i had a hard time finding one a year ago

1 - 18 of 18 Posts