Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told by a buddy (who rides a ninja 650r, and is a mech. engineer) that R&G's would probably be safer for the frame in specific kinds of accidents, and that if I could afford it, to dump the cash. No I'm sure the motosliders guys are gonna come in here and dispute, but is there any unbiased thoughts floating around out there?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've been told by a buddy (who rides a ninja 650r, and is a mech. engineer) that R&G's would probably be safer for the frame in specific kinds of accidents, and that if I could afford it, to dump the cash. No I'm sure the motosliders guys are gonna come in here and dispute, but is there any unbiased thoughts floating around out there?
Picking a product based on how it will perform in CERTAIN types of accidents is ridiculous. You're no fortune teller and neither is your friend. Each frame slider setup displaces the force of impact through 2 points in the frame. You won't know until it happens so you have to rely on people's experiences with each product. I have heard both hold up well and there is no official test to gauge their performance side-by-side. R&G's go for about $150. Motosliders $130. If $20 gives you the piece of mind that your friend has instilled in you, then splurge the dough.

*edit: you are talking about the frame sliders for the full faired versions right?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking for naked (see I'm riding a naked :p). And the main argument he made, was that the R&G's have two contact points with the frame by way of the installation bracket, where as the M1's only have one contact (with the bolt).

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Contact point aside when you hit the ground there is only one contact point for the slider. The mounting point is moot argument as that slider has only ONE bolt that attaches it to the bar that's mounted to the bike. So I don't see any major benefit to that extra plate with it's two extra bolts when like the Motoslider the main force is going to be along the ONE bolt for both that attaches the slider to the bike.

R&G slider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was talking for naked (see I'm riding a naked :p). And the main argument he made, was that the R&G's have two contact points with the frame by way of the installation bracket, where as the M1's only have one contact (with the bolt).
Look at it like this, you have 2 people driving in a car, both wearing seat belts, one has the shoulder belt one doesn't. just because one person has a shoulder belt does not guarantee that he will fare better in a crash over the passenger with just a lap belt. It all depends on the crash. the same would thinking would apply with the frame sliders. I sell and use Nates sliders, I have yet to crash on them, but I've seen enough photos that I'm convince they would do well in a crash......again depending on the crash.
Buy what you think is best, listen to all sides and then make your choice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
just get moto-sliders man. I am not a speaker for them, it is purely coincedence that I own a set. However everyone speaks extremely high of them and I for one have seen many many layed down bikes where the motoslider saved from some serious damage. If they had these kinds of products available wehn I totalled my gsxr it would have been salvagable imho

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on Nexus' post. So what you were saying is that the R&G still only connects to the bike via ONE bolt? I mean, if that's the case, it would seem as if there's absolutely no benefit. I could see pressure being spread across two bolts being more suitable, but if that's not the case....

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If you're talking about a naked bike then I think it could be said the Motosliders have had there share of tests thanks to all the test pilots out there. I'm not so sure one has an advantage over the other as they are both very well constructed systems that most importantly utilize high grade materials in their manufacture.

As for sliders for full faired bikes? Jury's gotta be out on that one 'cuz the Motosliders haven't seen the light of day aside from maybe a few pair finally on the street. I'm sure they are quite substantial but the proof's in the pudding and time will tell. My money is on the R&G's and I had a chance to prove it myself. 2 Deer impact at about 50 and accelerating. Myself and the R&G had a very violent impact with the pavement and left 58.5' of Delrin skid from initial road impact till a stop. Impeccable performance of the R&G. Only rashed a right mirror, barend, a bit of the upper, and a new Yosh Can. The Deer did the deed to my upper frame stay. I walked away with destroyed gear a separated shoulder and hip after staying connected to the bike. The R&G lost about 3/8" of length.

Your results may vary as the dynamics of every crash is different.

My money stays with R&G for now.

·
Vendor
9,954 Posts
MotoSliders vs. R&G?

+1 on Nexus' post. So what you were saying is that the R&G still only connects to the bike via ONE bolt? I mean, if that's the case, it would seem as if there's absolutely no benefit. I could see pressure being spread across two bolts being more suitable, but if that's not the case....

:) That is not what was said, The R&G are connected to two bolts, so in the new MotoSliders design,

However you have a naked version of the SV650, so your needs are not the same as those with full fairings,

In your case, the through bolt design of the Standard version of the MotoSliders is the one for you,

Much less expensive than R&G, for your application, and just as good protection,

I have many customers using the MotoSliders, and have yet to have one complain that they did not perform as advertised,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
399 Posts
For the amount of praise the Motoslider have gotten, its a no brainer.

Would the Motosliders for the OEM lowers have been available last year, I would have gotten those.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Motosliders get high praise from people on this site. R&G gets high praise from various online and print sources (MSN, Bike & T.W.O. Magazines, etc.) Motorsliders cost about $80 after shipping. R&Gs cost about $125 after shipping (I haven't found a US retailer).

No one here is doing any scientific tests so any information you find is only going to be anecdotal. There is some scientific evidence that R&Gs work well, but there is a ton of anecdotal evidence that motosliders work just as well. I really think it comes down to personal taste and whether or not you are willing to spend money for the look of the R&Gs. Both work well. Get what you like better. Pick one and go with it.

I tell you one thing, though. I wouldn't go with any other brands.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Motosliders get high praise from people on this site. R&G gets high praise from various online and print sources (MSN, Bike & T.W.O. Magazines, etc.) Motorsliders cost about $80 after shipping. R&Gs cost about $125 after shipping (I haven't found a US retailer).
However the people on here use them and crash them on SV only. Did those mags test them on SVs or are they talking about the protection for a GSXR or ZX-6 or CBR600RR??

WE have crash tested Motorsliders, Motosliders were made specifically for SV650s and that is why they are so highly recommended by SV owners. I can't see the need to spend more money for a product that hasn't been as crash tested in the real world as Nate's have on some hope that it works as well on the SV650. But it's your $500 gas tank if it doesn't.

:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm no physicist, but If my memory from my mechanics course serves me well enough having those two mounting bolts on the R&G's effectively splits the forces dissipated through those frame mounting bolts in two, therefore reducing the stress through those bolts. The point that must be considered is the single bolt that goes in to the delrin slider. It depends on the grade of the bolt used. In this situation, I think you'd be fine with either design. the question is which one is more aesthetically pleasing to you? But like everyone else has said, every crash is different and you can't just generalize them all and apply the same theory to all the sliders on the market.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I'm no physicist, but If my memory from my mechanics course serves me well enough having those two mounting bolts on the R&G's effectively splits the forces dissipated through those frame mounting bolts in two, therefore reducing the stress through those bolts. The point that must be considered is the single bolt that goes in to the delrin slider. It depends on the grade of the bolt used. In this situation, I think you'd be fine with either design. the question is which one is more aesthetically pleasing to you? But like everyone else has said, every crash is different and you can't just generalize them all and apply the same theory to all the sliders on the market.
The slider is to keep the bike itself from hitting the ground and grinding paint and metal away as it slides down the road after a crash. But again the slider attaches to the R&G plate with ONE bolt just like the Motoslider.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I understand that it is a single bolt and i understand that it is meant to protect the plastics but if the bolt breaks the plastics will not be protected hence my concern about the strength of the mounting system.

With the R&G style there is effectively three stress points for the forces from the crash to be dissipated through, instead of just one stress point like the motosliders. This allows the stresses to be distributed instead of just having all the stress through one point. Like I said, it depends on the grade of the hardware how strong they are. I'm sure most of the company's who manufacture frame sliders have done some sort of research in to the strengths of the hardware. If the proper slider material is used such as delrin, I can't imagine there is really that large of stress being applied to any of the hardware because the delrin's job is to deform before the bolt reaches it's maximum stress. SO, I feel it's more a case of aesthetics and personal preference. Just make sure you're buying delrin sliders.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The slider is to keep the bike itself from hitting the ground and grinding paint and metal away as it slides down the road after a crash. But again the slider attaches to the R&G plate with ONE bolt just like the Motoslider.
Yes, but if that ONE bolt has not failed, the load is being distributed to the 2 contact points as well. As mentioned above, the reduction in friction by the Delrin is further reducing the load on the entire system.

I know when I did my near 60' slide, it was pretty darned smooth sailing for the most part. It was the sudden impact that hurt like a Mo Fo.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I understand that it is a single bolt and i understand that it is meant to protect the plastics but if the bolt breaks the plastics will not be protected hence my concern about the strength of the mounting system.

With the R&G style there is effectively three stress points for the forces from the crash to be dissipated through, instead of just one stress point like the motosliders. This allows the stresses to be distributed instead of just having all the stress through one point.
And as of today I've heard of not a single one motoslider snapping or breaking in a crash. Or of one failing to do what it was made to do. The slider isn't to protect the frame, it protects the body work. These aren't stunt cages.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nexus-I never implied that it was designed to protect the frame. My purpose in analyzing the strength of the mounting system to the frame is to determine if the sliders will stay attached to the frame so that it CAN protect the plastics.

I'm not trying to knock the motosliders, I own a set myself and have no complaints (I haven't tested them yet either;)) I would recommend them to anyone. I'm just offering a comparison between the two styles of sliders. One uses a single through bolt, one uses a 2-bolt bracket. There is going to be a difference in the mechanics of these two products when they are involved in a crash. That's all I'm trying to outline.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Contact point aside when you hit the ground there is only one contact point for the slider. The mounting point is moot argument as that slider has only ONE bolt that attaches it to the bar that's mounted to the bike. So I don't see any major benefit to that extra plate with it's two extra bolts when like the Motoslider the main force is going to be along the ONE bolt for both that attaches the slider to the bike.

R&G slider.
This.

Plus you now have 3 mounting points that can fail in a crash instead of just one. I think less is definitely better in this case. I haven't heard of a motoslider breaking off in a crash. That mounting bolt is pretty stout and goes through the frame and engine to the other side of the bike.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts