Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my motosliders in today...fit and finish is great, install was super easy. my stock bolt came off much easier than I anticipated (or I'm stronger than I thought). I had to put a little muscle on my 1/2" ratchet, but not bad at all.

The stock motor mount bolt I removed was badly corroded. Not eating into the bolt yet, not making the bolt weaker yet, but more than I would have thought. My bike is only about 6 months old. The bolt had a moderate amount of brown rust, and LOTS of white powdery corrosion. I dont get it...I rarely ride in the rain, I'm not near the coast, and there's no snow here.

Do you guys think this is something I should worry about? or is it pretty common to see this bolt corroded like this? of course, I used the new bolt nate sent...but should I worry about taking it off and checking it for corrosion in a couple of months?

thought I'd ask you guys first...I guess I'll email nate and ask if he knows anything if no one here does.

thanks!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hopefully mine will be waiting for me when I get home from work and I'll let you know what I find

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
post a pic of your bolt and we'll give you an opinion. pretty tough to say anything based on the description "moderate brown rust". bolts can become rusty and it's not usually a problem. one person's "moderate" can be another person's "light" can be another person's "very heavy".

·
Registered
476 Posts
mine was like you described, but that was after about a year of ownership and i rode a lot in the rain/snow

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
all the gen1's I've pulled apart have been just like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're OCD like that, you can paint the bolt. ;D

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nah, donnie, I'm not OCD  ;D

just worried that if it has that much corrosion already, what's it gonna look like in 2 years?  and will it eventually corrode enough to compromise the strength of the bolt?

thanks for your reply, you helped set my mind at ease.

T

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Funny thing about oxidation, it blocks further oxidation by providing a barrier between the air and fresh metal. The rate of corrosion declines over time. Unless there's something weird going on like battery acid spray or continually getting wet.
If it bugs you, strip it (get all the old crap off) and coat it. If not, just rub off all that funk with a brush then wipe a little oil all over it with a rag.

J

·
0 Posts
Just got my Motosliders today...and of course I had to put them on.  My bolt was spotless, bike is about 14 months old.  On a side note...did you guys need a 19mm deep socket for install?  My socket bottomed out and I had to use a deep socket 3/4 that I had to finish the job. ::)

'04 Blue SV650...

·
Registered
46 Posts
My bolt was also spotless ( my bike was 2 days old when I installed them though ) thats weird!

·
Vendor
966 Posts
It almost looks to me like a failure of the zinc-plating. (I believe the stock bolts have a light zinc coating on them)

Just with all the whitish powdery stuff, it almost looks more like a problem with the plating not bonding right, and then the bolt can rust a bit.

I've gotten some zinc plated bolts for swingarm sliders that looked very much like that still in the bag. They were shipped from Germany about a month before I got them from my supplier. I think that when there's something on the bolt still the plating process has problems, and you get this soon therafter.

Not sure though, but that's my guess.

It happens, and sometimes plating problems don't jump out at you until they've corroded some. 

On the socket issue, I've heard some that had needed deep sockets, and some that haven't. Haven't put it as a requirement yet as I need to do further investigation to find why there's variation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts