Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I could build something similar for under 200.00 but want some input.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dumb newbie question time: can this hurt the kickstand? I ask because turning my bike around (something I have to do every time I put the bike back into the garage) is a royal pain. Truly Austin Powers golf cart-esque.

Yet I don't want to damage anything on the bike, least of all the kickstand.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
My BMW had a center stand and I use to lean it over a bit and just spin it 180 and drive straight out the garage :)

Did that for 20 years and the center stand was still fine.

The SV I use reverse ... my 2 flat feet :)

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
If the kickstand will support bike and rider for around 600 lbs, then will it not support 400 lbs? Doesn't make sense.
Norm
Yes it does. The kickstand was not designed to support a bike and rider. It was designed to keep the bike from falling over ; AND
the geometry (leverage) of the loading force changes with pitch; AND
Dynamic loads > static loads.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I try to never sit on a bike and expect the kickstand to hold me and the bike. I just don't think it was meant for that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Same here. But I,ve searched to find collapsing side stand from any make and could not find any.

With US legalities you know Suzuki built a side side stand to handle two day 200 lbs ,mericans.

Pivot away!

Or else get a center stand. :)

Norm

I try to never sit on a bike and expect the kickstand to hold me and the bike. I just don't think it was meant for that.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
If you have enough room to put those contraptions in front of your bike, roll it on, and turn it around, shouldn't you also have enough room to do a ~5 point U turn? What about going backwards until space opens up.

A lot of money for a specialized task and a lot of dead metal to store all other times that you're not using it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts