Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving soon and pulling my 350 ZR on a trailer via a U-haul and I have no room for the Motorcycle other than inside of the Uhaul.  My question is:

What tie downs do I use?  Do I just rent them from Uhaul?  I don't want the bike to get damaged during transport.  Thanks for any replies. I found this on their website, thoughts?

http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=363
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
ZMax650S said:
I will be moving soon and pulling my 350 ZR on a trailer via a U-haul and I have no room for the Motorcycle other than inside of the Uhaul.  My question is:

What tie downs do I use?  Do I just rent them from Uhaul?  I don't want the bike to get damaged during transport.  Thanks for any replies.  I found this on their website, thoughts?

http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=363
Those are the exact same tie-downs I've used twice without incident while trailering the bike to the track. Use 4 of them (2 in the front and 2 out back) and you should be set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Ditto to nd4spd. Those are some of the better ones for the job. Always make sure they are ratchet type, and have some sort of coating over the steel hooks. Also, I prefer the 10'-12' long ones because you never know when you will need to tie down something other than your motorcycle and need them to be longer than 6'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
use a soft tie looped over/around the forks @ the lower triple - this will allow the hook to latch on without risking harm to the bike - not to mention saving your plastics...

and don't crank down to hard on the tie downs... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,820 Posts
schultzboy said:
when trailering my bike i use something very similar to this along with ratchet straps.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=2197&department=645&Division=6

but i'm pretty sure that transporting a bike inside a u-haul is not allowed if they find out. i don't know what they could do other than not rent it to you, but better not to let it slip.
+1, Like I said, Canyon Dancer and tie downs ..

This is the first time I ever heard about that UHaul rule of no bikes in trailer or trucks ...
 

·
Iron Butt Moderator
Joined
·
9,271 Posts
I have 2 sets of 4 1500lbs ratcheting tie downs to haul. Got each from menards or homedepot for $20/set of 4. If you get that orange bike trailer from uhaul, try to put 4 straps on the bike because there is no suspension on the trailer and your bike will bounce if not anchored. I rented the u-haul bike trailer at least 3 times, it works great, nice low loading ramp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,244 Posts
schultzboy said:
when trailering my bike i use something very similar to this along with ratchet straps.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=2197&department=645&Division=6

but i'm pretty sure that transporting a bike inside a u-haul is not allowed if they find out. i don't know what they could do other than not rent it to you, but better not to let it slip.
Schultzboy speaks the truth. DO NOT TELL THEM YOU'RE HAULING A MOTORCYCLE IN THE TRUCK!!!

When Fatass wrecked last year, we tried to call uhaul to rent a truck to get him home (we were about 3 hours from home). I accidentally slipped up and told them we wanted to move a motorcycle, and they said that was not permitted. They didn't have a truck for us anyways, but still. Don't tell them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Currently said:
Canyon Dancer + tiedowns
+1

those will keep the tie downs from rubbing against your fairing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I would hit up Lowes or Home Depot. They sell a set of 4 for around $10-$15 (ratchet style). They're great to secure the bike. I bought a set the day I bought my bike and hauled it back in a trailer.

The key is to use tie downs on both sides of the bike (left & right side of the bike) and have them in the front and back and tighten up both sides equally so the bike doesn't sway. you might have a tough time finding anchors/hooks for the tie downs inside the U-Haul truck...assuming it's going to be filled with your stuff as well as well as your bike. Good luck with the move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Currently said:
+1,  Like I said, Canyon Dancer and tie downs ..

This is the first time I ever heard about that UHaul rule of no bikes in trailer or trucks ...
i think you'd be alright as long as you drain all the fluids out of it, the thing that Uhaul and any other moving/hauling company is worried about is Hazmat, which the oil, coolant and gas especially is considered, you'd probably be fine not telling them but i suppose there is always the off chance of them somehow finding out, if you're going to do it, might as well drain it all anyway

but about the tie downs, those handle bar straps are awesome, and with those you only need two straps, they hold the bike great
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top