Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2009/05/motorcycle-smog-check-proposed-for-california.html

Cars do it. Trucks do it. And now the state of California may require motorcycles to do it too. Biennial smog checks would be required for motorcycles manufactured in the 2000 model year and later under a bill making its way through the California Legislature.
Introduced in late February, Senate Bill 435 targets bikes with illegally modified exhaust systems and would go into effect in 2012 if passed and signed by the governor.
In pursuing bikes of 280 cc and above made in the 2000 model year and beyond, SB 435 attempts to home in on the size of motorcycle that is more likely to have a modified exhaust system, and an era of bikes equipped with catalytic converters. Motorcycles that employ catalytic converters are more reliant on them to reduce emissions and are at greater risk of becoming gross polluters when those systems are removed.
A 2008 study of after-market activity by the ARB, however, found that 85% of motorcycles 280 cc and larger had modified exhausts. “Most” of those systems, said Cackette, were illegal.

Not all modified exhausts are illegal; some comply with the state emissions requirements that allow particular makes and models to be sold in the state. But many modified exhausts remove the bikes’ catalytic converters, causing them to emit twice the legal limit of hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen.

“Motorcyclists perhaps don’t realize that those catalytic converters are absolutely critical to improving our air quality,” said state Sen. Fran Pavley, author of SB 435.
I wonder how this will affect SV owners since the SV doesn't have a catalytic converter? Technically, a modified system vs stock system should yield the same smog results.

Unless I'm missing something and CA SVs do have cats...

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts

·
Banned
1,304 Posts
they cant bite me. ill buy a butt load of older same model bikes to keep the same type running so i dont have to do smog tests. well at least until i have money for a brandnew gsxf

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Mine has an O2 sensor but no catalytic converter. The only thing I changed was the addition of an M4 slip on which just make it louder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.