Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you read? What's the best motorcycle publication? Which is better, Cycleworld or SportRider? Why are the British mags so much better?

Post your thoughts, comments, and opinions on Motorcycle magazines here. I've been on the edge of subscribing for a while. It's cheap, I know, but I just can't bring myself to pay $10 for a year of crap from CycleWorld or SportRider. I've seen BIKE in the stores, but it's $10 for one magazine. I'd really like to get a subscription, but I haven't sold myself on it yet.

·
Registered
476 Posts
What do you read?
 anything i can get my hands on
What's the best motorcycle publication?
bike
Which is better, Cycleworld or SportRider?
i hate them both equally
Why are the British mags so much better?
big pictures, glossy formats.  also, they seem to write about what they want.  american mags seem to regurgitate factory press releases.  each month all the american mags write about the same bikes.  

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't think the british mags are better, they cater MUCH more towards squidly behavior. I think that's why they are so popluar. Personally I susbscribe to Sport Rider, Motocyclist, and TWO. I also pick up Roadracing World and Roadracer X quite often, but haven't subscribed yet. With the exception of too damn many advertisements I think they all have some decent writing in them.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
BTW the comment about the mags all seeming to write about the same bikes is pretty much true. But considering that its market driven and about pretty much only sportbikes, I wouldnt really expect anything different.

One thing I do like about the british mags though. They write about older bikes frequently, and about touring on sportbikes, something a lot of us do.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Novadesigns said:
One thing I do like about the british mags though. They write about older bikes frequently, and about touring on sportbikes, something a lot of us do.
good point, i agree

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think another reason they tend to write about the same bikes (at the same time) is because the editors from each mag are invited to press releases/new product rollouts at the same time.

I agree with Benda, the US magazines are slightly less bland versions of press releases.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A couple you don't have on your list that are good,rider and motorcycle consumer news.

·
Registered
667 Posts
What about Easyriders?

:eek: Just kidding ::)

I read Cycle World, because it was the first one I bought when I was in H.S. and decided I liked bikes. I like the format, but recently it has been lacking for me. The last issue was total crap IMHO

·
Registered
276 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
Oh yeah, can anyone give me the website for BIKE magazine? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
They dont have one, unfortunately. Two Wheels Only does, however.

http://www.two.tv

Now, personally, I *love* the british bike mags. The writing is much higher quality, the advertising is less intrusive, the content is more valuable and interesting, and they cover all aspects of biking, not just comparos of different bikes. Also, they tend to be more focused on real world street riding. You know, places to go, things to do, and ways to use your bike in real life. Cant beat that. Plus, *ahem* a few of them have cute girls on hot bikes in the middle of the magazine. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Also, Motorcycle Online ( http://www.motorcycle.com ) is a great site. Definitely worth the 12 bucks a year.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Here's a magazine that will be doing a photo shoot and article on my bike in a few months. They cater to everybody. Their magazine is devided into three sections. V-twins, Metrics, and Sportbikes. I told the guys at the mag that they are gonna have a problem with me cause I fit into all three catergories. ;D

V

·
0 Posts
I scribe to Sport Rider, Motorcyclist and MCN. I dropped Cycle World, but I did enjoy the articles by Peter Egan. He's all they got going for them IMO.

MCN is really good, they do some good product testing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
eisenfaust said:
Now, personally, I *love* the british bike mags. The writing is much higher quality, the advertising is less intrusive, the content is more valuable and interesting, and they cover all aspects of biking, not just comparos of different bikes. Also, they tend to be more focused on real world street riding. You know, places to go, things to do, and ways to use your bike in real life. Cant beat that. Plus, *ahem* a few of them have cute girls on hot bikes in the middle of the magazine. 
+1 for the writing... I find them much more enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Jared McDonley said:
+1 for the writing... I find them much more enjoyable.
+1   
Depending on what is covered i either pick up Bike or TWO.   I subscribe to the American mainstream moto-mags (mostly for my morning constitutional on the toilet) but i prefer the British publications--better writing and photos.   It would be cool to see an American mag. emulate the same format...i think it would do well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I read a lot of photography magazines and the british ones are better as well. More honest opinions, more practical info. and sometime even some boobies. :eek:

·
Registered
359 Posts
ribbon_cable said:
I read a lot of photography magazines and the British ones are better as well. More honest opinions, more practical info. and sometime even some boobies. :eek:
Hey man, you know they have web sites for that right? ???

Just messing... I seem to only like the British photography books when it comes to PS... Seems they have the best write-ups.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
SportRider is my fav of the list... cheap price and good info and interesting articles.. which reminds me I need to resub

I had a Superbike mag from UK I got at book store for $8. It had the absolute best layout, design and photography of any bike magazine i have seen yet. Only thing is subscription here in US is outrageous though... think it was over $100.

Also, another not on list that I love is RoadRunner magazine... nice big pics... interesting reads based on riding all over the world but mostly all over the US with tank maps of the routes they took and good reviews. I actaully keep these mags for future ride ideas and such.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Since Dan Walsh's contributions got spotty, I'd choose TWO over Bike any day. And Streetfighters too.

Hmm. Seems like there's a lot of people rating the UK mags but not too happy with availability and price... Wonder if I could do it cheaper than their subs?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Northwind said:
Since Dan Walsh's contributions got spotty, I'd choose TWO over Bike any day. And Streetfighters too.

Hmm. Seems like there's a lot of people rating the UK mags but not too happy with availability and price... Wonder if I could do it cheaper than their subs?
will you take the time to convert british units to american? actually, the only thing i struggle with is the exchange rate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts