Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday this guy ran into the back of an ambulance. Now they're making a big stink that he was wearing headphones and that was part of the reason he crashed into it. At the bottom are a couple responses.

http://www.kirotv.com/video/19625386/index.html

Motorcycle Slams Into Ambulance Responding To Crash

Posted: 7:10 am PDT June 1, 2009Updated: 1:50 pm PDT June 1, 2009
SEATTLE -- An ambulance responding to a multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 5 in north Seattle was struck by a motorcycle, causing lanes in both directions to be blocked Monday morning.

SLIDESHOW: Crashes Tie Up I-5 Commute
VIDEO: Distracted Motorcyclist Crashes Into Ambulance, Troopers Say

The Washington State Patrol and American Medical Response said one of the medics was about to open the back door when the motorcycle slammed into the back of the unit on northbound I-5 at 117th Avenue Northeast near Northgate Mall shortly after 7 a.m. Monday.

The ambulance had responded to a six-vehicle crash that occurred in the southbound lanes at 6:41 a.m. and parked in the northbound high occupancy vehicle lane. Authorities said the motorcyclist should have seen the ambulance because its emergency lights were flashing.

Just before the crash, a state trooper investigating another incident saw the motorcyclist gawking at the original collisions.

Police said the motorcyclist was probably looking at the crash in the southbound lanes when he slammed into the ambulance in the northbound lane. Officials said he was also wearing earphones plugged into an iPod.

The 29-year-old motorcyclist was talking and moving following the crash. Troopers said a full-faced helmet likely saved his life.

The two left lanes of southbound Interstate 5 were blocked from the original multi-vehicle crash during the morning commute. They reopened shortly before 8 a.m.

The left lanes of I-5 continued to be blocked at the same location in the northbound direction for several hours.

Traffic was backed up about 7 miles southbound. The northbound backup was about a mile long.

A WSDOT Incident Response team, and fire, aid and the Washington State Patrol personnel responded at the scene.

Copyright 2009 by KIROTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Email ››
Print ››
digg
newsvine
del.icio.us
facebook
reddit
iSpot
The following are comments from our users. This is not content created by KIROTV.com.
By posting your comments you agree to accept the Terms of Use

Add your comment:
Register or log in here:
(Log in to add a comment)
2 Comments

Ratcraft: The ambulance according to the article was not in the middle of the road it was in the northbound high occupancy vehicle lane i.e carpool lane. This is a common practice in bad accidents. It's better than the ambulance fighting a north bound backup and then a 7 mile south bound back up south bound to get to the scene. especially when people lives depend on there immediate response. What was stupid was the motorcycle rider not paying attention to his lane and gwacking at the accident. Also wearing a Ipod was not very wise.

Inappropriate
Jun. 1, 2009 10:24pm PDT | from MudMn2
What about the motorcyclists wearing head phones and not paying attention?

Inappropriate
Jun. 1, 2009 5:51pm PDT | from pensguy

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Target fixation ...

Target fixation is a process by which the brain is focused so intently on an observed object that awareness of other obstacles or hazards can diminish. Also, in an avoidance scenario, the observer can become so fixated on the target that they will forget to take the necessary action to avoid it, thus colliding with the object.
This is a common issue for motorcyclists and mountain bikers. A motorcycle or bicycle will tend to go where the rider is looking; if the rider is overly focused on an obstacle, the cycle can collide with that object simply because of the rider's focus on it, even though the rider is trying to avoid it.
The term "target fixation" may have been borrowed from World War II fighter pilots, who spoke of a tendency to want to fly into targets during a strafing run. For instance, it is believed that a previous head injury to Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron, caused the famed flying ace to develop that process that caused him to disregard proper caution and become an easy target for Allied forces to fatally bring him down.
Target fixation may also refer to a phenomenon where a skydiver may forget to pull the ripcord because he or she is so focused on the landing area.[1]

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Well..of all things to hit...thats probably one best one to survive after...

Kinda like having a heart attack in the cardiaology center of the hospital...kudos to him for being efficient...lol

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
+1 RD350

Thats exactly what I was going to say (that it was target fixation.)
By the time some people realize they are focused on something it can sometimes be too late for them to react.
In most situations, simply reacting can save you.

I dont think it was the headphones at all, simply that the rider was paying too much attention to the ambulance & went into it before he could react.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from my understandings they gave him a ticket for having the headphones on.

·
very big dumb
9,056 Posts
my girlfriend is an EMT. she's had a few similar incidents. the problem becomes that now they need MORE ambulances and the one involved in the accident becomes unusable (even if it's perfectly fine, it must wait for police to clear it). So no only did douchebag require an aditional bus to run out and get him, but also, he prevented the original ambulance from doing its job.
would have sucked to be injured in the original accident.

oh yeah, having ridden with headphones, i can definately say never again. there's enough crap to pay attention to that the extra distraction/noise substitution can be a major part of the hazard. a radio on the bars doesn't drown out outside noise, neither do earplugs. headphones will pretty much make sure you hear nothing. and you use your ears for balance a little bit also

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I always ride with earplugs, not earphones. I don't like having music on my bike, but I see that as maybe just a very minor contributing factor. Like what was said earlier, it was the stupid and all too common rubbernecking that did this rider in.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well one thing we have here is high occupancy (carpool) lanes, which are also motorcycle lanes. The ambulance was stopped in that lane. With no one to signal traffic and no traffic cones set. I understand emergency and all and I hate rubber necking, my beef is the whole "the man was wearing headphones" bla bla bla. Really? I'm gonna get one of those loud stereos for the bike and just blare it with a big sub woofer and get some bass going. THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP..........

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd say the ipod may have contributed to the crash... but only 1%. But that is only if there was some sound that would have alerted him to begin with. If the rider was too busy gawking at the crash it wouldn't matter what he was listening to. The ambulance was a stopped vehicle, most likely not still blaring it's siren. If it had been a car, would they have said the driver crashed because the radio was on? I doubt it.

Ipod, earplugs, being deaf or un-hindered hearing.. none of them matter if you aren't watching where you're going.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Ive ridden with both ear plugs and earphones.

I prefer ear plugs because it cuts alot of wind noise whereas the music does not. The music didnt distract me...in some cases with some songs I was actually more focused...as if it were my riding theme song and I was in the music video. Yes a dork I know.

(better than signing in my helmet haha!)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ive ridden with both ear plugs and earphones.

I prefer ear plugs because it cuts alot of wind noise whereas the music does not. The music didnt distract me...in some cases with some songs I was actually more focused...as if it were my riding theme song and I was in the music video. Yes a dork I know.

(better than signing in my helmet haha!)
There is nothing wrong with Helmet Singing!!

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is nothing wrong with Helmet Singing!!
Yeah really!!! I'm a rockstar when I sing in my helmet....oh and guitar hero but that's only if I finish the song.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Target fixation is a real issue for riders.

When riding in a group, never stare at the rider in front of you. If he goes off the road, you are very likely to follow him off. That is classic target fixation.

If you watch a rookie road race, it is very common to have whole groups of riders crash in a heap when the lead rider goes off in a corner and all the guys behind him follow.

Target fixation also explains why people are constantly running into State Troopers on the sides of highways.

Lesson .... look where you want to go.

Don't focus on other riders, other drivers, stopped vehicles or anything else you want to avoid .. like potholes or debris.

Stay focused on your own path.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Target fixation is a real issue for riders.

When riding in a group, never stare at the rider in front of you. If he goes off the road, you are very likely to follow him off. That is classic target fixation.

If you watch a rookie road race, it is very common to have whole groups of riders crash in a heap when the lead rider goes off in a corner and all the guys behind him follow.

Target fixation also explains why people are constantly running into State Troopers on the sides of highways.

Lesson .... look where you want to go.

Don't focus on other riders, other drivers, stopped vehicles or anything else you want to avoid .. like potholes or debris.

Stay focused on your own path.
Exactly. And here is an example on the street:

The first rider lowsided and was tumbling along the edge of the road. The second rider appeared to target fixate and ran into the first rider, then went up the hill in the dirt and fell over.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
...Target fixation also explains why people are constantly running into State Troopers on the sides of highways...
Also a contributing factor to this phenomenon is drinking and driving. Apparently beer goggles zoom in on flashy lights...ka-BAM!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.