Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bike did you do the on cycle test to get your license??? Apparently anything from a 49cc scooter and up is okay to use...I kinda don't wanna use my new sv650s for the test just because its been a while and I don't wanna completely screw it up...I'd rather use like a 250cc bike or a lower CC bike to do the test with :p anyone got one I can borrow in Montgomery County, MD???

T

·
0 Posts
shekshishekki said:
What bike did you do the on cycle test to get your license??? Apparently anything from a 49cc scooter and up is okay to use
In North Dakota, if you take your test on anything less than 100 cc, then your license restricts you to bike under 100cc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took mine on my sv. It was a piece of cake in KC missouri. I didn't miss a single point, but I don't know how much the test varies from state to state.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
I got mine through the MSF course. Many othes have too. Good riding coaching, an insurance discount and a waiver on the test - can't beat it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Fatass SVS said:
I got mine through the MSF course.  Many othes have too. Good riding coaching, an insurance discount and a waiver on the test - can't beat it. 

The Kawasaki Eliminator 125 - This is what they used in the MSF.

MSF was the best money I have spent on motorcycles yet! Plus you get to skip all the testing at the DMV... I am not sure if it the same everywhere but that alone was worth the money where I am (South Florida)!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea it says in the handbook 49cc and up :-D hahaha the maryland test involves the following...

1) Go in a straight line within a 2ft x 60ft rectangle and you have to stay in the box for a minimum of 12 seconds (Guess they want you to ride slow)

2) Make a U-Turn in a 26ft x 30ft Box

3) Make a slow 90 degree turn in a L shape that 5ft wide

4) Right turn at a stop sign

5) Weave through 5 cones that a 10ft apart each

6) Upshift to second gear and then down shift

7) Stopping in a 3ft x 5ft box

8) Accelerate to 15mph then do a quick stop

The scary thing is that the whole time your foot apparently can't touch the ground...so I'm thinking about that stop sign and going...i have to come to a complete stop then start again without putting my foot to the ground??? Maybe theres is a break and instruction of what to do after each step??? I'm gonna have to get that straight before I go take the test :-D Now don't get me wrong, I WILL TAKE THE MSF COURSE...but they are all filled for this summer and the next one is in march...and I'm not about to wait THAT long...so I'll take the class in march but test for my license now...I just need to practice a lil before I go...

·
Registered
60 Posts
i took mine on my drz400 dual sport. the tester commented that she didn't think a bike could go that slow and stay upright..
::)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Took mine on on a Yamaha RD360.... of course that was in 1981. ::)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why don't you just take the written test, to get your permit you should be fine riding your bike till March then when you're done with the MSF course just go to the DMV and show your certificate of completion and you'll get your license right on the spot. Or a least that's how you can do it in CA.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jared McDonley said:

The Kawasaki Eliminator 125 - This is what they used in the MSF.

MSF was the best money I have spent on motorcycles yet! Plus you get to skip all the testing at the DMV... I am not sure if it the same everywhere but that alone was worth the money where I am (South Florida)!
+1

took mine in order to complete the MSF. same bike. same color. those really are fun little bikes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Got mine through the MSF course too. We used Buell Blasts!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually jsut got my learner's permit today ;D problem is, it expires in feburary and the class is in march...hahahaha so...thats why i'm just gonna test for it...time to break out the duct tape and spend hours upon hours practicing in a parking lot weaving around duct tape markers ;D

·
Registered
49 Posts
OH, I see your dilema then. Well since you have till February to practice why don't you try to be a stand-in or a walk-in for the MSF course sometimes people don't end up going. You never know you might get in sooner and don't have to worry about taking the DMV riding test.

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah MSF all the way..

I failed my motorcycle test on my XR250L (dirtbike). And had been riding for 6 years. But the lady was a :mad:

She expected me to have all the tests memorized. Which I figured she'd tell me. So that started off on a bad note. Then she said Do a U turn and stop with your front tire in the box. So I did a huge ass U - turn, nice and smooth. And stopped perfectly in the box. She said, "Well you missed points because you crossed that line, that line, and that line..." I said, "you didn't tell me that I couldn't do that." She said, "you should have known..." So yeah, I failed on the first 3 parts of the 5 part test.

But ACED the MSF one... even though I'd been riding for awhile, well worth the money, and time!! both of my friends that are getting bikes, are taking that course this month.

Oh, and you should be able to renew your permit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
meh renewing my permit = more $$ hahaha I'm already busting a lot of money out for this bike...I'll practice this enough to do it with my eyes closed...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts