Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of a big guy (everyone says I look [and act] like Kevin James). I'm looking for a new mesh jacket for summer riding and was wondering what fits a gut. I had a Power Trip VTX jacket when I had my VTX1800. Size XL fit but was tight in the belly. I would normally wear and large (I'm only 5' 8" so XXL is way too big) but have to accomdate the spare tire.

Any suggestions on brand and size would be great.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Alter Ego that fits my, er, fluffiness very well...I'm about your height (2" taller).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The best thing you can do is go to a store and just try on jackets. This way you will know for certain how the fit is, then go home and find it online for less.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
try the harley forum
good place to find a$$less chaps. :roflmao:

actually, i got a street & steel jacket from cycle gear that works for my similar horizontal bulge. normally that's the brand for the cruiser crowd, but they do have a few with armor in them. mine is the "nomad", leather with strech panels in the sides and some zipper venting which makes it bearable in the arizona summer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Look at olympia gear. It is sized for the american build from all the reviews i have seen on it. A lot of the larger guys on advrider use the stuff.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Joe Rocket Alter Ego that fits my, er, fluffiness very well...I'm about your height (2" taller).
What size is it?

try the harley forum
:lmao:

I don't know, Kevin James is looking pretty fit for his upcoming MMA movie.
Dang, I've got some training to do...

actually, i got a street & steel jacket from cycle gear that works for my similar horizontal bulge. normally that's the brand for the cruiser crowd, but they do have a few with armor in them. mine is the "nomad", leather with strech panels in the sides and some zipper venting which makes it bearable in the arizona summer.
I will look in to this.

Look at olympia gear. It is sized for the american build from all the reviews i have seen on it. A lot of the larger guys on advrider use the stuff.
and this.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Also try cortech. I bought a GX air 2, leather shoulders and back with mesh everywhere else. It's a small and fits me like its a large except for the overall height of the jacket. It's a nice rig though. Has a waterproof/windproof liner and a thermal liner that can be worn together or seperately or not at all.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
AGV jackets usually are sized so that the max belly size is about 4" less than the chest size. They are talking about size at your navel, not your "waist" size. So, a size 48 would handle a max belly of 44". I have their Telluride and recently bought a Pella perforated leather at MotorcycleGear.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We should trade some body mass. Jackets that fit my chest / arms always have a crumpled pocket of excess near my belly once fetal-positioned on the bike.

I have a buddy of similar proportion who wears an Alpinestars Mert jacket (which has a very non-Alpinestars cut/fit). Works for him, might be worth taking a look.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Are you trying to justify it? Not accepting something that's inherently going the wrong direction seems smart to me.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Don't be a d!ck, solarae. "American" cut is a fashion term. It means a fuller-cut garment than a "European" cut. In general, American cut has a 4" drop. European cut has a 6" drop.

Don't know what a "drop" is? Then why comment? Typical Californian -- buff body, but a know-nothing.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Don't be a d!ck, solarae. "American" cut is a fashion term. It means a fuller-cut garment than a "European" cut. In general, American cut has a 4" drop. European cut has a 6" drop.

Don't know what a "drop" is? Then why comment? Typical Californian -- buff body, but a know-nothing.
Today I learned what drop means (as a clothing term). Thanks :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
It has nothing to do with justifying it or not, it is agreeing with the term american cut. In reality that is what american cut is, maybe one day it wont be but either way i care not. It doesnt effect me. That is like being upset if your asian and someone makes a comment on buying asian cut apparel like tachi if you are built very small. I guess someone like Yoshihiro Akiyama would take offense since he isnt built like a typical asian and looks like this. But again reality is, asian cut apparel is for extremely small and slender limbs and torso. Get over the term and worry about staying in shape and maybe one day enough people will do that so that the term no longer applies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also try cortech. I bought a GX air 2, leather shoulders and back with mesh everywhere else. It's a small and fits me like its a large except for the overall height of the jacket. It's a nice rig though. Has a waterproof/windproof liner and a thermal liner that can be worn together or seperately or not at all.
Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We should trade some body mass. Jackets that fit my chest / arms always have a crumpled pocket of excess near my belly once fetal-positioned on the bike.

I have a buddy of similar proportion who wears an Alpinestars Mert jacket (which has a very non-Alpinestars cut/fit). Works for him, might be worth taking a look.
I really like Alpinestars so I'm certainly looking into this. I'll see if my local bike shop carries these. I really would like to try it on before buying.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts