Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a motorcycle fit an a cargo van, like a GMC express from Enterprise rental?

I'm thinking of buying a bike about 6 hours way and need a way to go pick it up.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You should be fine with either a van or a pickup, whatever is cheapest, as long as you have a few tiedown points.

You may not want to mention it to them that you are going to be transporting a bike in it.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
For sure. This is in a Dodge Caravan rental from FL back to IN.

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
Most will fit in a minivan, but the newer minivans with fold-flat 3rd row seats aren't as tall as the previous models with the removable seats.

I've carried numerous cycles in my '02 Dodge Caravan, and with the seats out you have a lot of good tiedown spots. The '08 and later models have the floor with storage compartments and the rear seat folds down, so you lose a bit of height - which I think would be a problem.

EDIT: Looks like the newer models will work with the removal of a couple items - http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159588

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I would drain the fluids before I put it in the car...

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Also, wouldn't you have to remove the seats for this? I guess you might put them back in sideways, but wouldn't tiedown straps be in the way? Maybe you could try finding a one way panel van rental. You could check whether Ryder has one way rentals, otherwise, they charge ~$.29 per mile.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Most will fit in a minivan, but the newer minivans with fold-flat 3rd row seats aren't as tall as the previous models with the removable seats.
I would drain the fluids before I put it in the car...
Also, wouldn't you have to remove the seats for this? I guess you might put them back in sideways, but wouldn't tiedown straps be in the way?
The OP was asking about a CARGO van. As in, full-size, no back seats, for cargo.

Two or 3 bikes would easily fit inside a cargo van. A lot of guys are saying a cargo van is superior to a truck for hauling bikes to the tracks due to the added security.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Moved a bike and a scooter in our Chevy Venture.....
If you're worried about fluids, cheap disposable plastic drop sheets are your friend

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a cargo van rental from Enterprise or the like is the cheapest way to go, they don't charge for mileage, by the time you add up the mileage with a Uhaul van your gonna spend a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Uhaul charges like .99 cents per mile. Their customer base really is the in town move. Even if you rent for a day, they count day as 9am-5pm, which obviously is bs.

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
The OP was asking about a CARGO van. As in, full-size, no back seats, for cargo.
I realize that.

Because he has 6 hours each way I wanted him to know that he could also get the job done in a minivan. A minivan is easy to get and the savings in fuel would be significant over that distance.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
:naughty:

And more specific to your question, yes it will fit in a cargo van. Thats how I transported my first bike. One for sure, 2 maybe.
That's awesome! Looks like my van. :)

Is your SN a reference to the tennis player? I wrote an article about him recently.

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I picked up my SV I rented a U-Haul van. It fit perfectly inside with plenty of room to spare. Just don't forget straps! I made a spider web out of straps to keep mine from tipping on the 120 mile ride home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts