Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with one of these? If so, how well did it work? I'm looking for something to carry my bike , but I don't want to get a trailer because I don't have anywhere to park it.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I use one on my blazer for smaller dirtbikes and my moped. I wouldn't put my SV on it though. Just too heavy. Unless you're driving a truck, but then you wouldn't need the carrier.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I have one that I haul my dirtbike on when I can't catch a ride with someone else. I barely trust it with a dirtbike (and have dropped the dirtbike 2x off of it so far, but those were both on rutted out dirt roads). There is no way in hell I would trust one with a full weight street bike, there is just way too much torque on the hitch receiver as well as the fact that your tiedown points are way too close to the center of the bike so you have very little stability.

·
very big dumb
9,056 Posts
if you have a class 3 hitch, the tongue weight is 500lbs. AT THE HITCH. Since that rail sticks out, it's a lever so you can't actually put 500lbs on it. Since it weighs a few lbs itself, you're REALLY pushing it putting a 400lb sv on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah if I had a truck there wouldnt be an issue, but i drive a jeep wrangler. I figured the weight of the sv would create a significant moment about the axis of the hitch. OK, i guess i need to start looking at other options. Maybe I'll shell out a little extra and get a small trailer. Thanks for the input.

·
very big dumb
9,056 Posts
Yeah if I had a truck there wouldnt be an issue, but i drive a jeep wrangler. I figured the weight of the sv would create a significant moment about the axis of the hitch. OK, i guess i need to start looking at other options. Maybe I'll shell out a little extra and get a small trailer. Thanks for the input.
something like this may do well for you if you don't have a ton of space to store a trailer? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466701_200466701?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Trailers%20%2B%20Trailer%20Parts-_-Trailers-_-14717&ci_sku=14717&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
ditto on my dirtbike carrier-would not trust a full size street bike on one of these

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
if you have a class 3 hitch, the tongue weight is 500lbs. AT THE HITCH. Since that rail sticks out, it's a lever so you can't actually put 500lbs on it. Since it weighs a few lbs itself, you're REALLY pushing it putting a 400lb sv on it.
It's not just the tongue weight that is the problem, but when you make turns or are anything less than perfectly level the carrier will lean a little side to side (the torque I mentioned before). Receivers aren't made to take stress like that, since hitch balls are spherical. eventually it could weaken or bend the mounting points between the receiver and the frame.

·
very big dumb
9,056 Posts
It's not just the tongue weight that is the problem, but when you make turns or are anything less than perfectly level the carrier will lean a little side to side (the torque I mentioned before). Receivers aren't made to take stress like that, since hitch balls are spherical. eventually it could weaken or bend the mounting points between the receiver and the frame.
didn't think of it that way, was just thinking in terms of ratings. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
731 Posts
We drove my SV home on a cheap Chinese version of one of those mounted to the back of a Ram 1500. Eh.. I wouldn't have wanted to be behind us. :)

But it made it home just fine. If you're going to do that try to get the beefiest one they have.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
didn't think of it that way, was just thinking in terms of ratings. :eek:ccasion14:
You learn how unsteady they really are when you get off the pavement and start bouncing around. On mine with a 250lb dirtbike it will tilt/twist/bend 3" or so at each end, it has that much play in it. It's rated for 400lbs and I have a reciever rated for 500lbs.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Trailer-in-a-bag is great if you're short on space but long on cash. It's expensive. (IIRC, around $1,200).

If you are short on space and cash, Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply Company sell folding trailers (the base is hinged in the middle) that sell for around $500.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That is too much weight on the back of a car or even a half ton truck. Your front end will float and make steering dangerous.

Too bad though, I've tried the same thing and like everyone says, even a dirtbike is too heavy.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I don't think a Wrangler has a hitch that is capable of supporting this. And either way, imagine if you hit a dip in a highway. That 500lb in bike and carrier you have all of a sudden became 800lb, if not more, due to gravity.

If you have space that's 5 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and 5 feet tall (it would easily fit in my garage spot, and my Lancer Evolution is probably longer than the Wrangler), get a folding Harbor Freight trailer, replace the wheel bearings, add some plywood for the floor and you're done. They routinely send out 25% coupons, so you can get this all fitted out for under $300. If you're really strapped for space, then you can spend $650 for a used Trailer In A Bag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.