Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have tried everything you can think of and cannot get hydraulic pressure back in the system suspect the Brake Master cylinder. Even if it appears to pump OK under stress it may be faulty and not even leak!

I've been doing some work on the Front end of my 1999 SV650 so thought I would post some info to help others and search engines.

Although my front brakes were fine the stock brakes lines are/were original which means they are over 20 years old. I decided for safety sake to replace them with some SRBL ( Steel Reinforced Brake Lines ) as these are cheaper than OEM. I wanted to keep the original routing so bought two 45cm ( approx 18" ) SRBL off eBay and 1 35cm one for the shorter line from the MC to the junction/T-pipe.

I've also serviced the Brake Master Cylinder with a service kit. Having used one of these before with little success I was dubious but this time it's worked fine. I do however have a spare Front Brake Master Cylinder from one of my old Honda Twin Discs motorcycles that I have tested on my SV650 and it works fine just in case. It has the same 5/8" ( 15.8mm) piston as the SV650 one.

Because of a video I saw on YouTube where a guy had a brake bleed tube vertical off the bleed nipple ( which made it easier to see bubbles and also act as a 1-way valve ) loose into a bottle it got me thinking I could improve it a bit. I came up with this,

I drilled a hole in the plastic of the bottle and glue-sealed it with some epoxy twin-pack matting the bottle top both sides and the tubing about an inch and a half as adhesives cannot bond to shiny surfaces. Then drilled a couple of holes for the bit of wire to be able to hang it from the Handlebar. You cannot see in the picture but I also cut a square just above where the wire goes through so I can dump the Brake fluid easier when done.

Empty system priming 101.

1:Cover area under MC to prevent fluid damage to Tank/Bike etc.

2: Undo right hand side Bleed nipple and push Bottle Bleeder tube onto it.

3: Top up MC and remove the Banjo bolt.

4: Place finger on MC Banjo Bolt Hole.

5: Gently pull brake lever several times and usually on the 3rd pull fluid should push the finger away from the Banjo hole. When this happens slow the pulling in of the lever and hold it and quickly with the other hand get the Banjo bolt back into the MC making sure the two sealing washers are in place and keeping your Spanner/Wrench handy tighten.

6: Top up MC with fluid e.g NEVER let it empty or you will have to repeat the above!!!

7: Place palm on top of MC and now pump the lever and watch the fluid in the tube especially near the nipple and once moving keep an eye on the MC fluid level.

8: Once you are happy there no air/bubbles coming up into the tube tighten the bleed nipple.

Repeat bleed only for the let hand side and then bleed/check the right hand side and then the left hand side again.

Here's a short video of the Bottle Bleeder in use,

Note: The only occasions I've had trouble priming a Motorcycle hydraulic brake system was either due to a faulty Master Cylinder or an incorrect/faulty Banjo sealing washer!

HTH :)

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Alternatively, you can put the bottle on the ground, so long as there is enough hose to make a gentle bend off the nipple and keep some fluid in the hose above the nipple to prevent air from being sucked back in. I use a 2L Gatorade bottle with a coat hanger looped around the neck for a hanging hook.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alternatively, you can put the bottle on the ground, so long as there is enough hose to make a gentle bend off the nipple and keep some fluid in the hose above the nipple to prevent air from being sucked back in. I use a 2L Gatorade bottle with a coat hanger looped around the neck for a hanging hook.
That's the old system I've used for years but with this hung bottle I can see and know that bubbles are coming out nicely and they have nowhere to go except out of the fluid at the top :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wow! Post has only been up a day-ish and the Imgur video has had near 1,000 hits. Search engines has a been busy :O)

Note number in this post does not reflect up-to-date hit number on the Imgur site. I've put the image, "Live" so now it's hit over 5,000 Imgur hits. Mental :O

1 - 5 of 5 Posts