Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if these bikes are going to be prototypes like the bigger motogp bikes? There is already WSBK and SuperSport and those deal with production bikes, is it really going to be interesting or any different from those races? If they are going to be prototypes I wonder what all of the manufactures are going to dish out, especially KTM and Aprilia.

Just Curious.

David

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
nothing is official or final yet, but IIRC the last press release said that the motor internals were to be from production bikes, while chassis and suspension can all be prototype/aftermarket to keep team costs down. They want more sponsor money to go to the 800cc rather than being spent on expensive 250gp teams.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
FGSport (the owners of WSBK and it's sub-classes, incl. WSS) have a contract with the FIM that explicitly states that they have exclusive World Championship status for classes utilizing production based equipment. This creation is in clear violation of that contract. So I don't know what the hell's gonna happen with this new 600 class. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Technology flow down is coming.... NOICE!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Say goodbye some of the sweetest handling machines on earth.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
lap times will probably still go down. Remember that the chassis and suspension will still be top-spec, unlike supersports, so these things will be missiles.

They will probably sound like F1 cars as well...

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I don't have much to add except that lap times are irrelevant as far as close and competitive racing goes. And the 250s are a dang good show.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Say goodbye some of the sweetest handling machines on earth.
Yep... This really bums me out. :'( Why get rid of 250's to have yet another 600cc race class? We already have enough of them in all the other race organizations.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yep... This really bums me out. :'( Why get rid of 250's to have yet another 600cc race class? We already have enough of them in all the other race organizations.
it's cheaper.

and I don't see why it won't be as close racing as it already is, the same guys will be there, if you watch world supersports or even superstock you'd see some of the most fairing-banging full assault riding you can have on a track...

the only thing I'm wondering about is the whole traction control issue, I hope they ban it outright from the new class. That will make things more fun to watch, the little bikes sliding around would be cool to see.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
it's cheaper.

and I don't see why it won't be as close racing as it already is, the same guys will be there, if you watch world supersports or even superstock you'd see some of the most fairing-banging full assault riding you can have on a track...

the only thing I'm wondering about is the whole traction control issue, I hope they ban it outright from the new class. That will make things more fun to watch, the little bikes sliding around would be cool to see.
There is no way running a much more complex four stroke engine is cheaper than running a two stroke. MotoGP is a lot more expensive in the post 2 stroke era.
I agree with banning traction control it's just hard to police unless you have spec ECUs

·
Registered
35 Posts
no, it's not cheaper.

basically the japanese manufac. gave up on 2-stokes and they want to sale more bikes and so getting the 250 class to go to 600 is nothing but a marketing move by them, and it completely pushes out aprilia and ktm from that class.

also, even with special chassis and whatever they are going to be bigger bikes, and a lot of people, ex-racers, pros, Schwantz, lots of people have talked about that fact that kids, some as young as thirteen, are having to ride a big 600, there is nothing in between the 125's and the 600's. that was the great thing about the 250 class, and why they are pushing the 450 class here in the states.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Except the 450 motors themselves are going to be expensive grenades. We ran the Baja 1000 on a fresh trx450 motor and the service interval was still shorter than the race. The high sustained revs those motors will see in roadracing will be very hard on them.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would love to see something smaller than 600cc bikes to replace the 250. Sad the two-stroke is going away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think this is a Japanese scheme to rid the world of KTM and Aprilia. Too bad, I really like KTM.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Sad .. nothing less exciting than a production 600 IL4.

I really wanted them to go with 500cc four stroke twins.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
There is no way running a much more complex four stroke engine is cheaper than running a two stroke. MotoGP is a lot more expensive in the post 2 stroke era.
I agree with banning traction control it's just hard to police unless you have spec ECUs
well the press releases said the idea is for it to be cheaper, that's why they want production motors I would imagine...If it's true or not I don't know.

and yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole idea is to nix out the european factories that do really well in the small classes. And selling supersports to teenagers of course...

·
Registered
47 Posts
It wWould be interesting to see Aprilia make an RS framed SXV powerplant bike.
I have an SXV and the acceleration is brutal, poor top end though. :(
But it will compete with an SV right out of the box.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think it's just another way to kill the smokers....seems like everybody wants a I4

A got two litres of Castrol A747 oil and it is up to $21.99 !!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts