Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm simply neutral in my judgement.
Hold on. What’s that flag in your signature bar? 😉

I would LOVE to own a Ducati Panigale (if I were young and not plushy) or the (X) Diavel… or even the Monster! Not for brand ownership, but because they are awesome machines! But I do concur on reliability. And maybe it’s a North America vs Italy thing. I watch an Australian YouTuber that says certain brands down there are stellar for customer service, where they are absolute CRAP in the Americas!

Another Canadian YouTuber I watched has a bunch of videos of their HyperMotard, made by ‘The Brand Who Must Not Be Named’. So you can tell how THAT turned out. It’s a recurring theme over here.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hold on. What’s that flag in your signature bar?
My son and several riding buddies of mine own a ducati, therefore I know what I'm talking about.
I don't like Ducati street bikes from an aesthetic point of view, thus I'm not biased towards ducati.

I just evaluate plain facts that are brought to my attention.

Am I not neutral in my judgement simply because I'm Italian?

BTW, what has all this to do with MotoGP?
Can anybody deny the fact that ducati has won more races, on different tracks, with different riders, than any other brand?
Isn't this a clear sign that it is (currently) the best motoGP bike around?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Bagnaia is 14 points ahead of Quartararo now. Espargaro and Bastianini still have a mathematical
chance of winning it, but it would take some pretty wild circumstances for it to happen. Quartararo still has a chance though. Two races, a crash from Bagnaia, it could all swing back in Fabio's favor. But yeah, if it stays on the current trend, Pecco will take it.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Pecco is on fire and Fabio is fading. This should be an easy win for Pecco. I say he wins this by over 30 points. Rins was on fire, but he’s just not consistent. Maybe he deserves a seat at Repsol, but he must now prove his worth on LCR Honda come next season.

And can’t write off MM93. He’s slowly but surely building his confidence back. He’ll be a front runner in 2023.

But besides Suzuki getting out of the paddock, the biggest loser here is Yamaha. Their bike is shit, and it’s amazing how Fabio kept that bike winning when it clearly isn’t working for anyone else. Maybe Maverick was onto something when he gave up his factory seat willingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
Pecco is on fire and Fabio is fading. This should be an easy win for Pecco. I say he wins this by over 30 points...
Well you weren't far off, 17 points in it but yes, Pecco took it. Pretty intense first lap with some paint swapped and aerodynamic wings knocked off but what an awesome ride by Rins. Nailed the start and lead the whole race. Great to see Suzuki bow out in style after a fairly bleak season.
Disappointing to see Miller crash out in the final laps hey but he wasn't going to make the podium after Binder came through on the charge. A very impressive ride by Binder, showed true pace and his tyres went the distance.

So that's it till 26th of March next year in Portugal when it all kicks off again. It's been another great season of viewing.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Going to be interesting with Bagnaia and Bastianini in the same house. And waiting on the first tests to see if Yamaha has finally pulled their heads out and put some power in the M1. Quartararo came within 18 points of winning the Championship on the slowest bike on the grid, can't help but wonder what he could do on even ground..
Meanwhile, still got a couple more rounds of WSBK to go..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Going to be interesting with Bagnaia and Bastianini in the same house. And waiting on the first tests to see if Yamaha has finally pulled their heads out and put some power in the M1. Quartararo came within 18 points of winning the Championship on the slowest bike on the grid, can't help but wonder what he could do on even ground..
Meanwhile, still got a couple more rounds of WSBK to go..
That'll be another Ducati clean up! 😈😄

·
Registered
691 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I think Ducati is playing the homologation game with the ever tightening "production bike" rules. I don't know the complete rule set for it, but the gist is that they produce and make available to the public, at least 500 bikes that are within a certain range of the their SBK efforts. Ducati has the Superleggera V4 (limited edition 500 units made) that costs $100k-$120K. Nobody else is producing anything anywhere near this price range. Yamaha has the R1M and Honda has the CBR-RR, BMW has the M1000RR, and Kawasaki is just winging it with the standard ZX10R. All retailing for 25% or less of the MSRP of the Ducati. Aprilia played this game when Max Biaggi was riding for them, I remember one of the commentators mentioning that no bike on the grid was as technically complicated as Max's Aprilia. The Foggy Petronis 3 cylinder screamers were another example. They would make 500 for sale every year, but I've never heard of anyone in the general public ever actually owning an FP1.
There are other rules of course, max RPM, semi spec ECUs, fuel, etc.., but a lot of it comes down to homologation. Ducati does have the strongest straight line bikes in MotoGP now. And with a far more technical homologation bike, they can trickle down a lot more to their WSBK effort, which has widened the gap more to the competition. The V4 motor being the biggest thing against he inlines (same thing going with Yamaha against the V4-V5 world in MotoGP). I figure Ducati will be good for another season, but then the ruling body will likely be along to level things again. We seen what they did with Kawasaki that put an end to Rea's streak, they can just as easily do it to Ducati..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Kawasaki does have the ZX-10RR but yeah its a long way off the Superleggera. Seems odd that the FIM haven't reversed the 500 RPM reduction they imposed on Kawasaki in 2019. Is it because Johnny can still put the thing on the podium perhaps?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Think it was a combination of the lowered rev limit and the coming of Toprak. As we've seen this year, even Bautista isn't totally immune to Toprak. I don't see any real difference in the power of the Kawi and Yamaha, more in the handling and Toprak's ability to stop and turn the bike. Johnny doesn't look to have the corner entry of Toprak, and has a tendency to burn up the tire trying to make it up on corner exit. The only reason Bautista is where he is, is the top end power of the Ducati. We've seen it time and time again, Toprak passes him in the tight sections, but the straight comes up and Bautista comes from 3-4 bike lengths back and just cruises by like everyone else is on 600s.
The other side of the Ducati showed itself here in the US Moto America series. It was the same bike as Bautista has, only difference was they had to set it up for Dunlop instead of the WSBK Pirellis. Petrucci rode it well, but US tracks are a far cry from the World stage venues. Rough and tumble, no long straights to speak of, no places to make use of the big power, and they struggled. Petrucci looks to be coming back next year, so we'll see if they have the tires sorted and what they can do. Going to be a hard go (for everyone) dealing with Gagne though. Dude is on a real tear the last few years, he's sometimes putting 1/2-3/4 second per lap on the field from lights out.

·
Registered
2013 Gladius in need of serious TLC. 2017 CF Moto 650MT, 1960 Motobi 175 under restoration.
54 Posts
Jake Gagne. Motoamerica Superbike champion '21-'22..
OK thanks, we dont get much info or coverage of USA racing over here. I see that Baubier is returning to the US, he did alright in Moto2 but its a very hard class with a lot of good riders. Reading his interview I think the level of racing is higher than he expected.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
OK thanks, we dont get much info or coverage of USA racing over here. I see that Baubier is returning to the US, he did alright in Moto2 but its a very hard class with a lot of good riders. Reading his interview I think the level of racing is higher than he expected.
Yeah, kind of the same way with BSB here in the US. About all I can get of it is highlight stuff on YouTube. Too bad too as it's great racing and some classic tracks that have been around for a lot of years.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Well you weren't far off, 17 points in it but yes, Pecco took it. Pretty intense first lap with some paint swapped and aerodynamic wings knocked off but what an awesome ride by Rins. Nailed the start and lead the whole race. Great to see Suzuki bow out in style after a fairly bleak season.
Disappointing to see Miller crash out in the final laps hey but he wasn't going to make the podium after Binder came through on the charge. A very impressive ride by Binder, showed true pace and his tyres went the distance.

So that's it till 26th of March next year in Portugal when it all kicks off again. It's been another great season of viewing.
Yeah it was a great race and Pecco showed lots of restraint by racing very conservatively in order to just bring the bike home. Rins ran a perfect race, it’s great to see Suzuki retire with a win. Not the first time Suzuki bows out. The first time they were struggling too much with the 4 stroke change, so it made sense. This time they had a very competitive bike and talented riders. They even scored a title since KRjr. We can only hope to see them back in the future. Would love to see green bikes again too.

I’ve been following MotoGP since the early 90’s, and I have never seen so much talent on that grid at one time. Half that grid is a potential front runner. Gone are the days of one guy running away with it year after year. Also everyone has so much mutual respect. None of the silly feuds from back then. I think this is a true golden era for the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 129 Posts