Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
I came to calling them the "Italian Harley Davidson". "Pride of Ownership" I found to be the mantra. It was all about the name and the image. Some didn't even ride them, they had other bikes or just didn't really ride at all. The bike was just part of it, the FB pages and owners groups were a clown show all in their own.. 😝
Oh dear... I can see you've got the hatred bad. Funny how we had completely different experiences on the same Marquee. I was in the Ducati Owners club for a couple of years, they were a great bunch of guys (definitely not posers lol) and we had some awesome day rides and weekends away together. Nothing but good memories for me.
I may even own another in the future! (y)
I've owned Ducatis on and off since 1997, and both perspectives are true. :)

Ducs are a lot like Harleys, in that there's a segment that's all about image, but there's a whole lot of hare core riders in there also. Recently joined the local Ducati owners group here, and it's a good bunch of people.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Same with the Harleys, I would never own one. Just lust after them. But one thing I noticed, was at bike shows and being able to sit on Gixxers, ZXs, CBRs, and R1s… None of them felt right, just a bit awkward and uncomfortable (not including my waistline! 😄)… But ‘assuming the position’ on a Panigale… That suddenly ‘felt’ like you were on a twisty mountain road or at a track. And it’s not coming from Brand Worship.

Or the difference between Japanese and European cars. There are good handling Japanese cars, which are pretty reliable. But there’s just something special about the handling and feel of a European car. They sacrifice themselves mechanically to deliver it, though…

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
My 749 was great to ride, but really the only things that I would consider better about it than most of the 600s I've had would be the brakes (full Brembo kit), and the power curve. Being the twin it was kind of like the SV in that it didn't need to be kept over 10k to produce power. If the bike had been more reliable, I might still have it. But when you get to the point that you're giving route plans and expected return times to friends in case the thing breaks (again) somewhere out in the sticks, it gets to be more problem than fun. Anything can break down, but with good maintenance, Japanese bikes give at least a reasonable chance of making it back. No amount of maintenance (and I did a LOT) could make the Ducati trustworthy. The last year I had it I rode it 700 miles, the whole time waiting for the sudden silence and the coast to a stop.
As for the people, downside was probably that all I knew was the online bunch. The only other Ducati I have ever seen around here was some kid on a 1098, and I only seen him a couple times in town when I was in the car.
It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but proved to be not in the end. Live and learn. Never again.. ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Ducati's have always had the straight line power but they've got them turning as well now so its a pretty deadly combo.
The Aprilia boys really struggling for a good set up this weekend, Vinales throwing toys out of cot.

Shout out to my man Miller for his magnificent win last weekend at Montegi. 🏁(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Didn't know MotoGP championship was a drag race ... :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Pretty much what Ducati has been relying on, straight line speed. Quartararo is riding out of his skin getting the much slower Yamaha to make up the difference in corner speed. Buriram is a straight away track, catering to the Ducati straight line advantage. Most likely one of the Ducatis will win for the simple fact that the half second Quartararo claws back in the corners will be lost immediately on one of the 4 long straights. The whole season has been like this for everyone not on a Ducati. Quartararo has just been able to stay there toward the front and capitalize when the Ducati riders folded
So, in the end, yes, it's a drag race..

·
Registered
691 Posts
Moh, you made it clear more than a few times you have a thing against Ducati, due to personal experience (although I could report my personal experience and the one of several buddy riders who all own Ducatis with no reported reliability problemat all), and I can live with it.
But, what you're stating is simply not the truth.
Over the whole 2022 championship Ducati proved to be the winningest bike, the one who won with most different riders, on different race tracks, and the one who won the manufacturers' title (largely in advance of the championship end).
And, no, I won't accept the explanation that they won because they race 8 bikes where all other manufacturers only race 2 or 4: this is only the result of manufacturing the best bike, that attracts many independent teams.
If Ducati were only good for straight line speed, they would not have lined up such an incredible streak of wins over different track and with different riders this year.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Moh, you made it clear more than a few times you have a thing against Ducati, due to personal experience (although I could report my personal experience and the one of several buddy riders who all own Ducatis with no reported reliability problemat all), and I can live with it.
But, what you're stating is simply not the truth.
Over the whole 2022 championship Ducati proved to be the winningest bike, the one who won with most different riders, on different race tracks, and the one who won the manufacturers' title (largely in advance of the championship end).
And, no, I won't accept the explanation that they won because they race 8 bikes where all other manufacturers only race 2 or 4: this is only the result of manufacturing the best bike, that attracts many independent teams.
If Ducati were only good for straight line speed, they would not have lined up such an incredible streak of wins over different track and with different riders this year.
Yeah I got a problem with Ducati street bikes. They're reliability nightmares used, and I don't make a SoCal $350k annual salary where I can afford to buy a new one every year. And guess you've never heard of the Ducati "non disclosure" terms for the lemon shit that they've been forced to take back (of course you haven't, it's a hush order, no one can talk about it).
I can tell you have a thing for the Ducati name, why don't you just dump the SV and go buy you one? Then you could be one of the cool Ducatista kids. They'll have trucks and trailers ready to haul your broke down ass in and you can write it all off to "pride of ownership".
You go back and watch any of the MotoGP races the last couple years (and current WSBK), the main thing is "top speed". Everyone catches up in the corners and Ducati runs away down the straights. Pure and simple.
Gotta love the brand name infatuation.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Honestly, my son has a ducati, my riding friends have a ducati, I don't like Ducati street bikes.
That's why I ride an SV.
So, no, I'm not biased towards them and I don't suffer of "pride of ownership".
I'm simply neutral in my judgement.

In motogp everyone catches up in the corners?
Didn't know Fabio's second name was everyone, because I fail to see anybody else (except maybe Aleix) catching up in the corners.
Have we been watching the same races?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think you just got a lemon bike Hillbilly and you've let that one bike taint your whole view of the marquee. I've had twenty something bikes and out of them my lemon turd was a Beemer, but I'll still give Hicky a shout out in the TT and the BSB.
You need to start building that bridge. ;)

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I think you just got a lemon bike Hillbilly and you've let that one bike taint your whole view of the marquee. I've had twenty something bikes and out of them my lemon turd was a Beemer, but I'll still give Hicky a shout out in the TT and the BSB.
You need to start building that bridge. ;)
My mistake was not doing enough research before I bought it. If I had, I would have known and not touched it. I knew the newer bikes had a crap ton of electrical problems (knew two people who took the "non disclosure" agreement to get Ducati to buy back their lemon Panigales), but figured an older one (2005) would be less involved and more reliable. After getting it and the problems started, I searched and found it was all normal crap for them. One of the admins on the 749/999 FB page actually messaged me saying that they knew about all the defects, but asked that I didn't talk about them as it detracted from their "pride of ownership". After the second time home on the truck from electrical issues I was afraid to ride it anywhere. Got lucky both times and it died fairly close to the house. You see in my videos where I ride, some of those places a dead bike could be a real problem. Not to mention, at 14,500 miles it was soon due for it's second set of timing belts, clutch was about beat, battery cables needed to be upgraded, etc.. Seeing it leaving in the back of someone else's pickup was like walking out of the court house after a nasty divorce. The POS was gone and I was free to move on.
Ducati is all about the name, just like Harley Davidson. People don't buy them to get a good bike, they buy them to say they own a Ducati. As I said before, if I made $300k per year and could afford to buy a new one every year or two, it might be different. But to buy one as a trusted bike that will last 4-5 years and bring me home after every ride, never.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Moto2 was a real mess. Red flagged then red flagged again before the restart got under way. Delayed start for the GP race, then delayed again due to some sort of "medical emergency" on the grid. Reading that "high front tire pressure" hit the Yamahas again with both Crutchlow and Quartararo reporting it. 2 points for the Championship now..

81 - 100 of 129 Posts