Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
61 - 80 of 129 Posts

· Premium Member
781 Posts
On the other hand, he scored that time only at the end of the whole test sessions, with the track completely covered with tires compound, which allows for higher traction (that Yamaha has been lacking in the past two years, according to Rossi, Dovizioso and Morbidelli).

Not saying that they didn't improve, just questioning if the improvement is there to stay or if it's partly due to the circumstances.
He set the time on the current bike. They did a few laps on the new stuff on the first day and put it all back in the truck. Quartararo has always said traction isn't the issue (his corner speed proves that), it's the lack of top speed that makes him have to ride on the exact limit all the time to keep the Ducatis in check. Time and time again we've seen riders get past the Ducs in the corners only to have them cruise back by on the straights. At the moment Aprilia looks to be, mechanically, the most on par with them, they just don't have quite the rider quality of Bagnia, Bastianini, and Quartararo. Quartararo is holding very well on an obviously inferior bike, if he gets something level on top speed coupled with the current Yamaha handling...

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Then everybody will pretty much be back to the drawing board in 2024 with the "renewable fuel" ruling coming into effect. Haven't seen anything as to what that "fuel" is proposed to be.

· Registered
648 Posts
Quartararo is giving the updated motor a thumbs up. It's up several KPH on top speed from the current version with a few more minor changes still to go. If Yamaha gets even close to on par with the Ducati top end, barring an MM93 type injury, we could see a Championship reign that could go on for years (he's 23 and one of the youngest riders on the grid).
Even with the current (slooow) setup, FQ20 still left the test with the top time..
Peco Bagnaia is 25 so not much in it, but is that a scenario that we really want to see. I know personally I found the Marquez rein of dominance boring and didnt do much for the sport IMO. The crazy covid years of '20 and '21 were some of the best racing where you could have a completely different set of riders on the podium every race day. Kept it interesting.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Peco Bagnaia is 25 so not much in it, but is that a scenario that we really want to see. I know personally I found the Marquez rein of dominance boring and didnt do much for the sport IMO. The crazy covid years of '20 and '21 were some of the best racing where you could have a completely different set of riders on the podium every race day. Kept it interesting.
But at the rate it's going, if another team doesn't do something soon, it's going to be a whole season of Ducatis on the podium next year. The best Yamaha (or anyone else for that matter) can hope for at the moment is to equal them. Then it'll be up to rider talent to manage the Championship. Also at the moment, Quartararo looks to be that talent.
But, like I said, come 2024, it's all going to go on it's head again when they implement the fuel rule. I still haven't heard anything about what the "bio" fuel is going to be.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
40% in 2024, 100% by 2027, in all three classes..
"These fuels of the future will be able to be used in a standard internal combustion engine and will either be laboratory-created, using components sourced from a carbon capture scheme, or derived from municipal waste or non-food biomass, thereby achieving significant savings in greenhouse gas emissions relative to fossil-derived petrol. In addition, fuel suppliers will progressively introduce the use of renewable energy in the production of their fuel".
"Municipal waste or non food biomass". In other words, "garbage"..🤨

· Premium Member
781 Posts
And over in WSBK, Rea and Toprak set identical pole times with Rea getting the actual pole because he set his time first.
Points are as close there as in MotoGP with Rea 31 behind Bautista and Razgatlioglu 7 behind Rea going into todays race..

· Registered
648 Posts
And over in WSBK, Rea and Toprak set identical pole times with Rea getting the actual pole because he set his time first.
Points are as close there as in MotoGP with Rea 31 behind Bautista and Razgatlioglu 7 behind Rea going into todays race..
Yeah WSBK has been a great watch this year. Maybe we need a thread?
I see Remy Gardner is reportedly going to WSBK after losing his seat at KTM. Rumor is he will replace Nozane on the Yamaha. Gotta feel for the guy a bit, he joined KTM on a bad year and only got the one crack at it.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Yeah WSBK has been a great watch this year. Maybe we need a thread?
I see Remy Gardner is reportedly going to WSBK after losing his seat at KTM. Rumor is he will replace Nozane on the Yamaha. Gotta feel for the guy a bit, he joined KTM on a bad year and only got the one crack at it.
I'd like to see what Jake Gagne could do on one of the factory Yamahas. He did a couple seasons with Honda a while back to no avail, but then, nobody does very good on the Honda SBK. Last couple years have been above and beyond for him in Moto America.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Toprak and Rea crashing in race 1. Bautista on the wretched Ducati winning. I'd rather see Harley Davidson winning than Ducati. I had a Ducati for 4 years, biggest POS excuse for a motorcycle I've owned in all my 40 years of riding.
Big reason why I root for Quartararo, I despise Ducati.

· Registered
648 Posts
Toprak and Rea crashing in race 1. Bautista on the wretched Ducati winning. I'd rather see Harley Davidson winning than Ducati. I had a Ducati for 4 years, biggest POS excuse for a motorcycle I've owned in all my 40 years of riding.
Big reason why I root for Quartararo, I despise Ducati.
Haha, I'd picked up on the anti Ducati vibe ;)
My main riding buddy is a Yamaha man through and through so we have some great debates! I've owned every marquee apart from Moto Guzzi and Triumph so I'm not really inclined towards any one in particular but I did own a couple of Dukes, really enjoyed them (and had a trouble free run lol), so I back them in the racing. You've gotta have a team to root for right. These days because I'm riding an Aprilia I'm even finding myself backing Vinales :LOL:

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Haha, I'd picked up on the anti Ducati vibe ;)
My main riding buddy is a Yamaha man through and through so we have some great debates! I've owned every marquee apart from Moto Guzzi and Triumph so I'm not really inclined towards any one in particular but I did own a couple of Dukes, really enjoyed them (and had a trouble free run lol), so I back them in the racing. You've gotta have a team to root for right. These days because I'm riding an Aprilia I'm even finding myself backing Vinales :LOL:
Yah know, I've honestly never owned a Yamaha street bike. Had several tuning fork dirt bikes, but never a pavement version. Had several of the rest of the big 4 though. Bought the Ducati (2005 749) with 4600 miles on it (have some videos with it on my YT channel), beautiful bike, complete background history. Had the timing belts (timing belts, 89 Chevy Cavalier technology) replaced, valves checked (one already out of spec at 7500 miles), changed all fluids, got everything up to spec. Magnificent handling bike, until it started to stop. First breakdown was the reg/rec at less than 10k miles. Design team took a heat fail prone SCR reg/rec and bolted it to the motor case, then ran a radiator hose in front of it. WTF? It tried to burn everything electrical on the bike up. First ride home on the truck. $150 to Rick's for a mosfet reg/rec.
Then a few K miles later a wire in the fuel pump harness broke inside the insulation, second ride home on the truck. Got lucky and found an aftermarket harness for $100 (Ducati would only sell it as a whole fuel pump assembly for $1100). Got that fixed and by then the (dry) clutch was starting to squawk and squeal, timing belts were coming due again, battery cables were too small from the factory and needing to be upgraded, plus God knows what was getting ready to break next. The last summer I owned it I only rode it 700 miles, simply because I was paranoid to go any farther than I could walk back. Four years with no track days because I didn't want to be "that guy" who's bike blew up and oiled down the track. Miserable..
I sold it to some kid and walked away like walking out of the court house after a nasty divorce. Bought the SV650S a few days later and have never looked back. Even counting some of the old junkers I had when I was a kid, that Ducati was the worst bike I've ever owned..

· Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Yah know, I've honestly never owned a Yamaha street bike. Had several tuning fork dirt bikes, but never a pavement version. Had several of the rest of the big 4 though. Bought the Ducati (2005 749) with 4600 miles on it (have some videos with it on my YT channel), beautiful bike, complete background history. Had the timing belts (timing belts, 89 Chevy Cavalier technology) replaced, valves checked (one already out of spec at 7500 miles), changed all fluids, got everything up to spec. Magnificent handling bike, until it started to stop. First breakdown was the reg/rec at less than 10k miles. Design team took a heat fail prone SCR reg/rec and bolted it to the motor case, then ran a radiator hose in front of it. WTF? It tried to burn everything electrical on the bike up. First ride home on the truck. $150 to Rick's for a mosfet reg/rec.
Then a few K miles later a wire in the fuel pump harness broke inside the insulation, second ride home on the truck. Got lucky and found an aftermarket harness for $100 (Ducati would only sell it as a whole fuel pump assembly for $1100). Got that fixed and by then the (dry) clutch was starting to squawk and squeal, timing belts were coming due again, battery cables were too small from the factory and needing to be upgraded, plus God knows what was getting ready to break next. The last summer I owned it I only rode it 700 miles, simply because I was paranoid to go any farther than I could walk back. Four years with no track days because I didn't want to be "that guy" who's bike blew up and oiled down the track. Miserable..
I sold it to some kid and walked away like walking out of the court house after a nasty divorce. Bought the SV650S a few days later and have never looked back. Even counting some of the old junkers I had when I was a kid, that Ducati was the worst bike I've ever owned..
I've never owned a Ducati but have two friends who sound like you, "maintenance heavy, unreliable, cost repairs"....
I think the saturation of Ducati's in motogp is a little much, having eight bikes on the current grid, six factories! That's almost half the grid, a lot of red!

· Registered
648 Posts
I've never owned a Ducati but have two friends who sound like you, "maintenance heavy, unreliable, cost repairs"....
I think the saturation of Ducati's in motogp is a little much, having eight bikes on the current grid, six factories! That's almost half the grid, a lot of red!
Yeah i hear ya, how many times have we heard the commentators say after qualifying " and its a Ducati lockout of the front row"...
I guess in Ducati's defense they only have two factory bikes like every other Marque. And is it not the choice of a non factory team as to which manufacturer they strike a deal with? For example it seems that the RNF team are dropping the Yamahas next year and switching to Aprilia.
If your going to choose a manufacturer's bike to race you want it to be a fast one right!

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Yeah i hear ya, how many times have we heard the commentators say after qualifying " and its a Ducati lockout of the front row"...
I guess in Ducati's defense they only have two factory bikes like every other Marque. And is it not the choice of a non factory team as to which manufacturer they strike a deal with? For example it seems that the RNF team are dropping the Yamahas next year and switching to Aprilia.
If your going to choose a manufacturer's bike to race you want it to be a fast one right!
Think there's a little more to it than just picking what they want. Manufacturers usually have a factory team and front capable satellite team. The rest get 1-2 year old bikes. The top satellite teams have to prove that they have the sponsorship $$ (a big issue for Razlan Razali for a moment when Petronis pulled out) and are capable of fronting reasonably talented up and coming riders. Ducati has managed to attract two good satellite teams in the form of Gresini and Mooney VR46. So they have 6 bikes and several good riders (Bastianini being very good), with Pramac being pretty much a "customer" team adding two more Ducs to the mix (though I think they're running 2020 model bikes). Aprilia needed the satellite RNF team to add to their test community, and RNF needed some competitive bikes. Still think that's the idea of GasGas. Even though they're rebranded KTMs, they might qualify as a "new" manufacturer and get concessions. Concessions teams get to change a lot more during the season than established and factory teams. Would be very good test mules for KTM.
Lotta $$ and fast thinking going on in MotoGP..

· Premium Member
781 Posts
I came to calling them the "Italian Harley Davidson". "Pride of Ownership" I found to be the mantra. It was all about the name and the image. Some didn't even ride them, they had other bikes or just didn't really ride at all. The bike was just part of it, the FB pages and owners groups were a clown show all in their own.. 😝

· Registered
648 Posts
I came to calling them the "Italian Harley Davidson". "Pride of Ownership" I found to be the mantra. It was all about the name and the image. Some didn't even ride them, they had other bikes or just didn't really ride at all. The bike was just part of it, the FB pages and owners groups were a clown show all in their own.. 😝
Oh dear... I can see you've got the hatred bad. Funny how we had completely different experiences on the same Marquee. I was in the Ducati Owners club for a couple of years, they were a great bunch of guys (definitely not posers lol) and we had some awesome day rides and weekends away together. Nothing but good memories for me.
I may even own another in the future! (y)

61 - 80 of 129 Posts