Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 129 Posts

· Registered
648 Posts
Looking like Suzuki may be pulling the MotoGP plug at the end of the season.. Suzuki to quit MotoGP World Championship at the end of this season?
And this isn't biding well for Suzuki as a continuing motorcycle manufacturer at all.. Interesting Notes From Suzuki’s Annual Report – SuperbikePlanet
Thanks for the share, that's really interesting news. Rins running off the track on Sunday didnt help their MotoGP cause! Mir did OK though and great to see Aleix Espargaro on the podium again.

· Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It would be sad if Suzuki folded as a motorcycle manufacture. Its a good thing that there will be plenty of used sv parts for 100's of years!

In the notes from superbikeplanet
"Suzuki’s “King Quad” ATV is basically the same machine that the other manufacturers offered in the early 2000s."
"Suzuki’s 2022 GSX-S1000GT “Grand Touring” bike has an engine that has been in the Suzuki line-up since 2005."
This goes for most of Suzuki's bikes. While many of the other manufactures are coming up with new models, Suzuki is like a turtle giving everyone the middle finger.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
It would be sad if Suzuki folded as a motorcycle manufacture. Its a good thing that there will be plenty of used sv parts for 100's of years!

In the notes from superbikeplanet
"Suzuki’s “King Quad” ATV is basically the same machine that the other manufacturers offered in the early 2000s."
"Suzuki’s 2022 GSX-S1000GT “Grand Touring” bike has an engine that has been in the Suzuki line-up since 2005."
This goes for most of Suzuki's bikes. While many of the other manufactures are coming up with new models, Suzuki is like a turtle giving everyone the middle finger.
And here in my part of the world (Springfield MO area) you can't find a new Suzuki motorcycle for sale anywhere. All brands are scarce (especially given the one large Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Triumph, Indian dealership looks to have closed), Suzuki are non existent. Have to go to St Louis, Kansas City, or out of State to get one. I wondered back in 2020 how they would fare, we'll see..

· Registered
648 Posts
And.. The story is that the WithU RNF Yamaha satellite squad will likely be RNF Aprilia next year. That will be 4 Aprilias on the grid and only two Yamahas.
For me this is good news as an Aprilia rider and fan! Vinales still seems to be struggling with the Aprilia though. I think he qualified P24 😕
Really interesting front row for the race, the rookies having their moment in the sun! Looking forward to flag drop.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Aprilia seem to be doing decently this year. Still seem to be kind of a "one rider" bike (like Yamaha and Honda), but then, Vinales struggles with everything so it's hard to tell. If Toprak wanted to go to MotoGP bad enough, gotta wonder what he could do on the Aprilia.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Good race at Assen this morning, though definitely a bad day at the office for Quartararo. Aprilia look to be coming together more and more all the time and could be a real late season thing. And, if you have the video pass, be sure and watch the MotoE race. It was ever bit as frantic as any Moto 3 show.. 😃

· Registered
648 Posts
Good race at Assen this morning, though definitely a bad day at the office for Quartararo. Aprilia look to be coming together more and more all the time and could be a real late season thing...
It was a beauty alright, way more entertaining than the German round the wkd before. As an Aprilia rider I loved it! Great to see Vinales finally getting to grips with his Aprilia and putting it on the podium. But Aleix Espargaro's ride form 15th to 4th was epic. Esp that last lap lunge taking both Miller and Binder in one swipe. Very ballsey!
Cant wait till the 5 week summer break is over and we can recommence battle. Fabio's 21 point lead is looking more fragile now. Great viewing.

· Registered
2008 SV650S
199 Posts
The Ben Spies time was strange to say the least. Won 3 titles in AMA Superbike, went to WSBK and easily won the title, went to MotoGP and it all fell apart. Did pretty good for a couple seasons (even won a race), but then started crashing and getting hurt. Some weird failures too. Swing arm broke at Laguna (swing arm on a factory MotoGP bike just broke??) Brakes over 1000 degrees in the first 2-3 laps of another race? Crashes and injuries to follow, then getting shunted off to the career ending capital of the time, Ducati..
Don't like to be a conspiracy theorist, but watching it all at the time, got the feeling that Ben was never really wanted in MotoGP. Yamaha went with him, but when he got too close to the front, the end was placed..
Ben Spies reminded me a lot of Colin Edwards. Very similar dominance in other motorcycle racing organizations, just to bomb it in MotoGP. Nicky Hayden was the only one from recent memory that won a title without being a groomed MotoGP rider. And his title was an odd one too (I’ll never forget when he was torpedoed by Pedrosa on the penultimate race), he won maybe 3 races that season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
69 Posts
(I’ll never forget when he was torpedoed by Pedrosa on the penultimate race), he won maybe 3 races that season?
My son was about 7 or 8 that season and was fully vested in Nicky's triumph. When Dani made that bonehead move we booed and cursed. Since that time, we use "pedrosa" as a verb to "undermine": "Don't pedrosa my move to the studio apartment" is something he said just a couple of weeks ago, as I was trying to talk him out of a bad move.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
2006 when Nick won the title (with 2 race wins) it was closely fought, with him only beating Rossi by 5 points. The highlight of the last race that year at Valencia was Troy Bayliss wildcarding on the Ducati in his only MotoGP race, and winning it in style.😃

· Registered
2008 SV650S
199 Posts
My son was about 7 or 8 that season and was fully vested in Nicky's triumph. When Dani made that bonehead move we booed and cursed. Since that time, we use "pedrosa" as a verb to "undermine": "Don't pedrosa my move to the studio apartment" is something he said just a couple of weeks ago, as I was trying to talk him out of a bad move.
That move was the beginning of me seriously disliking him. HRC then made him their number one rider for the 2007 season even though Hayden gave them the title the previous season. The whole thing was set up for Pedrosa, even the switch to 800cc machines which made them friendlier to transition from 250cc. And none of that worked for him. He just wasn’t as good as expected. Casey Stoner flew under the radar in 2006, then in 2007 he made a serious presence on a satellite Honda. And well the rest is history. Pedrosa won zero titles while being in a factory Honda for his whole career, and Casey retired at the top of his career winning in whatever he was given. I wish he stayed for a few more seasons and see if he could put a dent on Marquez dominance.
2006 when Nick won the title (with 2 race wins) it was closely fought, with him only beating Rossi by 5 points. The highlight of the last race that year at Valencia was Troy Bayliss wildcarding on the Ducati in his only MotoGP race, and winning it in style.
Yeah it was just two wins. He was consistent, and that’s all what was needed that season. Troy Bayliss was a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
648 Posts
After the weekend I'm putting my money on Bagnaia for the Championship crown now. Four wins on the bounce is pretty good form. Another good weekend for the Italian Marquees filling the podium spots. Vinales is going really well on the Aprilia now but obviously I was disappointed to see Aussie rider Jack Miller crash out from the lead so early in the race.
Good race though, everyone loves a close finish.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Read that Yamaha was planning to bring out a prototype of the '23 bike at the test yesterday and today, but haven't really seen any results. I was kind of surprised when Quartararo signed a two year deal on the "promise" of a better bike. Believe I would have went with a one year "we'll see" deal.
Yamaha (and Honda) are going to have to pull their head's out and do something next year or it's going to be another Ducati Cup like WSBK used to be.

· Registered
648 Posts
Read that Yamaha was planning to bring out a prototype of the '23 bike at the test yesterday and today, but haven't really seen any results. I was kind of surprised when Quartararo signed a two year deal on the "promise" of a better bike. Believe I would have went with a one year "we'll see" deal.
Yamaha (and Honda) are going to have to pull their head's out and do something next year or it's going to be another Ducati Cup like WSBK used to be.
True, Yamaha have got the same problem as Honda where they've only got one 'freak of nature' type of rider who can make the bike work for them. Morbedelli has been dreadful on the yamaha this year. Even Dovi couldnt get a result on it.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Quartararo is giving the updated motor a thumbs up. It's up several KPH on top speed from the current version with a few more minor changes still to go. If Yamaha gets even close to on par with the Ducati top end, barring an MM93 type injury, we could see a Championship reign that could go on for years (he's 23 and one of the youngest riders on the grid).
Even with the current (slooow) setup, FQ20 still left the test with the top time..

· Registered
726 Posts
Even with the current (slooow) setup, FQ20 still left the test with the top time..
On the other hand, he scored that time only at the end of the whole test sessions, with the track completely covered with tires compound, which allows for higher traction (that Yamaha has been lacking in the past two years, according to Rossi, Dovizioso and Morbidelli).

Not saying that they didn't improve, just questioning if the improvement is there to stay or if it's partly due to the circumstances.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts