Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 129 Posts

· Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Season is starting off to be an interesting one. The factory Ducati dominance predicted at the end of last season isn't coming to pass at all. Honda floundering, Yamaha totally dropped the ball by not doing something about the power deficit. Suzuki is there, but "there" is all. Satellite bikes, KTM, and now the Aprilia seem to be where it's at so far.
Two bikes in the top four is better than any of the other manufacturers. And Suzuki only fields two factory bikes.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Suzuki is fourth in the constructors so far with 37 points. Behind Ducati (61), KTM (55), and Aprilia (45). But they're ahead of Yamaha (35) and Honda (24). Still early in the season though, see how it all stands at the summer break.

· Registered
70 Posts
This is a little side note on the last GP round in Termas de Rio Hondo. I grew up in a city about 60 miles to the north, and Termas was this little backwater town with a tired, old resort that had thermal pools for soaking, and a couple of second rate restaurants. It was the place you went to when you couldn't afford time or money to go someplace better.

Imagine my surprise about a decade ago when I was on the bus from Buenos Aires on the way to my hometown and the bus rolls through Termas and I see this billboard. I honestly thought it was a joke of some sort. I snapped a picture to ask my cousin what the prank was all about

Imagine my double surprise when he confirmed that this was actually a thing, that Termas was positioning itself as an event center and that they were building a world class track.

Imagine my triple surprise when they actually pulled it off.

Hats off to my provincial cousins, whose former reputation was that of a deep commitment to a lengthy siesta. They not only did this track, but also the fanciest stadium in the whole country. They built it, and they came.

Tree Racing Sports equipment Tire Wheel

· Registered
648 Posts
The Suzuki is the best looking bike in MotoGP hands down. Love the stylish exhaust system 👌

@Maximo Yes, full credit to Termas and also Indonesia for building the new Mandalika circuit. Great foresight, I hope they reap the rewards from their investment. I doubt the NZ govt would ever invest in anything like this esp given our isolated global position.

· Registered
6,247 Posts
This is a little side note on the last GP round in Termas de Rio Hondo. I grew up in a city about 60 miles to the north, and Termas was this little backwater town with a tired, old resort that had thermal pools for soaking, and a couple of second rate restaurants. It was the place you went to when you couldn't afford time or money to go someplace better.

Imagine my surprise about a decade ago when I was on the bus from Buenos Aires on the way to my hometown and the bus rolls through Termas and I see this billboard. I honestly thought it was a joke of some sort. I snapped a picture to ask my cousin what the prank was all about

Imagine my double surprise when he confirmed that this was actually a thing, that Termas was positioning itself as an event center and that they were building a world class track.

Imagine my triple surprise when they actually pulled it off.

Hats off to my provincial cousins, whose former reputation was that of a deep commitment to a lengthy siesta. They not only did this track, but also the fanciest stadium in the whole country. They built it, and they came.

View attachment 60964
That's a great shot on the billboard. Spies on the Yamaha, with Rossi and Nicky right behind him on Ducati's. Bit of a time capsule there. :)

Reactions: Maximo

· Premium Member
781 Posts
That's a great shot on the billboard. Spies on the Yamaha, with Rossi and Nicky right behind him on Ducati's. Bit of a time capsule there. :)
The Ben Spies time was strange to say the least. Won 3 titles in AMA Superbike, went to WSBK and easily won the title, went to MotoGP and it all fell apart. Did pretty good for a couple seasons (even won a race), but then started crashing and getting hurt. Some weird failures too. Swing arm broke at Laguna (swing arm on a factory MotoGP bike just broke??) Brakes over 1000 degrees in the first 2-3 laps of another race? Crashes and injuries to follow, then getting shunted off to the career ending capital of the time, Ducati..
Don't like to be a conspiracy theorist, but watching it all at the time, got the feeling that Ben was never really wanted in MotoGP. Yamaha went with him, but when he got too close to the front, the end was placed..

· Registered
726 Posts
In the mean time Danilo scored at his first attempt. (y)

Reactions: MOHillbilly

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Rins, and any other rider without a contract signed and in pocket for next year had better produce. There are already rumbles of a certain very talented Yamaha rider likely on the move for 2023..

· Premium Member
781 Posts
There was some form of uproar in a lot of classes and series this weekend. The Moto2 thing with Joe Roberts getting the unexpected win, Toprak and Rea coming together in WSBK, Gagne and Petrucci trading DNFs in MotoAmerica. Still haven't seen the second MotoAmerica SBK race and the Twins Cup. Something about them holding the SBKs on the line for so long Petrucci's bike overheated. See all that tomorrow I figure.

· Premium Member
781 Posts
Thank you! Strange that it's on Youtube but not on the (paid) MotoAmerica site (at least not the last time I checked an hour or so ago). Got the qualifiers, but not the race yet.

21 - 40 of 129 Posts