Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year had some great moments, this year also looks good, with a very tightly packed talented grid! My money is on Suzuki. I think Mir and Rins now have a good chance at the podium. If I had to choose between the two I would go with Rins. Suzuki has always been one of the best handling GP packages on the track, now they have the power to match.

·
Registered
587 Posts
There's a lot Ducati's there in the mix though.... The Yamahas still seem to be down on power.
I have to back Jack Miller as he's a fellow Australasian but I also like to see Alelx Espargaro go well as an Aprilia is underdog team and I ride one myself these days. Looking forward to the race.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I'm waiting to see how it all goes in the actual race scenario. Tire management being the usual number one focus. Suzuki has always been good at it, but we'll see how the added power plays out. As we've seen many times before, fast quali pace doesn't always translate to fast race pace (or duration). The Yamahas are in a bit of trouble at this time, but Doha is a fast track that lends well to big power, and a lot of other tracks aren't so much. We'll see.
Also watching Moto2 and a certain (very) young Spaniard who walked in from Moto3 and is doing very well right off the first lap. If he holds it together and continues to progress at his current rate, in a couple years Pedro Acosta is going to be a big thing..

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a lot Ducati's there in the mix though.... The Yamahas still seem to be down on power.
I have to back Jack Miller as he's a fellow Australasian but I also like to see Alelx Espargaro go well as an Aprilia is underdog team and I ride one myself these days. Looking forward to the race.
However Yamaha has Quartararo, he's a beast!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
However Yamaha has Quartararo, he's a beast!!
Yes he is a very talented rider as he proved last year but I think after watching the race that the Yamahas are going to struggle unless they find some power. Morbidelli didn't fire either.
It was a good close race but I wouldn't have picked that podium! Great to see some underdogs having their day but disappointing to see Miller pull out with an electronics issue. :confused:
Wouldn't want to call a season winner at this point!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Millers, electronics got 'lost' during Sunday's MotoGP.
I know the bikes electronics plays a huge role in Motogp, however, after reading this article
how these bikes are tuned to every track, corner-by-corner "so that, for example, 50% throttle during a change of direction will provide a different level of power to 50% throttle on the main straight." was eye opening. Lots more electronics/gps tracking on parts of the track than I realized!

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Millers, electronics got 'lost' during Sunday's MotoGP.
I know the bikes electronics plays a huge role in Motogp, however, after reading this article
how these bikes are tuned to every track, corner-by-corner "so that, for example, 50% throttle during a change of direction will provide a different level of power to 50% throttle on the main straight." was eye opening. Lots more electronics/gps tracking on parts of the track than I realized!

The GPS thing has been going on since the 990 days. I remember an article talking about Rossi's ability to put the front tire on the same centimeter of pavement in a particular corner for 5-6 laps straight (GPS aquired info). And, the GPS/mapping has been a problem for other riders in the past. During the 800 period, I remember a couple times the GPS loosing it's position on the track and doing pretty much the same as Miller's bike did. There is also a mass of data acquisition stuff onboard. You hear them talking about the "telemetry". After any given session, they plug the bike in and download the full black box file of everything the bike/rider did during the whole session. It's how they do the majority of the mapping/setting up of the bike. There is also the old saying, "if your telemetry is telling you one thing and your rider is telling you something else, listen to your rider". The telemetry gives hard data, but it can't set in the chair waving it's hands around making gestures and sounds giving the biological fine point input as to what that data actually means..

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mo, I never realized there was so much technology that goes into these MotoGP bikes. Makes me think of those GP riders I watched before I gave up riding onboard those wicked 500cc..Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz...much admiration!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Interesting line up, Pramac Ducati team will be happy with that. Some big names out the back inc the Honda boys. But yeah Fabio seems to have got his ducks in a row finally. I'm looking forward to the race later as for once we can watch it live at a respectable time here in New Zealand.

·
Registered
587 Posts
And... it rained.
My man Jack started off well as he's generally pretty good in the wet but slipped back to fourth. Full credit to Miguel Olivera on the KTM for a master class display on how to ride in the wet, and win!

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Season is starting off to be an interesting one. The factory Ducati dominance predicted at the end of last season isn't coming to pass at all. Honda floundering, Yamaha totally dropped the ball by not doing something about the power deficit. Suzuki is there, but "there" is all. Satellite bikes, KTM, and now the Aprilia seem to be where it's at so far.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Season is starting off to be an interesting one. The factory Ducati dominance predicted at the end of last season isn't coming to pass at all. Honda floundering, Yamaha totally dropped the ball by not doing something about the power deficit. Suzuki is there, but "there" is all. Satellite bikes, KTM, and now the Aprilia seem to be where it's at so far.
Yeah I prefer it when it's like this. The days of Marquez dominance are long behind us now. Pol Espargaro has been going well on the Honda but unfortunately pushed it a bit too hard. My man Miller had a mare for sure and Bagnaia on the other factory Duke ride is not going a lot better. Going to be interesting to see who the season tips towards as it unfolds. Anyone's game at this stage. Now that I ride an Aprilia I'm finding myself rooting for Aleix more and more!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts