Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last years motogp was outstanding! This year seems to be going in the same direction, already two exciting races! Anyone else following Motogp?
What do you think of last weeks race and the contact between Mir and Miller, especially the second?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I do!
It seems the last breed of rookies, from Moto3 all the way up to MotoGP, is really setting those races on fire.

My personal opinion on the contact between Mir and Miller is that Mir had previously behaved "uncorteously" onto Miller and, being the latter quite hot headed, he decided to get even if only for making it clear that he was not going to take it from anybody, not even from the world champ.

In general, on the whole race, I'm really, REALLY, puzzled by MotoGP bikes and their tires: I mean, I can't find a real reason to explain why the same bike, with the same setup, on the same track, at the same time but one week later, shall behave such differently (in general, and if you want a specific example I could cite Vinales).

The only possible explanation I can come up with is that Michelin tires have a very narrow range of temperatures for optimal performance, and a few degrees of difference might completely upset the whole bike and their duration.

Reactions: bighammer

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do!
It seems the last breed of rookies, from Moto3 all the way up to MotoGP, is really setting those races on fire.

My personal opinion on the contact between Mir and Miller is that Mir had previously behaved "uncorteously" onto Miller and, being the latter quite hot headed, he decided to get even if only for making it clear that he was not going to take it from anybody, not even from the world champ.

In general, on the whole race, I'm really, REALLY, puzzled by MotoGP bikes and their tires: I mean, I can't find a real reason to explain why the same bike, with the same setup, on the same track, at the same time but one week later, shall behave such differently (in general, and if you want a specific example I could cite Vinales).

The only possible explanation I can come up with is that Michelin tires have a very narrow range of temperatures for optimal performance, and a few degrees of difference might completely upset the whole bike and their duration.

The new comers to motogp mixed in with the veterans really are "setting those races on fire"
Yep, no accident. He wanted to check Mir for that earlier move. Mir moving his leg to say "My Bad" wasn't going to work with Miller.
Miller ended up getting some kind of operation for arm pump. I didn't know there was such an operation, only a few days for recovery too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
AKAIF, several pilots at all levels (from national to world championships) underwent this operation: it should consist in dissecting the membrane that encloses the forearm muscles, to allow for bigger expansion and better blood flow.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AKAIF, several pilots at all levels (from national to world championships) underwent this operation: it should consist in dissecting the membrane that encloses the forearm muscles, to allow for bigger expansion and better blood flow.
Long downhills runs while on my mtb I would experience arm pump, several friends also, never realized there was an operation to alleviate it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think it's high time Miller grew up and stopped playing childish games. He's letting ego get in the way regardless of what Mir's intentions may or may not have been. That contact in the last race was unbelievably immature and I would be reconsidering him as a rider if I was managing that team.
That being said, the drama in moto3 is amazing and that same attitude and contact make for amazing racing! I like watching moto3 just because these are still kids; it's almost like watching motocross.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't paid much attention to moto3, I think I'll start as I signed up for the whole package.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do!

Part of it, is everybody got faster from the first weekend. Some just more than others. Even though Rossi's finish position was much lower for round 2 his total race time was actually something like 5 sec faster than the first round.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I really really missed MotoGP in the off-season. So happy to have it back! Last year was fantastic and already looks like it'll be very interesting this year.

I agree with Skywalker on the Mir/Miller clash. I think any non-Ducati bike had to be a bit aggressive in the in-field to make up for the massive difference on the front straight. Seeing Rins pass the Ducs a few times and then be reeled in on the front straight every lap was something. I guess Mir tried his luck on Turn 10, was overambitious, made contact, and Miller lost his head and got his revenge. Seemed unnecessary, but his frustrations are probably building seeing that the Pramac boys are doing better than the Factory boys atm.

Vinales' 2nd race was really affected by his poor start I think, and having to battle his way through the pack. That, and everyone had race data from the first race, so they can better understand where they can improve, tire performance, and find ways to improve for the second race. I'm in Bahrain at the moment, just across from Qatar, and I can tell you that it was extremely windy on the first weekend, and still windy but less so on the second weekend. Apparently this had a negative impact on the Ducatis advantage on the front straight in Race 1, but less so in Race 2. All those details make a difference when we're talking about tenths and hundredths of seconds.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I have video subscriptions to MotoGP, WSBK, and the Moto America Superbike series (makes cable TV seen kinda cheap😄).
Moto3 can be mental sometimes. I've seen 7-8 lead changes in one lap with 12 or more people fighting in the lead group.
And yeah, I'm surprised Miller didn't get some sort of penalty for that move. There's a difference between a racing incident and a deliberate hit.
Everything has been Qatar so far this season, I'm really looking forward to Portimao..

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
While 2020 sucked in so many other ways, the racing was more exciting and unpredictable with Marquez just watching. Feels like we're off to a similar start for the 2021 season.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
It should be interesting to see what happens now with Marquez. I have a feeling that in his first race back, it's either going to be a podium, or a crash, there's no middle ground.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It should be interesting to see what happens now with Marquez. I have a feeling that in his first race back, it's either going to be a podium, or a crash, there's no middle ground.
[
I hear you, there is a lot expected of him, hope he takes care.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Figure even MM93 has to have the thought that if he crashes and injures the arm again, it's probably the end. And with that thought, I figure it's probably already the end.
Plus with it being his dominate arm, we'll see how much strength he has in it. You can get away with a bunged up leg (Micheal Doohan), but you can't be top level competitive with a bunged up arm (the long list of early career ends from shoulder/arm injuries)..

·
Registered
439 Posts
I truly hope for him he has grown some common sense.
His haste to come back is the main culprit for what he went through (the rest comes from not relying on advice from retired Dr. Costa), and his all-or-nothing attitude doesn' really help here.

It would be a real shame if his immense talent were to be stopped by inconsiderate behaviour.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Marquez crashed in todays MotoGP, looks ok, hope he is. The bike looked like it was in two pieces!

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
That was a big off alright. He ended up qualifying 14th. See how he goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Didn't watch the race yesterday but heard the echoes ...
I do really wonder: is FIM crafting rules to be the first to disattend them, or do they voluntarily craft them incomplete to be able to act as they wish?

Rule 2.4.5.2 defines the safety equipment every rider shall have (at least two working pieces of each) to compete in motogp: helmet, leather suit 1-piece, gloves, boots, spine protector and chest protector.
The same rule states that the safety kit shall be worn, correctly fastened, at all times during track activity.

In my (and I guess in most everybody's) opinion, if any part of the safety kit is not fit as per the rule, rider should be stopped for safety reasons. Period.

Unfortunately, FIM crafted a vital rule concerning riders' safety on track, and casually forgot to craft a rule detailing penalties for breaking such a rule.

Will we see in the next future riders intentionally breaking this rule to gain ANY competitive advantage they perceive as such, simply because the advantage they would gain is greater than 3 seconds?

I am a competitive shooter (practical shooting).
The international rules define earplugs/muffs and glasses as safety equipment: if at any time during an exercise a match official notices a misplaced competitor safety equipment, he SHALL immediately order him to stop and address his equipment malfunction/misplacement.
If the competitor has voluntarily removed his safety equipment to gain a competitive advantage, he shall be disqualified for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Should motorcycle riding be any diffferent?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts